First attempt at raising queens by grafting.

Well,iv been reading,asking,watching as much as i can about queen rearing and today was the timed day for my first ever attempt at grafting some larvae.

My attempt at a timing frame,for correct age larvae was a big fail.

I put a drawn frame into middle of bottom box of a double,filled the rest of box with capped brood frames and food and hoped she would start laying in there Mon night,ready to graft today (pic 1).

As you can c,only eggs in that frame,so looked to another hive for donor frame ( pic 2 ).

Overwintered nuc was the donor ( pic 3 )

Pulled cell frame from 24hr queenless nuc ,should be nice n polished ( pic 4 )

IMG_20200911_142324.jpg

IMG_20200911_142406.jpg

IMG_20200911_142252.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well,iv been reading,asking,watching as much as i can about queen rearing and today was the timed day for my first ever attempt at grafting some larvae. My attempt at a timing frame,for correct a

Well,not too bad,obviously room for improvement. So,the queenless nuc was a 3/4 extended heightwise making it large enough to take the FD graft frame . The 3/4 double brood hive wasnt lol.So

Well done that’s a really good first attempt you should be stoked with that.  

Posted Images

Heater running,warm wet towel,donor frame,headlight,glasses and 2 chinese tools ,i was ready to attempt my first graft (pic 5 )

Hopefully,i got right age larvae.Not as easy as i thought it would be and i kept digging tool end into wax and tipping some over.

Anyway i managed to fill all cups...how have i done? (pic 6 ,7,8 )

IMG_20200911_142220.jpg

IMG_20200911_142148.jpg

IMG_20200911_141941.jpg

IMG_20200911_141842.jpg

IMG_20200911_141725.jpg

• Like 1
10 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

How did it go @Phil46 ?

Well,not too bad,obviously room for improvement.

So,the queenless nuc was a 3/4 extended heightwise making it large enough to take the FD graft frame .

The 3/4 double brood hive wasnt lol.So,i had to shoot home and modify a 3/4 frame to fix this amateur fupar! (pic 1)

Brushing n smoking  the bees off graft frame,i counted 11 out of 16 cells started. ( pic 2 ) I swapped rails over hoping i didnt cause any damage and put frame into double box queenright hive.

IMG_20200913_190306.jpg

IMG_20200913_190230.jpg

• Like 2