Plain old staple gun for frames, melting foundation onto wires.

Been a couple of years since I had to make up frames, kinda forgot to glue em and only used 2x40mls nails down through the top bar into the side bars, as per previous thread. Scratched my head for a bit about how to fix em better to stop the frames falling apart once they have a bit of weight on them. Ended up getting some 14mm staples, fitted my standard staple gun, went sideways through the sidebars into the top bar, should hold! No I dont have a compressor...I wonder if this would be sufficient for future assembly without the nails at all, as should be a lot less likely to give if fixed horizontally....

Also had my first proper go at melting foundation onto the wires, is surprisingly easy! Didnt end up with a single pile of strips.... I have a 3-15V current limited bench power supply that worked a treat, but I imagine any old ATX PC PSU (on the 12v rails of course) or even a car battery would be just as easy.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt the 14mm staples would be enough, even with glue. I've used 40mm nails in the past, in the way you described, but angle them like so \ / - it makes it harder for them to pull out. If you still have problems (I occasionally do, but only because I have 34mm wide frames in some of my boxes and can't separate the first one before lifting out once they get some propolis built up on the shoulders) then you can drive another 40mm horizontally through the shoulder of the end bar as you're describing doing with your staples.

Doing inspections, I always start with the bottom box, meaning that any comb bridges between boxes are already broken, that saves leaving the bottom bar behind on the frame below it so one 40mm nail either end has always sufficed :)

I've been using 19mm panel pins nailed horizontally for nailing my frames together. Seems to work well, no problems so far. I use a 12V car battery charger to melt foundation into the frames. I sit a piece of mdf over the top of the foundation to add little weight. Around 3 sec of current running through the wire seems to do it pretty much perfectly every time.

• Like 3
I've been using 19mm panel pins nailed horizontally for nailing my frames together. Seems to work well, no problems so far. I use a 12V car battery charger to melt foundation into the frames. I sit a piece of mdf over the top of the foundation to add little weight. Around 3 sec of current running through the wire seems to do it pretty much perfectly every time.

Pretty much exactly how I put my home made frames together.