• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All our native bees are similar to your solitary bees.

Welcome to the forum @TheSwedishLord, no, I don't expect anyone to be keeping Apis cerana japonica in New Zealand, they would have to be imported, and  there would be no benefit as they produce very little honey crop, and while we have more hives of Apis Melifera than sensible, before we imported another type of bee, we prefer to encourage our own native species of bees - none of which live as large colonies and produce honey.

Ok, so then I can learn about your native bees. What other kind of bees do you have there?
Our native bee is A. melifera melifera but the most common one is the Buckfast variant followed by Krainer and some other. We also have alot of solitary bees (is that correct english name?)
At the moment I have 3 hives with a form of A. melifera called Elgon and next year I will start two hives with our nativ A. m. melifera. They will be kept so they can keep most of their honey as winter food and they will be kept in a form of TBH.

/TheSwedishLord