New Zealand pollen demand surging since COVID

Move over mānuka honey, there’s a new bee product creating a global buzz.

Demand for New Zealand bee pollen has skyrocketed since the outbreak of coronavirus, with one company saying sales have soared and there are no signs of a slow-down.

NatureBee says sales of its potentiated bee pollen capsules have increased five-fold over the last year as the Covid-19 pandemic drives a shift in consumer behaviour.

I.STUFF.CO.NZ

Demand for New Zealand bee pollen has skyrocketed amid the coronavirus pandemic.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are thousands of pollen traps rotting away in beekeepers sheds and paddocks. Pollen as always been a boom and bust industry. Only a tiny fraction of New Zealand hives have ever been used for pol

There are thousands of pollen traps rotting away in beekeepers sheds and paddocks. Pollen as always been a boom and bust industry. Only a tiny fraction of New Zealand hives have ever been used for pollen trapping and it only takes one or two new players to flood what is a very limited market.

Pollen trapping is a quite fascinating thing to do but making money from it is something that I don't think I've known anyone  to do successfully in the long-term.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 2
19 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

I just hope that it doesn't become another widespread fad with hobbyists - when overdone, it is the fastest way to reduce a queen's laying and staving a colony to a standstill.

Agree overall with this statement.  But if non manuka producers have got the wolf at the back door, commerciall outfits will get into pollen collection also.

Maybe it's going to require another question or two  added to the Colony Loss Survey