Entering the world of BK - harder than it seems....!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I only started recently myself and was sure there would me no one in my area to help. That was the undertatement of the year. Started to ask around and found 3 other beekeepers within a 3km radius, the closest my new neighbour( that was a bit of a supprise). Just put the word out, you will soon find someone that can help.

You will find heaps of help theres a guy on here from hawarden little way from you but not to bad John V is his user name plus theres a few from Christchurch, Your doing the right thing though all the reaseacrh etc.. good luck.

Very annoying, although the hope is the greatest evil that did not want to come out of Pandora's box.

Believe in yourself.

Patience is the mother of wisdom.

You have many ways to accomplish the goal.

With me in my belief the government environment.

First Beehives have to buy.

2.The second to get a gift

3.A third to steal

So they believe must be done to have a lot of bees.

(I forgot that the place from which it was stolen beehives have to leave money on the cost)

Price one hive in ancient times it was one (dukat) gold coins.

It is an old belief, superstition.

• Like 1

The expensive hives on Trade Me, may not be as expensive as they seem. If you work out the cost of a kitset hive, then factor the several hours it may take you to put it together plus paint and nails, then the cost of bees to put in it, and then time to get it established, the genuine cost of a hive is higher than many first imagine.

Having said that, there are some rip off artists selling bees on Trade Me. I think that to seperate the wheat from the chaff, if a hive is highly priced, check that the gear is new, or at least this seasons. If it's old, worn gear, only buy if the price is right.

Importantly, have an experienced beekeeper look at the hive, as a newbee DON'T buy an established hive without some independent advise.

I do recall a thread here once where people were outraged at a hive being advertised for around $500.00. But when somebody actually did the maths, it turned out this 5 story established hive, with healthy bees and honey on board, was not a cheap bargain, but it WAS fairly priced.

• Like 2
You will find heaps of help theres a guy on here from hawarden little way from you but not to bad John V is his user name plus theres a few from Christchurch, Your doing the right thing though all the reaseacrh etc.. good luck.

Thanks Tony. I'll help Devon where I can and point in the best direction. Here is where I look most of the time for myself, along with my books and my Telford info.

At present I don't have any bees to spare, but the intention is that after my autumn and next spring splits I will have.

I'm messaging Devon with some suggestions locally as to where to look for bees, and hopefully one of them will also take Devon under their wing.

• Like 2

Looking at a price list from Beeline Supplies, in Dunedin, a complete hive (no bees) consisting of mesh floor, fd box, 3/4 box, hive mat (all dipped) plus 20 plastic frames waxed, queen excluder and lid will cost you $204.70 inc GST. For $555 they will sell you a package of all that plus a bee suit, gloves, smoker, hive tool, cappings scratcher and Practical Beekeeping in NZ. Still no bees, though, and delivery is extra.

I usually get boxes from another supplier. A ready-to-go box, dipped and with wooden frames assembled with foundation, sets me back around the $50 mark. A kitset box is about $14-$15 plus frames. I build my own if I have time, and buy them if I don't.

• Like 3
fifty for a wax dipped box with wooden frames assembled wired and foundation? If so please tell me how to contact this person.
Now you have me worried and I've been looking for my old invoices. 10 fd frames wired and waxed cost me $25.50 plus GST in January from Bee Supplies (Otago). I've found his price list from June 2011, and fd supers nailed and dipped were $15.39 plus GST. I think the supers have gone up a bit now, hence my estimate of $50.
  • Like 1

Wow - you guys rock! Thanks for all the advice and encouragement, there is hope after all!

Gwenda - I have the next field day on the calendar, so hopefully see you there.

Kevin and Daley - if I am ever in your neighbourhoods I will drop by!!

John - thanks heaps for your suggestions, will be following up. :)

• Like 1
Thanks Tony. I'll help Devon where I can and point in the best direction. Here is where I look most of the time for myself, along with my books and my Telford info.

At present I don't have any bees to spare, but the intention is that after my autumn and next spring splits I will have.

I'm messaging Devon with some suggestions locally as to where to look for bees, and hopefully one of them will also take Devon under their wing.

Thanks John yea i didn't think you would have spear but thought you might know who to contact there.

• Like 1

Hi as a new beek I know how hard it is to get started was very lucky to get help form this site as Margot I hope to build up my hives read read read and hope to get in a place to help others into bee keeping .

I still sit down by my hive's and just watch them it's hard to believe I now have bees I've been working 70Hrs a week of late with our rubbish weather getting home and putting my ear to the hive and hear the hum seams to help to unwind .

Keep a eye on here and something will come up

Don‘t forget that as well as the suppliers in the directory that Chris Valentine has suits smokers and hivetools.

Have run out of suit at the moment wait for next order to be made ,there have been some change to the suit like a better mesh and bigger sizes

But still go hive tools and smokers a few uncapped fork and a couple of honey gates