swarms need a good home

I have lure hives on my property to attract swarms. We often get called if a swarm arrives in the neighbourhood. It is easier for me and nicer for the bees to find their new home on their own. I had 3 swarms last year and don't have any spare capacity to house them. Is there a beekeeper in the Dairy Flat area where I can drop them? A registered beekeeper is preferred with a carry capacity. If they can pay for the new frames I placed in that would be great. With swarms, I don't know when and how many will arrive so I would like to drop them throughout the swarm season.

y05 druk.JPG

• Like 3
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have lure hives on my property to attract swarms. We often get called if a swarm arrives in the neighbourhood. It is easier for me and nicer for the bees to find their new home on their own. I had 3

If anyone is interested in collecting swarms from wherever you are situated in the country, your best bet is to notify your local council offices that you are a willing beekeeper to collect swarms tha

I have a friend looking for a swarm, just one. He is North Shore and would be extremely happy to drive over and collect.    You can see my phone number in my profile, if you can call me we c

Posted Images

I have a friend looking for a swarm, just one. He is North Shore and would be extremely happy to drive over and collect. 

You can see my phone number in my profile, if you can call me we can exchange details, and if / when you have a swarm available let him know 🙂

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Alastair said:

You can see my phone number in my profile, if you can call me we can exchange details, and if / when you have a swarm available let him know 🙂

Thanks Alistair, will do.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in collecting swarms from wherever you are situated in the country, your best bet is to notify your local council offices that you are a willing beekeeper to collect swarms that are reported to them. 

Every year or so I update my details with the Dunedin City Council and express my willingness to collect swarms. Many people ring the council first when a swarm arrives on their property. The council then rings or texts me with an address, name of property owner and contact number and I follow it up. It is a cheap way of increasing hive numbers. All I need to have is the supers to house them and varroa treatment for immediate use. Some years' I've had up to 60 - 70 swarms, only about 5% don't make it due to their size. I don't charge a fee because I want people to remember me for future reference. I often carry a carton of packed honey and a good supply of business cards, as most swarm recipients end up buying some honey from me while the bees are settling in the super. I believe in marketing the beekeepers' as the good guys, not out for a quick buck, just pleased to help with a smile.

• Like 3