I can understand that bees are protective in autumn but I just walked outside my back door and got hammered by my bees. Stung near both eyes. I have a new hive so maybe it's them, or the other three hives are extra protective because of the new arrivals. Maybe a bit of both. Either way makes walking outside an issue and won't put up with this for too long. Thoughts are re queen the new hive or take a few away.

Any other suggestions?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a hive a few years ago where it attacked everyone outside. My wife still brings up when she was yelling on the deck after being stung with 'Its me or the bees' and my reply of 'well, *thats* not

Ok so you're not marching out the back door straight into their flight path.  Requeen .

@tommy dave inspected all hives today. All of them, including the new one, seemed relatively calm.  The new hive had what I thought was a bit of a roar going on. Didn't spot a queen or see eggs.

5 hours ago, StephenP said:

I can understand that bees are protective in autumn but I just walked outside my back door and got hammered by my bees. Stung near both eyes. I have a new hive so maybe it's them, or the other three hives are extra protective because of the new arrivals. Maybe a bit of both. Either way makes walking outside an issue and won't put up with this for too long. Thoughts are re queen the new hive or take a few away.

Any other suggestions?

Sounds like robbing.  What has happened to make them rob? Have you been feeding syrup?  Have you been using your smoker properly

17 hours ago, Maggie James said:

Sounds like robbing.  What has happened to make them rob? Have you been feeding syrup?  Have you been using your smoker properly

Robbing was what I was thinking as well. Haven't feed syrup at all as all, but one, have good stores. The new hive could be hassling the other three making them defensive.

FYI the new hive is a swarm with no stores. I want them to use any brought in honey as I don't know their AFB status. Being one week since their arrival I might give them a few letres today.

I had a hive a few years ago where it attacked everyone outside. My wife still brings up when she was yelling on the deck after being stung with 'Its me or the bees' and my reply of 'well, *thats* not going to happen'.

I still have bees - and a wife.

But yes, requeened the hive (and got absolutely hammered while doing it). A shame a neighbour popped his head over the fence while doing so to complain about something and got popped squarely between the eyes. His head looked like it was knocked off in shooting gallery, it disappeared so fast

• Haha 2