I inspected my hive today and found some red in some of the cells.  I noticed a bee with red pollen on it's legs so I'm

assuming this is normal....but would have thought it should all be yellow.  Can someone confirm if red pollen is ok?

I didn't take a photo.  Probably 6 red cells sprinkled about.  I've never noticed it before today.

I have had bayvarol strips in the hive for 6 weeks.  I should have removed them today but didn't check the dates.

The box says 6-8 weeks.  Will remove them in 2 weeks time.  I only have one hive.  I am wondering about the honey

being contaminated while the strips are in.  Can anyone comment on this possibly?   

Found a fully capped queen cell which was half way up the frame, and a couple of half ones which I destroyed.  

I destroyed the fully capped QC.  I know the Queen is getting on in age, as her wings are getting a bit frazzled,

but she seems to be laying.  Now I'm wondering if it was a supercedure cell and should I have left it alone.

Don't want any swarming so decided to play safe.   A bit stressful being a beginner..........but still fun.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome to the forum! The first post is always the hardest.   Pollen comes in a multitude of different colours.   Yes, leave your strips in for a full treatment.   If you

Here in Dunedin I get red pollen in town hives. I'm pretty sure this comes from horse chestnut trees, which are commonly planted large trees. These are flowering around town at the moment.  Polle

Hi Bron   Thank you for responding, I really appreciate it.  The brood box still has room, and I added another three quarter super at the last inspection - they are still drawing out th

Welcome to the forum! The first post is always the hardest.

Pollen comes in a multitude of different colours.

Yes, leave your strips in for a full treatment.

If your Queen is looking a bit tatty it was probably a superceedure cell. Two to four cells are not uncommon, (cups & cells everywhere - swarm more likely) choose to keep two of varying ages (one capped, one uncapped.) Make sure your Queen has plenty of room to lay, if your hive is starting to look cluttered add another brood box (if you only have one) or put a super on above an excluder so the honey is not being packed into the brood area. Better to wait until the treatment is out if you can,  before adding your honey super.

Read about swarming in Practical Beekeeping. 

Enjoy your beekeeping. The girls generally know what they’re doing even if we don’t.

• Like 3

Hi Bron

Thank you for responding, I really appreciate it.  The brood box still has room, and I added another

three quarter super at the last inspection - they are still drawing out the comb so nothing in there

at this stage.  Yes I am watching the ecrotek videos, reading Practical beekeeping etc and I know

with more time I will become more confident and able. 🙂

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Otto said:

Here in Dunedin I get red pollen in town hives. I'm pretty sure this comes from horse chestnut trees, which are commonly planted large trees. These are flowering around town at the moment. 

Pollens come in many different colours and more colours appearing in your hive is only a good thing. It means the bees are getting a good, varied diet.

Not flax?

Thank you for responding........yes I do have some flax flowering at the moment......but there could also

be some horse chestnut trees about.   As I'm at Narrow Neck on the North Shore, Auckland we are surrounded

by pohutakawa, and they are starting to flower, but the pollen is yellow.   Glad to hear that is it normal and

thank you for taking the time to let me know everything is ok.