• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You really notice the temperament of bees when you get a sub optimal day for working bees like today. I like to bring all my breeders home, let them settle for a week or so and then work them in

Since no one seems to want to say something nice about  AMM bees I will give you my experience with them. They are nasty, unproductive , swarmy and disease prone. on the plus side they tend

....and of course, I just have to ask....why? why do you want aggressive bees? Why these ones? What do you see in them that I for one wouldnt want?

8 hours ago, Bighands said:

No unfortunately but will try to get some this season

Out of curiousity Bighands, do you mean the black bush bees?  

I went to the Coast quite a few years ago for a few weeks and did all the requeening for an operation, and I must say I found those black bees incredibly aggressive, and the guy was on a mission to get rid of that aggression.

One time I had a site over on Banks Peninsual, and I couldn't cull out the stroppy black strain quick enough.  

Are we both referring to the same type of bee? Or the same bee which you appear to like?

It is obvious you have never worked a pure AMM hive.How much sugar did you feed your hives this year? If you fed sugar is that sustainable? You have to learn to think outside the box.ANy mongrel is hard to work, but from my experience they work a hell of a lot harder than these italian things.

8 hours ago, Bighands said:

It is obvious you have never worked a pure AMM hive.How much sugar did you feed your hives this year? If you fed sugar is that sustainable? You have to learn to think outside the box.ANy mongrel is hard to work, but from my experience they work a hell of a lot harder than these italian things.

Hi. Are pure amm usually aggressive? If so, I would have a few complaints from persons in orchards...lol. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
On 6/10/2020 at 7:02 PM, mischief said:

....and of course, I just have to ask....why? why do you want aggressive bees?

Why these ones?

What do you see in them that I for one wouldnt want?

I wasnt being facetious when I asked this, I want to know why.

I want to know what you see in these that I/we have missed.

Since no one seems to want to say something nice about  AMM bees I will give you my experience with them.

They are nasty, unproductive , swarmy and disease prone.

on the plus side they tend to be wasp resistant, frugal with their stores and produce beautiful white cappings.

All the plus things can and have been bred into strains of Italian bees so unless you like being stung all of time there's not much point in keeping AMM's.

There are societies dedicated to breeding AMM bees in England and when I was there a couple of years ago and worked with some they were every bit as nasty as a remember plus some.

I doubt anyone cares about white cappings these days but it used to be quite important for comb honey. Cappings with no air gap underneath always look darker and that was definitely a genetic trait and some bees also seemed to produce whiter wax and these factors can be and were selected for.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, john berry said:

produce beautiful white cappings.

hey that brings back some old memories John, those whiter than white cappings they used to make. Awesome for nice looking comb honey.

Nowadays I see a constant stream of people on the net with black bees, claiming they are AMM's. They often claim they are gentle, which tells me they are not AMM's. Some people have a romantic notion of AMM's, and just "decide" that their black bees are AMM's.

But the white cappings, to those who remember them, could be another proof these bees are not AMM's. I'll bet these black bees do not make the white cappings like we used to see in the pure AMM's of old.

21 hours ago, john berry said:

Since no one seems to want to say something nice about  AMM bees I will give you my experience with them.

They are nasty, unproductive , swarmy and disease prone.

on the plus side they tend to be wasp resistant, frugal with their stores and produce beautiful white cappings.

All the plus things can and have been bred into strains of Italian bees so unless you like being stung all of time there's not much point in keeping AMM's.

There are societies dedicated to breeding AMM bees in England and when I was there a couple of years ago and worked with some they were every bit as nasty as a remember plus some.

I doubt anyone cares about white cappings these days but it used to be quite important for comb honey. Cappings with no air gap underneath always look darker and that was definitely a genetic trait and some bees also seemed to produce whiter wax and these factors can be and were selected for.

the lads at work simply do not know what fun it is to work those hives. most of them don't wear suits any more.

i had one bad tempted hive today that gave my ankles a bit of a hiding, and that was a joy to work compared to what we had 20 years ago.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

The only three things I miss about the old black bees are The wasp resistance, the stock resistance and the theft resistance , sometimes I think the bitchiness might be worth having just for those three traits 

30 minutes ago, olbe said:

the theft resistance , sometimes I think the bitchiness might be worth having just for those three traits 

LOL. Time at a site of AMM's on South Island West Coast. Drive in and see skid marks in the grass someone driving away in a hurry. A lid off a hive, a comb part out, and an axe left laying on the ground where it was dropped and abandoned. 😆

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1