On 21/10/2020 at 7:14 PM, john berry said:

Well. It is just as well I didn't name and shame because it turns out that that 5% of uncertainty was someone else entirely. I have just had notification that the inspection team found evidence of rob outs and as per the rules they can't tell me who but I do know is not who I thought it was. Sounds like who I thought it was has also got a dose at the same time as I did , of course they wouldn't have if they hadn't dumped a big site between two of mine.

This is a good example of why we pay a levy  . I reported a problem and it was followed up and dealt with.

Same, I reported and the inspector in my region has been doing his rounds which is a good thing, hopefully people clean up their disease.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was having a good day today until the 2nd yard when I found an infected cell in the fourth hive. I could only see one cell and it was a very light milk chocolate colour. After sterilising everything

Well. It is just as well I didn't name and shame because it turns out that that 5% of uncertainty was someone else entirely. I have just had notification that the inspection team found evidence of rob

If you do find out, first thing to do is send them an invoice for damages.  Make it realistic - i.e. fair values but make it complete, travel, time etc cost of digging hole....  At this point you have

Found another AFB  in the same apiary today. Once again just one or two cells infected.

It was the last hive I checked and I was just thinking I was going to get away with it this time.

I hope person responsible for this outbreak reads this. I am happy to take their apology  and would be even happier if they paid some compensation for my lost hives and time.

• Sad 3
9 hours ago, john berry said:

Found another AFB  in the same apiary today. Once again just one or two cells infected.

It was the last hive I checked and I was just thinking I was going to get away with it this time.

I hope person responsible for this outbreak reads this. I am happy to take their apology  and would be even happier if they paid some compensation for my lost hives and time.

Same! I'm not looking forward to checking my site down Te Huahua rd after finding AFB the last 2 times, 10yrs AFB free before this year in this area. 

• Sad 2
9 hours ago, john berry said:

I see that China has banned one New Zealand exporter of manuka honey because of AFB detected in the honey.

I will say this for Chinese honey. You would be very unlikely to find any spores in it.

I wonder who this exporter is? 

There are alot of useless beekeepers around and its a shame to our industry, I always though it was possible to get rid of AFB but there's too many cow boys out there who's heart just isnt in it.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, john berry said:

but when an inspector finds  robbed out AFB hives in somebody's apiarys then I personally feel they have lost the right to anonymity.

Is it time to name and shame?

absolutly.

golden rule is "don't let hives die from afb". if you can't do that then you should not be beekeeping.

• Agree 3
6 minutes ago, southbee said:

d bear in mind that the offender probably doesn't feel any shame if he/she doesn't care anyway. 

They might care if you were able to take a civil action for damages and if I find out whose hives they were I very well may do.

• Like 1

Yeah , feel for you John . 

One man's laziness two years ago cost us a whole heap of work.

I remember once when  I was deputised to take Jasper Bray around the bees we were talking about AFB , I still recall the sadness in his voice when recalling they ended up burning the whole yard.

Somedays it makes you just so mad at other peoples incompetence.  

• Like 3
21 hours ago, john berry said:

Back to the same apiary today and another hive with one cell infected.

Every time I find an AFB it's pretty much a whole day wasted by the time I pick it up and burn it.

This one also has close to a box of honey so I will need a deeper bigger hole this time.

This is hive number seven. One idiots carelessness and the cost to other beekeepers is pretty staggering.

I have been inspecting two frames in each brood box every time I visit. You could ask why I don't do a full brood inspection and I would reply that it's partly a matter of time and also to keep robbing down  which is very important with AFB. Given that  every hive I have found has only had one or two infected cells  it  is also highly unlikely that I would have found them the visit before even with a full brood inspection as there was probably nothing to see. This would be the worst outbreak I have had in my own hives for well over 20 years and it's fair to say it has not made me happy.

Perhaps it is time to change is some of the rules . In general I agree with the right to privacy when it comes to AFB but when an inspector finds  robbed out AFB hives in somebody's apiarys then I personally feel they have lost the right to anonymity.

Is it time to name and shame?

or name and sue for loss of income. 

10 hours ago, nikki watts said:

or name and sue for loss of income. 

Now I'm worried, the last 2 times I went to one of my sites I found it both times, now I'm due for round 3 🤞 

I'm especially angry because ive been there nearly a decade and nothing, one new beek comes along, second season, bang directly affected my site😢

• Sad 4
On 24/11/2020 at 8:08 PM, jamesc said:

I remember once when  I was deputised to take Jasper Bray around the bees we were talking about AFB , I still recall the sadness in his voice when recalling they ended up burning the whole yard.

Just out of interest James do you remember what year that was?

On 27/09/2020 at 6:22 PM, john berry said:

Most beekeepers are capable of learning from their mistakes.

Beehive owners , not so much.

Beekeepers and Beehive owners. I have not heard this comparison.I now have a 'polite'name for those that really should not be allowed bees. They make me sick.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
On 25/11/2020 at 10:37 PM, Maru Hoani said:

Now I'm worried, the last 2 times I went to one of my sites I found it both times, now I'm due for round 3 🤞 

I'm especially angry because ive been there nearly a decade and nothing, one new beek comes along, second season, bang directly affected my site😢

beeks down the coast from me are very concerned about  Manuka health moving into the area.

we have been free of AFB here but no one knows how the new guy behaves.

Edited by Mummzie
spelling/context. Know vs no

As part of a research project with the dogs we have been doing a bit of spore sampling in honey to get a handle on the dogs efficacy.

Some countries have a zero tolerance for AFB in honey.

Hills Labs can test down to 36 spore/gram.

Our lab test honey samples came back as undetectable.

Give those dogs  a bone .....

• Like 3
1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Our lab test honey samples came back as undetectable.

Sitting here with matchsticks keeping me eyes open burning the candle both ends with shifting.. .. Had a chuckle wondering to myself how much of that honey sample came out the end of the syrup hose.. 😎

.. am I about to get the wooden spoon..? 
edit to add.. great effort on the Foulbrood battle at Gowanlee James.. it’s a massive undertaking to clean up especially bordering the deadly red zone.. 

Edited by Stoney
  • Stirrer 1

Controlling AFB is a bit like surfing ..... you sit down in the trough waiting for the big wave , knowing there will be a big wave .... it's just a question of when. The only difference is that when you are burning your hives  you're not screaming  Jeronimo.

No, the feeling is worse than when you've lost you board shorts in the back wash of the gravelly beach.

Edited by jamesc
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1