I was having a good day today until the 2nd yard when I found an infected cell in the fourth hive. I could only see one cell and it was a very light milk chocolate colour. After sterilising everything  I went back through the first three hives and gave them a thorough going over but they were clean. Careful checking of the 24 hives yielded another three cases of disease with all of them being very light infections.

I know that it is possible that I caused this infection but given my AFB history it's pretty unlikely and  I would be 99% certain that somebody within flying range has allowed an infected hive to be robbed out. I also know from experience that finding four like this at the very early stages means that I am very likely to get some more over the next few months as the infection works its way through.

I tried to report the infection through APi web But it won't let you report an infection until you have destroyed it. I then rang Marco and had a fruitful discussion about getting some neighbouring hives checked and also that AFB can be reported at the AFB PMP  site. Their form also wants a date of destruction but did accept that I wrote I would destroy the hives within seven days. It also asked whether the hives had been robbed out and  had categories for severity of infection which I think is a really good idea.

I hope they can find the source of infection but I know from experience it can take quite a while to show up from winter rob outs and chances are the offender has cleaned up the evidence by now.

It's hard enough to make a living without idiots causing the sort of expense, extra work and stress not to mention having to destroy what were four perfectly good hives.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1
  • Sad 11
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well. It is just as well I didn't name and shame because it turns out that that 5% of uncertainty was someone else entirely. I have just had notification that the inspection team found evidence of rob

I was having a good day today until the 2nd yard when I found an infected cell in the fourth hive. I could only see one cell and it was a very light milk chocolate colour. After sterilising everything

If you do find out, first thing to do is send them an invoice for damages.  Make it realistic - i.e. fair values but make it complete, travel, time etc cost of digging hole....  At this point you have

very sorry to hear this kind of thing, horrendous..

As an aside, do you have the option and/or the interest in having an afb dog sniff them? It could be interesting to split and separate the apiary into two quarantine sites where any that were indicated were put separately and see how it plays out over 24 months, essentially two honey producing sites with low feeding requirement where they could each become a permanent apiary for 2 years.

I don't have any position nor agenda on the AFB dogs, just seems good to explore in a case such as this where as you say; the chances of more is inescapable. So, I think the use of the dogs seems well worth exploring even if the final outcome is not the "go" for some reason or other. I'd even suggest it would be very cool, if the Agency paid half and you paid half. Even though it is only a trial with no guaranteed outcome. Repeated enough times and monitored somebody could be gathering hard data..

We are puppy raisers for the blind foundation; raising puppies from 14 weeks age up to ~1.5years when they go into formal training. They are brilliant dogs and I guess I have a lot of faith the AFB dogs could be just as good with the right training.

Edited by ChrisM
  • Like 3

....did you just say....you cant report an infected hive if you have not burnt it?

I do feel for your loss but right now, I am feeling gobsmacked that with such a potentially devastating disease...you cant report one at the drop of a hat.

• Agree 2

AFB is  so frustrating @john berry..... the unseen  enemy..... we think we are on top of it and all of a sudden .....

We have a dog on the go at the moment who is dynamite.

I know the guys up at Hamilton also have a dog on the go. AFB detector dogs Waikato.

And the good news is we have a Bitch due to whelp in a couple of weeks  with impeccable bloodlines.  

The dogs are'nt the total answer, but they will give you a very good heads up as to what you  can expect to see in the future.

• Like 1

One of the real downsides of the droughts is that bees are all covering larger areas in their search for nectar. Perhaps the infected site was out of range previously. It is hard to understand not being able to report until hive is burnt, as it will delay other beeks being advised to step up inspections, and in the extreme dry we are now getting, many are having to euthanise and seal infected hives in heavy plastic until a suitable opportunity to burn is found.

• Like 1

My neighbour saw two trucks of hives heading down the coast recently which I thought was very early .

Then I heard that there is such a bad AFB outbreak in their home area that they are moving their bees away early .

• Sad 3
On 22/09/2020 at 3:03 PM, john berry said:

I could name the beehaver corporate that I believe is responsible but without proof it would be slanderous although still true.

Same thing happened to me last week, 2 years AFB free and bang! In the middle of my area I found one, I got 3 sites down this road and never had AFB. There's a new beek a few paddocks away and my hives are absolutely pumping, not looking forward to the next 18months quarantine and I'm gonna have to take nucs this coming week because they'll be developing swarm cells like the rest of the sites.

• Sad 2

@Maru Hoaniand @john berry I believe slander is by definition untrue.

If they are repeat offenders and you have had unproductive discussions with them, I strongly believe that naming and shaming is required - having the general public avoid their products would be a good thing.

That said, I doubt this forum would like that and it would seem out of character for both of you. 

• Agree 1
21 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Same thing happened to me last week, 2 years AFB free and bang! In the middle of my area I found one, I got 3 sites down this road and never had AFB. There's a new beek a few paddocks away and my hives are absolutely pumping, not looking forward to the next 18months quarantine and I'm gonna have to take nucs this coming week because they'll be developing swarm cells like the rest of the sites.

Went back to give a full inspection today and found a second AFB, had to take five 6 frame nucs and making up the sixth one I found it. I was taking 3 frames of brood from everything that was developing swarm cells (and culling the cells) to weaken them.

It's such a shame when you have to lose such strong hives but atleast I went around again and found it early.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Sad 1
34 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

It's such a shame when you have to lose such strong hives but atleast I went around again and found it early.

Yes I agree, better  to be found now rather than in the middle of the honey flow when you have to burn the honey which is not easy. especially if there are 4 or 5 honey boxes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • 3 weeks later...

I went through the whole apiary very carefully today . I started with the hives I thought were least likely to be infected  and found nothing until the 2nd to last hive which had one newly infected cell on the third frame I checked. Infected material was a very light chocolate colour and had no visual sign on the brood cap. I only checked it because it hadn't hatched when most around it had.

Having found four infected hives last time I knew there was a good chance of finding more this time. I have not been doing my normal evening up because of the heightened disease risk.

There are two main types of AFB infection.

Number one is when you get an infection like this from an outside source, you identify it and destroy it before it spreads to any other hives.

Number two is when you fail to identify and it gets into your gear and is spread far and wide amongst your outfit.

A number one is bad enough but a number two will hit the fan every time.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I have reported the AFB to the AFB PMP website which went reasonably well except that some of the details they want are on apiweb so I had to go on that as well which took three goes to get it loaded. I will be very happy when they get their new system online.

• Like 1

Riding on the thread...

Was woken by the 6.45am txt alert that no one wants to hear middle of last week. Bummer, within 2km. Got a phone call from an AP2 the next day wanting to check my nearby hives in the weekend. Okay, happy with that but a bit more worried...

Next day was rudely awoken at 6.45 again. Bummer, same area. 

The inspector came and gave me a clean bill of heath. Phew. 

Woken again this morning... same area. Bummer. 

oh, and the inspector commented how strong my hives are... 😬

• Like 3
4 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

I hope your alarm clock texts stop soon and they find the problem. Good luck and keep up the good management

• Like 2
5 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

Riding on the thread...

Was woken by the 6.45am txt alert that no one wants to hear middle of last week. Bummer, within 2km. Got a phone call from an AP2 the next day wanting to check my nearby hives in the weekend. Okay, happy with that but a bit more worried...

Next day was rudely awoken at 6.45 again. Bummer, same area. 

The inspector came and gave me a clean bill of heath. Phew. 

What part of town are you in?