Is beekeeping in NZ turning into a Police state

Ah,...statistically, we do Not have an AFB problem

According to the stats, disease....'including AFB is at 4%......' ie, 6th on the list of reasons for colony loses.

I'm not saying it has the potential to be a threat, it has been in the past, But, it obviously isnt the same serious threat it used to be.

82.8+% hives loses due to other reasons. I suggest we start taking a serious look at why that is.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the afb levy is worth every cent. i suspect we have probably lost more $$$ to afb than we have ever paid in levy.   the catch here is that in a down turn it becomes more important to fu

Just done some sums how this will affect me. I have 320 hives. Multiply that by $1.70 and add $40.00, we get a total of $584.00.   I guess there are worse things I could do with $584.00. My

Is beekeeping in NZ becoming a police state ?   We are being asked to give comments if we are happy with a 30% increase in our hive levy. What for ? So we can have a electronic nar

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mischief said:

Ah, statistics...

If a bkpr reports a 10% hive loss due to failed queens?  Significant, I guess, esp. if it can fairly be attributed to that.

A 10% loss due to failed varroa treatments?  Again, significant and should lead to a change in mangement.

But a 10% loss due to AFB?  If you haven't already battened down the hatches, ensuring inspections and tracking honey supers, etc, you would be in for a dramatic future.

It isn't so much the actual AFB percentage - by your outfit or by the country - it is the massively increased risk of serious AFB outbreaks that makes AFB so much more worrisome. 

Agreed and good explanation Nick.

It's a contagious disease Mischief. You know what can happen if one case of covid 19 gets into the community? If we do not deal with it right, not long and we have a big problem.

See AFB the same way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
13 hours ago, mischief said:

According to the stats, disease....'including AFB is at 4%......' ie, 6th on the list of reasons for colony loses.

I'm not saying it has the potential to be a threat, it has been in the past, But, it obviously isnt the same serious threat it used to be.

82.8+% hives loses due to other reasons. I suggest we start taking a serious look at why that is.

The 4% that is AFB if allowed to continue and spread will grow, and very quickly, not only in one beekeepers hives, but the surrounding hives of others, so that is the major difference - it is the only colony loss type with the ability to affect other competent beekeepers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2