Over 1/3 of New Zealand's bee population has been lost since 2006.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bees are no longer lost. They have all mysteriously turned up right next to my apiarys. Would those that have lost them please come and take them away.

I'd venture to say it is more like 100%.  I don't think there are any of those 2006 bees still alive today...   I delivered a bee talk based on the idea "Don't worry about saving the honeybe

same here: Biologists Discover Billions Of Missing Bees Living Anonymously In Sacramento https://local.theonion.com/biologists-discover-billions-of-missing-bees-living-ano-1819578873

9 minutes ago, john berry said:

The bees are no longer lost. They have all mysteriously turned up right next to my apiarys.

Would those that have lost them please come and take them away.

same here:

Biologists Discover Billions Of Missing Bees Living Anonymously In Sacramento

https://local.theonion.com/biologists-discover-billions-of-missing-bees-living-ano-1819578873

• Haha 2

if one wanted to write tabloid headlines, then I suppose if bees live on average 6 to 8 weeks, then the entire population is 'lost' 6 or more times per year. So we lose 6 million hives a year by that measure.

• Like 1

I would have to say that I'm surprised as my understanding is there are more hives than ever.  

Also statistically theres a few problems. If we lose 2.3% of hives per year (and my understanding is we do to varroa, starvation, AFB , dead queen etc)  then thats 33% over 14 years (2006 to 2020). 

The article has some bad statistics backed by a bogus quote to give it false legitiamacy .. ie who knew Albert E, as a physicist mathmetician, was qualified to knowledgeably discuss biology and hive keeping? Thats like the pope being considered an expert on object oriented programming just because he is a smart guy (and actually is a biologist) .

My main take away from it is it is good to not spray chemical stuff everywhere.

This has been a not so humble opinion by Shane

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, vbconz said:

I would have to say that I'm surprised as my understanding is there are more hives than ever.  

yep, my original post and this entire thread was a tongue in cheek dig at these totally rubbish claims.

It begs the question, does nobody tell the truth on the internet these days?

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

This time of the year, there is a plethora of these claims - fed by 'Bee Aware Month' often by those running beekeeping courses, and using them to sell nucs to the newly anointed 'beekeepers'. Unfortunately, the classes often don't give an honest idea of just how much time is required, and they therefore contribute to the tally of losses.