Where in Lower Hutt / Wellington can I get my boxes dipped in paraffin wax?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bees will cover the frames and the inside of the boxes with both wax and propolis. Do you have a copy of Practical Beekeeping in NZ by Matheson & Reid ? It's compulsory .

I do not believe they will have a dipper.   In fact I do not know of any bee club with that sort of facility.  Too expensive and too dangerous to use.  

Splash out and buy a nice shiny book that can live on your kitchen table. You'll end up referring to it lots. And as soon as you start buying other beekeeping stuff you'll probably  think the $44.95 i

1 hour ago, Stefan Schlogl said:

What is the actual purpose of dipping frames in paraffin wax? is it only for preserving the timber or is there another reason? 

Frames are too small to dip.  It is only the boxes that may get dipped.  Frames inside the hive are covered in wax and will last for many years.

Dipping is for wood preservation or disease control.

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Splash out and buy a nice shiny book that can live on your kitchen table. You'll end up referring to it lots. And as soon as you start buying other beekeeping stuff you'll probably  think the $44.95 is good value !

Cant agree more...to all of the above except the kitchen table🙂.(bedside) I had to promise I had read it cover to cover 3 times before an old beekeeper would assist me. And I still refer to it. The brand new price is well worth it. The level 3 courses are effectively based on it.

Edited by Mummzie

Paraffin dipping is basically to preserve the boxes but modern fast grown pine still goes rotten within five years. I strongly suggest you spend a bit more money and get either Thermo wood or eco-wood. The first is heat treated and really light but a bit brittle. Eco-wood is  tantalising without the arsenic. If you can get old pine weather trees are at least 50 years old that is also suitable as is macrocarpa. In England you can get all sorts of timber including cedar boxes. Metal X has been used over the years by many beekeepers to preserve the timber but there is some risk of contamination and it can't really be recommended anymore..

Do you get the practical beekeeping book and I strongly recommend joining a local club. Go and have a look inside someone else's beehive before you get too keen. Some people get one sting and never want to see a beehive again.

On 15/10/2020 at 2:33 PM, Stefan Schlogl said:

Thanks yesbut, i dont have a copy of the book yet but will buy one as soon as i find a reasonably-price copy. 

On 15/10/2020 at 5:31 PM, yesbut said:

Splash out and buy a nice shiny book that can live on your kitchen table. You'll end up referring to it lots. And as soon as you start buying other beekeeping stuff you'll probably  think the $44.95 is good value !

Wish I had followed this advice. I bought the PDF, read it twice and then bought the book as I wanted a copy I could read in the sun.

• Like 1