Dead bees outside the hive

On 2/09/2020 at 7:59 PM, Stoney said:

I remember the dead bee carpets in the Nuc yard first time we tried it at last job.. holy heck that was a bit of a learning curve.. 

Hi. Newbie keeper question.

We have our hive on concrete so dead bees really obvious and regularly have dead bee carpets. We also seem to have tons of robbers with the hive sound amping up several times per day. Plus the hovering horde at the front door. The girls are holding them off and we've closed the gap etc. The carpet is also likely from that as well? No signs of verroa or deformed wing or ... 

With a new nuc you would see that too wouldnt you? Weaker new hive getting hammered by others...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've seen a dead bee carpet in front of a hive that was close to starving. No robbing, varroa under control, just out of food. 

@vbconz has not been back or responded to questions so presumably has lost interest.

8 hours ago, vbconz said:

Hi. Newbie keeper question.

We have our hive on concrete so dead bees really obvious and regularly have dead bee carpets. We also seem to have tons of robbers with the hive sound amping up several times per day. Plus the hovering horde at the front door. The girls are holding them off and we've closed the gap etc. The carpet is also likely from that as well?

Welcome to the forum.. 

a dead bee carpet as I described is literally that.. you can barely see the ground for dead bees. 

would really need to see a pic as Allistair said to get an idea of bee numbers. 
when was the last time you checked them and what was the strength like at that time? 

10 hours ago, tommy dave said:

I've seen a dead bee carpet in front of a hive that was close to starving. No robbing, varroa under control, just out of food. 

Thats what happened to one of my hives .

Robbed of food then starved

The original comment quoted here at the start was regarding the overdosing of oxalic /glycerine treatment in 5 frame mating nucs.. 

dead bees out in front can be caused by many things .. not sure exactly where we are headed on this thread.