The advantages of young queens - not a new idea...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's exactly what I paid for my first queen, right after the new money came in, I bought a queen from Whites for $0.75.   This was funded from my pocket money, $0.20 a week. In my childish

This from February 1951...  

LOL, there were some good ads way back. Can't remember the name, but there was another guy used to put a pic of his face on a queen bee.    Caused a bit of mockery but his own view was all p

Posted Images

I like the truck with the crank handle in place. And the implications of standing on two boxes to do an inspection - one of them on end!  And notice it is only one 'son' at this stage in the business - Ian Berry.  @john berry - is that intended to be Percy?  I don't remember him with a pipe, but mostly knew him from bee meetings over the years - maybe he smoked a pipe when he was younger?

• Good Info 1
2 hours ago, NickWallingford said:

Percy Berry and the other Hawkes Bay beekeepers of the late 1940s and 1950s faced the first of the really bad pesticide damage to their hives. Orchardists sprayed quite indiscriminately and there were large bee losses for the first time on such a scale.

I grew up on an orchard and I remember dad getting  hives in to pollinate in the 60s and being very careful about spraying

When that ad was made I wasn't even a twinkle in my father's eye .

I don't remember granddad ever smoking and my father Ian certainly didn't. I certainly remember the descending fug of tobacco smoke at the beekeepers meetings (or any other meeting for that matter) in the good old days.

One of my first jobs as a lad was raising queens but they were for Canada rather than the local market.

I haven't seen that ad before. Nick is there any chance you could send me an email copy. Thanks.

Inside are the nice ,quiet and productive Italian bees from Arataki.

Outside are robbers and wastrels (probably AMM/carniolan hybrids).

I have to say that eight shillings per queen seems a bit steep.

You would have had to have sold close to 200 lb of manuka to pay for that (3p per lb - 1 p per lb seals levie).