It is that time of the year again.

I have heard that the first swarms have been reported in Northland and Auckland.

I got a call about May this year for a cut out that was required at Massey University in Palmerston North.

I checked it out and decided that we would leave it alone until spring.

This is the false wall that the swarm was behind.

20200926_135055.thumb.jpg.31c6665ddf4148928a467b6c53904001.jpg

This is the thermal image I took with my phone to see where the bees were.

I was expecting most of the bees to be in the lower right corner.

This was mostly true as the bees were just starting to move up the old comb.

thermalcamera_20200926_135616.jpg.37cce8725ba37828f0572e5265442ddd.jpg

Today was removal day and I was quite surprised with what we found when I pulled the wall panelling off.

Bees were pretty much where I expected.

Lots of DWV and plenty of brood which allowed me to do an AFB check.  I am 95% sure they are clean.

Varroa treatments will go in tomorrow and I will give them a feed as they are a bit low on stores.

20200930_130622.thumb.jpg.29276ac1b3f311909e7053a258895ed1.jpg

Today was removal day and I was quite surprised with what we found when I pulled the wall panelling off.

Bees were pretty much where I expected.

Lots of DWV and plenty of brood which allowed me to do an AFB check.  I am 95% sure they are clean.

Varroa treatments will go in tomorrow.

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
  • Like 3
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My first swarm call of the season. Pretty happy that it's the end of October (last year was in the first half of September!). This was quite a big swarm.

This is a rather large cut out from a year or so back, was another one same size at the other end of the building, the Manuka farmer mention he’d seen the “odd”bee going into the wall.. was a little s

Not my swarm collect, but this looks a great way to do it. Pongakawa Bush Road, yesterday.

Posted Images

Burnside Christchurch here. One of my hives swarmed three weeks ago. Couldn’t believe it. Fortunately straight into the one hive that didn’t survive the winter. 
Split the remainder into four Nucs. Couple of capped swarm cells in each. 
now I have way too many hives for a 409 sql section ...

• Haha 1
On 30/09/2020 at 6:18 PM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

It is that time of the year again.

I have heard that the first swarms have been reported in Northland and Auckland.

A large swarm turned up at my place last weekend.

I'm in Hamilton.

• Like 2

I hear lots of stories about feral hives that have been there for years but they always turn out to have died of varoa and then been replaced almost straight away by a new swarm. Bees are quite selective about the cavities they use so they tend to go back time and again to the same  spot and having  wax in their already makes it even more desirable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
12 hours ago, Bighands said:

I cut out swarm cells here on the West Coast and killed a virgin I saw running around.A bit early I thought. This was today

I've been cutting out swarm cells for the past 3 weeks, double brood boxes full of bees. Going through them every 10 days or so to check. Year old queens and i dont want more hives. Sure is a challenge at this time of year. Had to feed one yesterday that was good 10 days ago? Lucky im on acc and can get into them when the sun breaks through. Which lately is about every 10 days. 

On 9/10/2020 at 7:24 PM, Adam O'Sullivan said:

A swarm at one of my sites today. The hive it came from still had a large population. Dannevirke, Manawatu.

393E84F5-2061-4767-A584-ACDFB946E00E.jpeg

636099E6-F6E9-4F95-B8B8-649BC67F5214.jpeg

Dam, I’ll be there on Thursday to collect it. Should be cold and wet enough for them to still be there🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

2 more swarms today.

I could not get a photo of one as it was in an Ivy plant on a fence.  Thanks goodness for the bee vac.

The second was in a camilia street tree 1.5 m high.  Another simple job for the bee vac.

Very pretty surrounded with flowers.   Both swarms around the 2 kg mark.

20201023_165043.jpg

• Like 2