new bee keeper and my experiences

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes that's the interesting thing. Most of the American small cell beekeepers like to claim they are "natural". In fact, forcing bees onto 4.9 sized cells, in this NZ anyway, is very unnatural for the bees, they don't take to it well.

• Like 1

Hi yes I might of put you wrong on the small cell thing what I was trying to say was I want to try and get the bees to draw their own comb .

I was told a long time ago by a old beek that there is no "F$%KING one running round after swarms putting down foundation for them " then told me to stop asking so many questions grumpy old ###### :)

I'm no pot smoking hippy tried it and chocked on the handle I will nuke the mites if they get up in numbers I just want to make good strong hives and have fun playing with bees so I'm trying diffent things .

And thank you for your replies Glynn

Ps checked my hive out today think I saw the Queen lots of uncaped honey in the brood boxes and pollen they have just about finished drawing out my 3/4 box with foundation now I wait to see if they will make nice comb on frames

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok being a dumb arse when i was feeding the nuc I thought I would take a look at the Queen cell only to find they had joined two frames together and I've torn the Queen cell will they fix the cell as it's not been caped yet or is my first split heading south .how long would you wait before adding a frame with fresh eggs into the nuc

Right put another frame with new eggs in nuc shook the bees of the frame as the nuc was chocker with bees found more Queen cells on that one but no eggs in them here's hoping I've got things right now

Thanks for the help

So my Nuc box is going gangbusters making comb nearly twice is big as last photo but they are also fulling the comb with honey as they go is this sugar syrup I've been feeding them or are they bringing it in should I take the feeder out and put in another frame have not touched the frames the Queen cell is on so heres hoping it's all good

Hi in my main hive I have one frame with Drone cells in the middle maybe 12 odd cells and only one frame should I worry about it should I let them superseed was this way I got Queen cells I thought it was swarming

Thanks again for all your help

One week on the frame is going well they have been putting honey in it as they go nice hot day today first in a week so should see more progress

P1000240.JPG.9001441610f92e994e4e3d910c40ea32.JPG

This is the frame I was asking about only one side has drone comb and some unused Queen cups and the Queen has started to lay more eggs in the lower box now I have taken the Q/E of the hive to try and get the bees to store more honey in the super as they seem quite happy to full the brood box with honey and not in the super P1000241.JPG.1f23585952444523fb86527f554900b7.JPG

P1000244.JPG.aadeaebf3a1ea8f75e0251e1f07d1c58.JPG

P1000243.JPG.587046cd9ea7915a84d4e48fd4c22892.JPG

P1000242.JPG.985d7e3eef4f28885b3ef0d0c5e2dc02.JPG

Glynn

It's normal for the eggs to be laid in a half moon shape and surrounded by bands of pollen and honey out to the edge of the frame in the brood box/area. They'll store honey in the super once they're satisfied it's not needed as a "ready meal".

Cheers

Roger

• Like 1

hi yes thanks for that but I was trying to get a photo of the drone comb in the middle of pics 2 and 3 that I'm worried about .

I lifted the lid today and the bees are working hard on the super I think they where storing to much honey in the brood nest as there is 4 full frames in both brood boxes and they still need to draw out the super frames foundation

hi yes thanks for that but I was trying to get a photo of the drone comb in the middle of pics 2 and 3 that I'm worried about .

Yes, you have drone cells (the raised ones) right the way through those combs. It's quite a poor brood pattern, I would make plans to change the queen (or unit to a good colony). What do you know about that queen?

Thanks Dave

It was hatched last year the drone cells are only on this one frame and the hive is busting with bees I took a split of it to make a nuc as there where Queen cells in the hive there are still Queen cells in the hive but no eggs in them .

I thought the hive was going to swam but it could of been the bees where trying to supersede .

I thought it was because I had put a new undrawn comb below the super crowding them below the Queen excluder the brood box has a lot of honey in it and none in the super .

I removed the Queen excluder and the empty super there is now bees on the super with dawn frames and some foundation .

Do I leave them to supersede or get a Queen cell

Do I leave them to supersede or get a Queen cell

A cell from a good line would be my choice, but if this comb is not representative of the brood pattern as a whole I'd just watch for a while. It would still be a good idea I think to re-queen in the late summer/early autumn.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi any one know where I can get a small amount of Oxalic Acid from in Christchurch.

NZ Beeswax Ltd only does 25kg lots even thought they say they sell it by the kg :mad: I want to try some on a vaporizer I have built