Who has RewaRewa flowers in their area?????

1 heketara , is just about finished flowering , yet to see bees collect pollen off it . 2 wineberry . 3 kamahi ,appears to be the number 1 choice by numbers of bees working it, just getting started (about 2 weeks early) 4 mahoe . Bees were working the top of the tree in the sun

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been looking at the rewarewa, and are finding very few flowers it ranges from none on a tree to about half a dozen. Talked to another beek who said he has been driving around looking the last few days and cant find any. Thoughts..... is this a year of very little rewarewa flow?

Yep look at one rewarewa today and yep only saw three flower on the whole tree ,there was lot of seed pods from last year still hanging one

bees love Titoki but there normally isn't enough around my hives to make much difference and I have no idea what the honey is like. Has anyone out there ever got a surplus from this tree. Its certainly a beautiful native and deserves to be more widely planted.

Auckland Council plants plenty of Titoki seems a very popular tree to plant.

• 4 weeks later...
Hedging! Thats the answer - get everyone to plant manuka hedges rather than sodding barberry.

Barberry is a good source of pollen and necter during Oct, right when hives are expanding fast and need lots of food. Where i live there are some Manuka plants that are flowering now but the bees never seem to touch them prefering instead kamahi, clover and tawari which are also flowering now.

• Like 2

I do agree Jamo barberry is still valuable to bees we have good patchs of it in places and i think the bees did well of it this year, but it would be good to see more hedges in genral instead of the grass desserts called dairy farms we see these days.

• Like 3
I do agree Jamo barberry is still valuable to bees we have good patchs of it in places and i think the bees did well of it this year, but it would be good to see more hedges in genral instead of the grass desserts called dairy farms we see these days.

Barberry hedge made good wind break I have two site on one farm about 2 km apart one site is cool and the one behind the hedge is a hot house

• 2 weeks later...
Which weather are you talking about?

The freakish winds and high rains that hit the north island recently. Also, the next batch on the way.

Granted, I'm in Wellington, so its all a bit more magnified here.

Look out for the blossoms. If the levels are low, and the bees not working the blossoms of the Manuka, then the harvest will be reduced...

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...