Comvita launches beekeeping apprenticeship programme

4 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Seems hard to get, says you must be studying under a tertiary education provider etc

not hard to get and a lot of beekeepers are looking into doing it.
If you have a few workers why not get them on an apprenticeship. 
if the Govt are going tO hand Out money Willy nilly why not get on that gravy train

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Three years to learn how to overstock, site steal and lose money.  Wouldn't have thought it took that long.

I'm going to come right out and say that I sold 50 hives to a Comvita Team Leader (guy who is in charge of a team of beekeepers). Before he drove off with them I asked him to go through and check each

Hi @jamesc, I got three boys too, we could do a swap.....only joking! But seriously I do agree that the young ones should go out and learn somewhere else, I do encourage mine so, to  learn something e

19 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

not hard to get and a lot of beekeepers are looking into doing it.
If you have a few workers why not get them on an apprenticeship. 
if the Govt are going tO hand Out money Willy nilly why not get on that gravy train

I'll have to sign up my apprentice with north tech to do a beekeeping course then so he'll be eligible 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
2 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

apparently you can be the trainer yourself you don’t need to sign them up to An outside organisation 

And therein lies the problem. With traditional apprenticeships, the trade organisation comes to a consensus as to what constitutes 'best practice' and I for one really don't wish to see a proliferation in corporate style methods. Things like vast dump sites which are placed where some office noddy decides is convenient, regardless of the impact on surrounding stationary apiaries, and poaching sites from locals in an area.

• Agree 3

Far out you guys! Talk about the village folk being out with the Pitch Forks looking to lynch someone.

I have personally worked with a large number of the Comvita Branches and have found all the staff to be very good and capable beekeepers.

Just like every business, there are different levels of skill and knowledge.

Attack the brand name -sure, I understand that, but to have a go at the staff and the apprentice program is pretty low. In fact I’m disappointed ☹️ 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

, Comvita are constantly out there in the news saying ,look at me ,look at me.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that when someone actually does look they are less than enchanted . Especially a few years ago they were a very aggressive company and they didn't make many friends. There are absolutely a a lot worse bee havers out there but that still doesn't make what they have done acceptable.

The bottom line is that despite the huge damage inflicted by corporate beekeepers on let's call them traditional beekeepers these traditional beekeepers have still by in large made a good living in the last 10 years while the vast majority of the corporate's have only survived by borrowing other people's money often over and over again.

They are  poor role models to be teaching beekeeping regardless of whether they have competent beekeepers working for them or not.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1
1 hour ago, john berry said:

It shouldn't surprise anyone that when someone actually does look they are less than enchanted . Especially a few years ago they were a very aggressive company and they didn't make many friends. There are absolutely a a lot worse bee havers out there but that still doesn't make what they have done acceptable.

The bottom line is that despite the huge damage inflicted by corporate beekeepers on let's call them traditional beekeepers these traditional beekeepers have still by in large made a good living in the last 10 years while the vast majority of the corporate's have only survived by borrowing other people's money often over and over again.

They are  poor role models to be teaching beekeeping regardless of whether they have competent beekeepers working for them or not.

Yes but...are the Beekeepers being taught how to stomp on others? Or beekeeping skills? 

Agree, the company is a poor example success. Though it's big and employs many. And that is where companies get leverage. 

Tiwia Point, 

I finished the " beekeeping school" or whatever they call it. If I had no mentor, I will know nothing even having  " paper of beekeeping qualifications". Theory and practice - he kept pushing me to improve.. In that process we become friends, even some things now we do differently from each other we keep exchanging thoughts and experiences. He is also still learning as he use to say.. 

• Like 3
On 29/10/2020 at 11:07 AM, john berry said:

And I could point out numerous examples of Arataki poor beekeeping practice around the South Waikato too.

But I won’t, because there’s three fingers pointing back at me🤣

• Like 2
On 28/10/2020 at 6:30 PM, dansar said:

Far out you guys! Talk about the village folk being out with the Pitch Forks looking to lynch someone.

I have personally worked with a large number of the Comvita Branches and have found all the staff to be very good and capable beekeepers.

Just like every business, there are different levels of skill and knowledge.

Attack the brand name -sure, I understand that, but to have a go at the staff and the apprentice program is pretty low. In fact I’m disappointed ☹️ 

The thing is, if you behave badly, and people notice you behaving badly.. is it your fault for the behaviour or their fault for noticing?

and why is it that people are expected not to comment? Or to only comment in a positive manner which suits your narrative.

Your not going to get a pat on the back for a small good deed when on the whole you are demonstrating bad behaviour.

The idea of corporate entities teaching beekeeping is laughable, except they are doing it with our money, so personally I don’t think it’s that funny.

• Like 2