• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like one of Dave's Italian queens. Cage it up and make a split ASAP

I might be new, but I'm not that new. :rofl:

you right Erin it is a wasp dosnt really matter its dead.did you see more or just the 1 in photo.and was it near a hive

It was about 10m away from a nuc - only saw the one, on a fence, and I introduced it to my mate Mort. (Mr Mort Ein...)

I call them paper wasps but I'm sure thats not at all correct we have alot around here they make tiny little comb like nests that hang off things and they sting!

Yeah, I call them paper wasps too. Was wondering if anyone knew anything more technical...

• Like 4
Yes. As far as I know. Australian Paper wasp. they make a very pretty nest like a mushroom. Sting is very painful.

I don't believe they would be a problem to a hive as they do not form very big colonies, maybe a dozen wasps.

I assure you they can and do accasionaly make nests as large as a dinner plate with Hundreds of wasps, pays to nuke em before they get that big.

• Like 2
I assure you they can and do accasionaly make nests as large as a dinner plate with Hundreds of wasps, pays to nuke em before they get that big.

I agree. The only good wasp is a dead one. As I said their stings are very painful. I have never seen a nest as large as a dinner plate but I have seen the about the size of a small saucer.

• Like 1

I think the largest paper wasp nest I've seen was ~130mm across. I usually squish them when they're much smaller ~50mm. Glad to hear this is an Australian invader and that I haven't been ruthlessly destroying native bugs.

• Like 1
Thet are actually very good in the garden as natural predators (on the bad bugs)

I agree, not that we have them in Dunedin. The brood of paper wasps (and common/german wasps) is carnivorous and paper wasps collect a lot of caterpillars to feed to the larvae, such as those of the white cabbage butterfly. I do remember my Mum complaining about Monarch butterfly caterpillars disappearing though.

I've never seen paper wasps damaging hives and they certainly do some good on things like white butterfly Caterpillars. I'm fairly certain they have had a beneficial effect on the number of German and Common wasps because they compete for the same food. While they are a pest they are nowhere near as bad as the German wasp and I tend to just leave them alone unless they are very close to somewhere I'm working in the garden.nice photo by the way.

• Like 1

yes, they are good and non threatening.

however if you do get stung by god it hurts! like a red hot poker stuck into you and lasts about a week!

quite often find them hibernating under old bee gear. you soon know when you put your hand on one !

• Like 1
I agree, not that we have them in Dunedin. The brood of paper wasps (and common/german wasps) is carnivorous and paper wasps collect a lot of caterpillars to feed to the larvae, such as those of the white cabbage butterfly. I do remember my Mum complaining about Monarch butterfly caterpillars disappearing though.

They eat my monarch caterpillars :cry:

I'm gunna get the little ######s with some carbaryl this year...

I love my caterpillars! :x3:

• Like 2

When you say the sting hurts think about hornets. I got stung by 2 hornets in the same time back in 1986. I was bold and one stung me back in my had and the other one in my back. Both points had a huge redness, the size of an adult's hand.

I think we have to protect our hives against the wasps and not kill them on any cost. Few years ago I read as the American government collaborates with several research institutes from around the world to bring back the wasp population in farming areas in USA(i.e. the more wasps they have on a field of wheat or corn the less or non pesticide will be used).