Drone samples wanted for research into NZ honeybee diversity

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

otto its definatly interesting stuff and though i only had a quick look at my results, i still don't understand fully can you help me understand what im reading, you may have to translate into preschool language for me, dont mind if you publish here.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

For those interested - and because Otto will be too modest to mention it - Otto has recently published the csd allele assay development work, including the development of the rapid screening assays (the 'differing curves' graphs earlier in this thread).

The introduction may be of interesting reading, if not the actual methods. . .

Genetic tests for alleles of complementary-sex-determiner to support honeybee breeding programmes Otto Hyink, Frans Laas, Peter K. Dearden

• Like 1

@otto would you be willing to create a small pdf abstract for the resources section? You can link it to the full document as I appreciate that there is a cost associated with the document.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

So looking at these graphs are they different lines of bees or the same? if different which ones are different?

Ta much

The test I am doing tells us what sex alleles are present in the drones collected from a hive. This is not enough information to say that two queen represent different lineages of bee (how many generations would you need to go through to consider them different lines?).

What I can say is that the two queens Alastair used for breeding did not have any sex alleles in common. This is good but the way things work with bees these two queen could still have had the same mother.

Otto great work.I can send you some drones next week.I do not have a breeding program.I let the strongest survive and breed off those bytaking a split and letting the split raise their own queens.I DO NOT treat for varroa other than trying to use small cell size 4.9mm.

• Like 1
Otto great work.I can send you some drones next week.I do not have a breeding program.I let the strongest survive and breed off those bytaking a split and letting the split raise their own queens.I DO NOT treat for varroa other than trying to use small cell size 4.9mm.

Impressed you still have some drones. Would love some, thanks. A little under-represented in West Coast samples.

Did mine arrive? Won't be huge variation in my guys, but I guess you can compare with other Hamilton bees.

Yes they did thanks Erin. Have done the DNA extractions but haven't run the assay yet.

• Like 1