• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that my friends is why I do 99% of my Queen rearing in autumn.

And I really don’t want to go out and do a graft  

procrastinate on the forum instead  

2 hours ago, john berry said:

It's hot and windy here. I was up against the mountains this morning and it was cool and very windy with just the odd tiny spot of rain.

I hate Norwest winds. They change me from a friendly, fun loving beekeeper into a grumpy old man.

canterbury nor-west is an absolute killer.

road rage and idiot drivers, headaches and mad as grumpy ness !

6 hours ago, Maggie James said:

R they hot strong winds?  Does the sea/coastal area affect their temperature?

Not particularly hot, perhaps due to the gulf cooling them down  but can be strong and continuous. 
I’ve seen it blow almost the entire time the cabbages trees were flowering and the bees haven’t been able to get near the tress because of it.  It’s our first real spring pollen source so we need it for the build. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

Not particularly hot, perhaps due to the gulf cooling them down  but can be strong and continuous. 
I’ve seen it blow almost the entire time the cabbages trees were flowering and the bees haven’t been able to get near the tress because of it.  It’s our first real spring pollen source so we need it for the build. 

sounds like home.

It was over 40 years ago but we had a summer where the Norwester blew every day for the whole summer. You would get up in the morning and it would be dead calm and then just as it was warm enough for the bees to fly  away it would go.

As an aside does anyone know why the Norwest  one tends to be worse in the daytime rather than night. I know when it's a real gale it will blow 24 /7 but at least round here most of the time it's a daytime wind.

I gave up today.. the yard sits under tall gums and the roaring above had me glancing up every 5 minutes.. as I told myself.. surely I’d hear a crack before it falls on me or my bees or my ute.. 

that and everytime a good gust came through it would take half the bees off the frame.. enough is enough. 
tomorrow forecasts isobars are pretty tight might stay at the shed and make Nuc floors. 
fingers crossed fridays change allows some mating weather.. 

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

I gave up today.. the yard sits under tall gums and the roaring above had me glancing up every 5 minutes.. as I told myself.. surely I’d hear a crack before it falls on me or my bees or my ute.. 

that and everytime a good gust came through it would take half the bees off the frame.. enough is enough. 
tomorrow forecasts isobars are pretty tight might stay at the shed and make Nuc floors. 

Just wait until 19-21 Sept (spring equinox)!  In the last two decades, I remember only one equinox when it wasn't strong winds

9 hours ago, Stoney said:

snow forecast for friday

Gale NW here Maggie since 3am.. vege garden soil height has lowered 50mm.. there maybe a flick of snow on the hill tonight but 14 deg temp shouldn’t be too bad. I’d say the southern end of site hives have had a good forager boost this week.. 

• Good Info 1
9 hours ago, Maggie James said:

Just wait until 19-21 Sept (spring equinox)!  In the last two decades, I remember only one equinox when it wasn't strong winds

Shame it wont still be from the norwest. Was considering coming over surfcasting off Birdlings flat if it had.  A mate on a fishing boat off the coast between Chch and Kaikoura sent a video yesterday. Looked like hard work.

• Like 1
On 16/09/2020 at 5:01 PM, john berry said:

It was over 40 years ago but we had a summer where the Norwester blew every day for the whole summer. You would get up in the morning and it would be dead calm and then just as it was warm enough for the bees to fly  away it would go.

As an aside does anyone know why the Norwest  one tends to be worse in the daytime rather than night. I know when it's a real gale it will blow 24 /7 but at least round here most of the time it's a daytime wind.

When we get the westerly winds it is often dead calm until about 10.30 and drops off when the sun gets low in the evening sky .

• Like 1