Message added by Grant,

We enjoy your posts in the monthly diary and its great to see the conversation free flowing. Please use this topic to tell us what you are doing in your hives, if it sparks a discussion, we may move it to its own topic for clearer visibility and to generate interest. Creating new topics is a positive feature of the forum, so please don't be offended.

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

I really miss those seat of your pants commercial shifting missions to the back of beyond.. sleeping In or under the truck, breakdowns, blowouts, crane issues, livestock, washouts... these days it’s a much more relaxed affair.. 

I can remember one pick up trip up country to one of our furtherest and roughest sites, Only just got them out following some rain on the clay track, bounced and bashed the truck back off the hill country farm and drove SH1 for an hour before stopping to water the roadside.. got the shock of my life to see the Palfinger crane remote sitting on the very edge of the deck behind the last row of hives as I checked the load.. gave me goosebumps. 

I check and double check for that item. It's easy to rush head long and forget the details. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Riley’s gonna grow into those gloves! She insisted that she have her “work boots” and her gloves on. 

I took a mum and 3 girls beekeeping today. They’re keen to get hives but wanted some experience and advise.  This little one was amasing. They started out in a full suit but by the end of the day al

Most of my hives were pretty good today but I found one weak hive that was obviously a partial drone layer. Luckily I spotted her running across the comb so it was a quick whack with the hive too

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

I check and double check for that item. It's easy to rush head long and forget the details. 

It’s an expensive item to replace.. exhaustion has even had me drive back a couple kms to check Id shut that gate.. leaving the crane legs out and tearing out a gateway or half the fenceline was another midnight mishap.. although fortunately not mine.. I had a nice routine for unloading and loading using the crane.. these days there’s no pressure.. or crane 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BRB said:

Your not having much luck at the moment are you? 

Cant win em all I suppose, got the battery on charge, I'll finish my shift 6am start then off to town to get the hydraulic hose fixed on the truck

9 hours ago, Stoney said:

It’s an expensive item to replace.. exhaustion has even had me drive back a couple kms to check Id shut that gate.. leaving the crane legs out and tearing out a gateway or half the fenceline was another midnight mishap.. although fortunately not mine.. I had a nice routine for unloading and loading using the crane.. these days there’s no pressure.. or crane 

you gotta have the brain switched on and wired when craning ...... sequence is everything ..... crane down, remote in hand, check strops, remote placed behind drivers seat,,,, and off we go ..... or not. There's been the odd time in the early days when the crane didn't go down and the the overhead electric wires flashed in the dark all the way down the road 🎅🏿

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, jamesc said:. There's been the odd time in the early days when the crane didn't go down and the the overhead electric wires flashed in the dark all the way down the road 🎅🏿

Crikey .. lucky your sammys weren’t toasted.. it’s all pretty exciting stuff for the sake of a honeyflow. 
I had a sweat soaked dream once that I’d driven back from Kaikoura with the crane fully extended behind the 550 dragging the cradle and grinding it down to a shackle.. exhaustion does crazy things to the brain. 

• Haha 1

Found my first swarmed hive of the season today and couldn’t locate the swarm. Pretty sure it was my fault... it was a big strong hive and I split it two and a half weeks ago. At the same time I put in a protected Qcell because I found what I thought was a single supersedeure cell (cut this down). Today all my other cells had mated but this hive was full of less than 10 day cells and no honey. Won’t be doing that again!

• Like 1

The best shifting story I know is from years ago when they were shifting hives with a Kelly boom . The lads were unloading an apiary in a bit of a hollow and some of the local farmers who had been on the turps all night saw the lights on the boom floating backwards and forwards and thought it was a UFO.

They opened up on it with a 303 and fortunately nobody was hurt probably because they were too drunk to hit anything.

• Haha 7

New season new beginnings 

We missed the bees.

2 Nucs arrived by courier post 7/10,

unpackaged, left to settle on their new site and then transferred to their make over boxes later that afternoon. 
Both marked queens sited. Good bee activity noted.63C9165D-51A1-4580-BE68-1F13BC41B421.thumb.jpeg.443efefbd35049ba05bfa11f9ebf0ab6.jpeg
You know that the bees have been miised when....Significant other text me at work “I can hear bees in the tree above the new chickens coop”

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Today's second shift 24x, took advantage of the poor weather, fined up then ended up supering, was knackered by 3, another early shift tomorrow, two 24x sites then I'm half way there.

20201013_120401.jpg

20201013_120403.jpg

That man deserves a DB!

So, I had this happen today:

I was putting on supers, so scraping down top bars, adding QX then super, then top feeder back on. I removed the ‘bee saver’ and look what I found! Close call

1605E238-3918-4C54-817B-F0678475BE02.jpeg

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

This morning's 2 sites of 24 shifted in, then took 50 supers out to 3 sites and couggt 3 swarms. Me and the main man deserved 2 DBs today🤣

20201014_081107.jpg

I find that the Green ones  go down better for breakie ☺️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, jamesc said:

I find that the Green ones  go down better for breakie ☺️

Knocked off 330 and had a few stein grenades😆 3 night shifts in a row then supering during the day, tomorrow day off shifting 8am start saturday vote day then sunday night shift