Bees dying outside hive

Hi, I have a number of bees dying outside my hive, this has happened before, I have varroa treatments installed, afb free and a healthy queen, any idea what’s causing this? Pesticides? Karaka poisoning? 

Wondering  if there is some way I can get the bees tested? Maybe at a lab or a university?

thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rather confusing this reply, as some hands can hold a cupful.   Maybe there is a chilling factor as well,we have had cold and windy weather and not all bees make back into the hive.

Hello @Mattrusty

Welcome to the forum.

to help us help you- some more information would be good as all the options you offer may be possibilities.

Do you have just one hive or several and if several, do the others have these symptoms?

What kind of area are your hives located in? Is agricultural spraying a possibility or are you subject to home gardeners?

What varroa treatment have you used?

What is 'a number' of bees and under what circumstances did it happen before?

How long have you had bees and do you have contacts with local beekeepers in your area?

We occasionally get asked to do this type of testing, but it really is exceptionally difficult. Assuming that the cause of death is even chemical related - which it may not be - there are hundreds of thousands of chemicals in a bee, and trying to distinguish the natural ones from the artificial ones is like looking for a needle in a haystack. 

Your best bet is to find a lab which does a multiresidue pesticide or toxin suite, and see if they'll test a bag of bees for you. If it's something like a common pesticide it might come up positive, and if it's not, you may be out of luck.

off topic, but I've been using a free photo resizing program on my computer without any problems. But there are a lot of them for phones, windows (various versions) and so on. The people who produced the one I have used for more than ten years is attached. Though it has to be said I'm using a very old version with Win 7x64. I see it is still free.

WWW.RW-DESIGNER.COM

2 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

when saying you got bees dying outside of the hives, please put a number/size to it, if its a handful relax, if its a cupful don't relax.

Rather confusing this reply, as some hands can hold a cupful.

Maybe there is a chilling factor as well,we have had cold and windy weather and not all bees make back into the hive.

• Like 1

@Mattrustyare there dead bees also on the bottom board too? Also do bees have their tongue out?(that is from poisoning)

Few years ago I had one hive poisoned. There were lots of dead bees outside in the front of the hive and many others on the bottom board. Very few bees survived it. All those dead bees had their tongue out - poisoning. I didn't find out the source of poisoning.

But the most interesting part was that the other 8 hives in the apiary were absolutely fine. No problems there - not even 2 or 3 dead bees on the bottom board. It was obvious that only one hive foraged "something" from the bad source.

21 hours ago, Gerrit said:

Rather confusing this reply, as some hands can hold a cupful.

Maybe there is a chilling factor as well,we have had cold and windy weather and not all bees make back into the hive.

True, my choice of words not quite right, but you get the picture that a small amount of bees, probably nothing to stress about, but where you can scoop them up with a cup, you have a problem.