Jump to content
Message added by Grant,

We enjoy your posts in the monthly diary and its great to see the conversation free flowing. Please use this topic to tell us what you are doing in your hives, if it sparks a discussion, we may move it to its own topic for clearer visibility and to generate interest. Creating new topics is a positive feature of the forum, so please don't be offended.

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Sounds like they owe you money 😆

Uh Huh .....

 

In this neck of the wood we work for love .....

The toil of bended back,

The swollen hand,

The buzz at shaking new nectar from the frame.

The money is second.

We live for the rush ...  

Of pedal on metal  over five hundred horses as they hit  the hills to the promised land in the dead of a moonlit night.

We live for the sweet smell of the night dew  

And the bitter taste of the  black coffee that clears the soggy mind in the early morn. 

And the sense of optimism of what might be ....

 

The heavy box

The honey in the drum

The job well done...

 

Uh Huh

 

"We are the pilgrims .... "

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Riley’s gonna grow into those gloves! She insisted that she have her “work boots” and her gloves on. 

I took a mum and 3 girls beekeeping today. They’re keen to get hives but wanted some experience and advise.  This little one was amasing. They started out in a full suit but by the end of the day al

Most of my hives were pretty good today but I found one weak hive that was obviously a partial drone layer. Luckily I spotted her running across the comb so it was a quick whack with the hive too

Posted Images

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

Funny man.

True story. Batteries were flat. I loaded and unloaded close to a tonne of beehives on my lonesome. Being  6’2” and 110kg of some muscle helps too🤣

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice .....

Real Man .....

Serious ...... 

Sometimes you jus gotta do what you gotta do.

 

I remember a few years ago when we first had the Pole on,  we  got stuck under  an irrigation boom.

He got his hand caught under the the pipe as the truck squeezed under. 

He cursed and swore

But still had a smile on his dial at the other end.

 

Those Poles are Hard Men.

I  have an immense amount of respect for the amount of Speights they can drink !

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hive number one made it through winter in fine fettle.  Its in my suburban back yard in Chch. Two boxes heaving with honey and brood. Was worried about being honey bound and @CHCHPaul confirmed my thought its time for box three over a queen excluder. Found supercedure cells so have been in a couple of times and last check there were no supercedure cells. 

Also took out frames of brood and dropped them in with a nuc into hive number two i just started. Plus honey. Ive freed about 5 frames in the brood boxes to make space.

 

Hive number two started: its a flow hive i purchased years ago before starting keeping...long story... so am interested to see how it goes. Im cutting a full sized box down to an 8 framer to make a second brood box .. as they are off to a good start with the donated frames. 

 

The community gardens at the center i work in agreed to a hive after 2 years of discussion. Put it in using a hive doctor base...again trying something different. Im dubious the size of the entrance will be big enough when it gets stronger.

 

One of the gardeners was a bit unhappy when i put it in ... then said he looked at the hive, saw the bees, and half an hour passed as sat watching them. We have a convert. The council have a nursery next door and asked if we can put a hive in there.... im saying no right now ... but they can visit ours. No sprays in use as both areas run organic.

 

The community garden next to ours has one hive about 800m away. When taking the nuc to my location got seriously buzzed by a bee ... presumeably from there. It would not leave me alone. Second visit same thing. They seem to be a little aggressive or pushy so will keep an eye out for robbing of my new baby hive.  The hive doctor base may be handy keeping the entrance small until it builds up.

 

Trees down linwood ave in flower, we have had daffodils as well and brassicas / silverbeet etc all bolting so lots of flowers around. 

 

Three hives .. who knew. Im wondering how infected with the bee bug ive become. Is the smell of fresh honey and hives narcotic? Im already thinking a second hive to help the first hive at community gardens might be good.....

Edited by WebKiwiNZ
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@WebKiwiNZ this is how it begins! Make or buy more gear now! You’ve developed an addiction and it can suddenly turn into a gear gobbling monster. We started with one, ended the season with 11. Trust me, I’ve been there😭

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, southbee said:

Our flow is just starting to begin, so it's shifting time again... Not too bad with the crane though.

What is the flow?

 

Is that the snowman under your moniker, standing on one of the trailers?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

So removing the queen/bees and some brood from a swarmy hive last weekend don't really have the desired effect. Checked today to ensure the one Q-cell I had left was still the only one.

It wasn't. They decided to make another 10 to go with it. So I've wiped out 10 of them and once again left them with one.

I'm surprised that even though I removed the queen they where still hell bent of swarming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

Swarming....? or replacing the queen you had removed?

If it was 2 or 3 cells I'd agree. There was about 3 in the centre of the frames. The rest where at the bottom of frames in the top brood box.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BRB said:

I'm surprised that even though I removed the queen they where still hell bent of swarming.

They don't need the old queen to be around to swarm. They will wait until the first virgin emerges and then go with her.  Unfortunately, the will keep going with virgins as separate swarms until they have virtually no bees left.  You need to take more action than just removing the old queen.

 

I would split the heck out of it and leave 1 queen cell with each split.

 

  • Like 1
  • Good Info 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a warm day here  today.

The bees are working the Matagouri and the smell of the nectar is delicious.   Main Man and StockMan went for a hunt in the morning and came home with two deer for the BBQ.  On the way home they helped lift two downer heifers who have some sort of pinched nerve thing going on and can't get up after calving.

