Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry

Archive flying critters & my attempt at photos

[quote="kevin moore, post: 27183, member: 268"]Jerry are your honey squares you brought looking like this ?[/quote] Yeah! And that's the first pic I've seen that shows how to actually use them! A little late now but for next season, sweet as. Is that your photo? Sent via Tapatalk

[quote name='Jerry']Yeah! And that's the first pic I've seen that shows how to actually use them! A little late now but for next season, sweet as. Is that your photo? Sent via Tapatalk[/quote] They look amazing, you make me wanna do some!

[quote="kevin moore, post: 27183, member: 268"]Jerry are your honey squares you brought looking like this ?[ATTACH=full]3178[/ATTACH][/quote] Very good! Takes a bit of skill that. Have you weighed them all to make sure they're the same ;) Sent using Tapatalk HD

Sorry chaps, it was a picture i found to show Jerry what to do, I have not done any for a few years now you need a really strong hive and honey flow to get a good result like that pic, Jerry i have found a box with some of the frames if they any good too you for next year, ms me

That's really cool to see. Thanks for posting Kevin. My Dad says my great grandfather used to do honey sections like that - and here I thought I was the first beekeeper in my family!

[quote name='Erin']That's really cool to see. Thanks for posting Kevin. My Dad says my great grandfather used to do honey sections like that - and here I thought I was the first beekeeper in my family![/quote]Apparently my grandfather kept bees too. Must have been well before my time

The affliction must skip a generation. My grandfather was a beekeeper as well. Well before my time though but dad tells me about his experiences with them

[quote name='Hobbler']The affliction must skip a generation. My grandfather was a beekeeper as well. Well before my time though but dad tells me about his experiences with them[/quote]Dad tells me there used to be lots of gear in the shed. Wonder how they kept them back then. Could have been anytime from 1930's to late 1960's. Still struggling to work out how I did not know. I do remember old horse collars and gear lying around for haymaking, ploughing etc the old old way. Beekeeping was probably just another chore

My poppa passed a 6 months or so back, amongst some whisky and bagpipe paraphernalia left to me was a little bee book. The family are completely confused why he had this but I guess great minds think alike! Kevin, have messaged you :) [attachment=3588:name]

[quote="kevin moore, post: 27183, member: 268"]Jerry are your honey squares you brought looking like this ?[ATTACH=full]3178[/ATTACH][/quote] Does the picture show the packaging of a box full of comb honey or is this how the comb frames is placed in a hive?

this was in the paper on the 20/3/1896, relating to wood for honey squares

Have a few bumble bees around the property... Here's an unlucky bald one (although going bald isn't completely unlucky... I heard) [attachment=3663:name]

[quote name='Jerry']Have a few bumble bees around the property... Here's an unlucky bald one (although going bald isn't completely unlucky... I heard) [ATTACH=full]3289[/ATTACH][/quote]:Looks old. Had a busy life. Some of my older bees go bald and black and shiny on the abdomen just like that