Message added by Grant,

We enjoy your posts in the monthly diary and its great to see the conversation free flowing. Please use this topic to tell us what you are doing in your hives, if it sparks a discussion, we may move it to its own topic for clearer visibility and to generate interest. Creating new topics is a positive feature of the forum, so please don't be offended.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Riley’s gonna grow into those gloves! She insisted that she have her “work boots” and her gloves on. 

I took a mum and 3 girls beekeeping today. They’re keen to get hives but wanted some experience and advise.  This little one was amasing. They started out in a full suit but by the end of the day al

Most of my hives were pretty good today but I found one weak hive that was obviously a partial drone layer. Luckily I spotted her running across the comb so it was a quick whack with the hive too

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, jamesc said:

U not using staples this spring ?

Me? No. I got a bunch of orders for spring package bees. Did the math, I can pay peanuts for staples (making my own for around 20 cents each), but have less bees to sell. Or, spend a lot more on normal treatment but have a normal amount of bees to sell. Going with the normal treatment even though costs more, meant when all is said and done I end up with more money in the pocket. So that's the route I have taken.

The package making, is also how I have been able to assess the effectiveness of the treatment already.

One day, when, or if, I ever get to fully master the use of oxalic staples, I may use them even if I need good bee numbers. But this time around I took the safe option.

Bit like Stoney I guess.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
13 hours ago, NickWallingford said:

@Maru Hoani I certainly do like those tall pallets.  My back feels better just looking at the photo...

I havent had a sore back in a while, so far I've upgraded about 60 pallets and it's made a huge difference in the big sites, especially when you have to slightly bend all day😁

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Bron said:

Riley’s gonna grow into those gloves! She insisted that she have her “work boots” and her gloves on. 
image.thumb.png.f54aa6e2d3bbd88dc982f1ccb19c5756.png

If you want smaller leather gloves, try the garden section of the Warehouse - they have kids size - although perhaps the benefit of too big to fiddle with things may be lost. 

• Like 1
On 1/10/2020 at 9:33 PM, Alastair said:

This is what I want at the moment

str.jpg

Thats how my hives are looking and every 4th one is developing cells. I'm having trouble this season withought using staples, so far I've made about 30 nucs and I'm only half way through my hives. Some times it's good to have some weakies to equalise.

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Thats how my hives are looking and every 4th one is developing cells. I'm having trouble this season withought using staples, so far I've made about 30 nucs and I'm only half way through my hives. Some times it's good to have some weakies to equalise.

Lol. I have pulled hundreds of frames of brood and bees. 

We hit ours before they get beyond 6> broods. Remove at least 2, 

Our G3 starts later this month, need to meet standard, and allow for continuing growth until Green begins early November.

Bees grow in G3 but shrink in Green. It's a fine line.

Avos are going in now.

How's the M looking?

And the truck repaint?

Edited by Gino de Graaf
  • Like 2
  • Good Info 1
4 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Lol. I have pulled hundreds of frames of brood and bees. 

We hit ours before they get beyond 6> broods. Remove at least 2, 

Our G3 starts later this month, need to meet standard, and allow for continuing growth until Green begins early November.

Bees grow in G3 but shrink in Green. It's a fine line.

Avos are going in now.

How's the M looking?

And the truck repaint?

Trucks ready to go, got the chassis,deck and cab done. I'll start shifting from next monday once Ive put a box on everything.

Manuka flows atleast 2 weeks+ away, hopefully the weather stays good from there. 

Hives are ready to pump, fingers crossed for a good one. I got an onto it young fella with me learning as we go to make it easier for next season, hes keen and making things easier already😊

• Like 3