Queen cell cup frame

Ata marie,quick question for you experienced queen rearers,is there an advantage in placing cell cup frame into hive a day or two before grafting into it,for the bees to polish/clean the cups?

This is my first go at raising a few queens.

Cheers,Phil.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Awesome info fellas,looks like time in the hive is the go.I'll put it in 24 hrs before i graft.Iv got JZBZ queen rearing cell cups,rails and frame.First attempt is going to be 20cells,started in an ov

I like to put mine in 12 to 24 hours before grafting. If you leave them in to long they tend to build wax on them or even put fresh nectar into them during a honey flow. Many years ago we used to use home-made wax cells and they definitely needed a bit of time in the hive before grafting. These days I use plastic cell cups and I have occasionally grafted directly into them with reasonable results but I still think they benefit from a bit of time in the hive.

I also have got reasonable results grafting straight into plastic cups (Buzzco). I certainly prefer putting them into hives for a day or two first though. I use recycled ones quite often. These get cleaned up by heating in a pot with some dishwashing liquid until the wax has melted off them. Then rinsed 3-4 times with cold water. These have a little residual wax left on them and bees are very happy to use them.

I have a vague recollection from a conversation with my brother, who uses the Ecrotek ones, that they work better if the bees get a chance to polish them up (and the Ecrotek website suggests as much).

Awesome info fellas,looks like time in the hive is the go.I'll put it in 24 hrs before i graft.Iv got JZBZ queen rearing cell cups,rails and frame.First attempt is going to be 20cells,started in an oversized queenless nuc then transferred to a queen right,double brood hive.

@Stoneyyes iv got the David Woodward queen bee book,lots of good information in there,also lots of different ways on utube...iv picked the way that looked simplest to me.

Im also trying a type of timing box /isolation method to hopefully provide the correct age larvae.

Bring on friday!

• Like 1