The lifter is a pretty medieval sort of device that hooks onto the two hip pin bones and lifts the rear end.

 

And it got me thinking. I commented to Main Man that in the potential absence of slaves this year to help take honey off, we need a gadget like that ...... some sort of a grab that slides over a pallet of hives and lifts 16 boxes at one time.

It would hang on the end of the crane, and somehow clamp up on the bottom four boxes, apply hydraulic pressure , and hey presto .... bees lifted, disease c checked for, giant four hive bee  escape board slid in underneath .... and all the rest is down hill.

 

Engineering suggestions gratefully received !

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

They don't need the old queen to be around to swarm. They will wait until the first virgin emerges and then go with her.  Unfortunately, the will keep going with virgins as separate swarms until they have virtually no bees left.  You need to take more action than just removing the old queen.

 

I would split the heck out of it and leave 1 queen cell with each split.

 

I sort of did a mini split last week. When I took queen/bees and brood. 

Are you saying that the one cell I've left will swarm anyway?  Even though by the time cell hatches the hive would have been queenless for a couple of weeks? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/10/2020 at 8:35 AM, WebKiwiNZ said:

Hive number one made it through winter in fine fettle.  Its in my suburban back yard in Chch. Two boxes heaving with honey and brood. Was worried about being honey bound and @CHCHPaul confirmed my thought its time for box three over a queen excluder. Found supercedure cells so have been in a couple of times and last check there were no supercedure cells. 

Also took out frames of brood and dropped them in with a nuc into hive number two i just started. Plus honey. Ive freed about 5 frames in the brood boxes to make space.

 

Hive number two started: its a flow hive i purchased years ago before starting keeping...long story... so am interested to see how it goes. Im cutting a full sized box down to an 8 framer to make a second brood box .. as they are off to a good start with the donated frames. 

 

The community gardens at the center i work in agreed to a hive after 2 years of discussion. Put it in using a hive doctor base...again trying something different. Im dubious the size of the entrance will be big enough when it gets stronger.

 

One of the gardeners was a bit unhappy when i put it in ... then said he looked at the hive, saw the bees, and half an hour passed as sat watching them. We have a convert. The council have a nursery next door and asked if we can put a hive in there.... im saying no right now ... but they can visit ours. No sprays in use as both areas run organic.

 

The community garden next to ours has one hive about 800m away. When taking the nuc to my location got seriously buzzed by a bee ... presumeably from there. It would not leave me alone. Second visit same thing. They seem to be a little aggressive or pushy so will keep an eye out for robbing of my new baby hive.  The hive doctor base may be handy keeping the entrance small until it builds up.

 

Trees down linwood ave in flower, we have had daffodils as well and brassicas / silverbeet etc all bolting so lots of flowers around. 

 

Three hives .. who knew. Im wondering how infected with the bee bug ive become. Is the smell of fresh honey and hives narcotic? Im already thinking a second hive to help the first hive at community gardens might be good.....

Do they have a tree nursery or a child nursery next door?

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/10/2020 at 8:12 PM, Bron said:

@WebKiwiNZ this is how it begins! Make or buy more gear now! You’ve developed an addiction and it can suddenly turn into a gear gobbling monster. We started with one, ended the season with 11. Trust me, I’ve been there😭

Yup. A friend in sheffield has caught a swarm he doesnt want and .... my wife has given me permission to start hive 4.  Two birds, caught with one stone.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/10/2020 at 11:59 AM, Quixoticelixer said:

Do they have a tree nursery or a child nursery next door?

Tree nursery. No spray. We do have kids in the community garden ... but bees are well back in a fenced area.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I took a couple of days off to pick up three Kaka from Hamilton zoo and take them out to Cape kidnappers. Can't say I was impressed with the traffic in Hamilton but had a wonderful night with Michelle and Byron Taylor and their family and on the way up to Hamilton yesterday I stopped at the Tirau Museum which several forum members have recommended.

Spent quite a long time chatting with Jeff the proprietor and man does he have a collection of honey tins . He had a honey extractor which he said he used to use all the time and I have never seen one like it. Will try and post a picture tomorrow. Lots of other amazing stuff in the museum including a stunning bottle collection .. This is a proper museum which is full of interesting stuff and I really recommend it. A lot of modern museums are almost empty with just a few so-called key exhibits. This museum is definitely not empty

  • Like 3
  • Good Info 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Aah... big sigh .....How I love this time of year . 

The hard work is done.

 The bees are pumping  

The adrenalin is running 

 

 

The phone is hot ..... bees coming out of pollination from under nets  look like  a box of garbage .... the workers got lost on the way home ... no wonder we call them suicide hives.

 

 

Long lost mates resurface with blocks of potential ...

New mates txt to say the Beeman has done a runner to more money

 

What we gonna do ?

Chase the hundy kilo at four bucks

Or chase the hundy bucks at four kilo, plus some minus costs ?

 

We Beemen are gamblers .... and now is the time to decide on whether to guard our full house , or look our opponent in the eye ,call their bluff , and take the risk.

 

No-one got anywhere without a little bit of risk. ......aye.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/10/2020 at 10:36 PM, jamesc said:

I quite like putting all the new cell cups into the top feeder and top her up with syrup.... they seem to take quite well when grafted into

ED84EFCC-3ADB-4003-B026-D2B95F650031.jpeg

Thats something i havent seen in any of the queen rearing literature or videos iv been perusing of late! 😝

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...