Kiwis encouraged to “Bee A Hero” at home

Comvita Co-founder Alan Bougen says there are many simple things people can do at home to help bees thrive.......

This Bee Aware Month, Comvita has partnered with BEESUPTOP, a charitable organisation who rescue and re-home bee swarms in urban areas.

Their aim is to increase New Zealand’s bee population by supplying healthy, happy hives for urban dwellers to rent.......

Around 80 per cent of proceeds from renting their beehives goes back into helping to rescue more bees.

Head to comvita.co.nz/beeaware to find out more about Bee Aware Month, Bees Up Top and the beehive giveaway.

https://www.sunlive.co.nz/news/251098-kiwis-encouraged-to-bee-a-hero-at-home.html?fbclid=IwAR0DATZDzDE8q36JDxEwQBd1h4R6qWUGj_cISYs7tXN2XGpZUE-SqkMmHvE

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bee awareness is a great time for me.. I get to hit our local school kids with 45 minutes of facts, passing spring flowering plant branches around and see their little eyes pop as I overload their bra

Yes, I read that, and I couldn't think of anything to say about it either.   I just can't...

Comvita Co-founder Alan Bougen says there are many simple things people can do at home to help bees thrive.......   This Bee Aware Month, Comvita has partnered with BEESUPTOP, a charitable o

There are too many hives in New Zealand.

This has had a huge impact on productivity per hive and urban hives are some of the worst affected. 

There are only so many flowers and maybe one day the corporate beekeepers will realise that this is a reality .

Saving the bees is a nice thought but they have to go somewhere and there is nowhere left for them to go.

• Agree 2
14 hours ago, Dave Black said:

Yes, I read that, and I couldn't think of anything to say about it either.

I just can't...

Well, a few things to say:

Following the links, how does someone charge $154 per month $1848 per year for a hive rental? Seems too much.

If 80% of the money gets donated to charity, the actual hive running cost is only $31 per month? Seems too little for a single hive in a random spot.

So the hive rental costs are only 20% or $31 per month and they over charge clients 5x?

Do bees need a charity to save them because they are dying out?

Who approves the formation of these charities?

I guess the St John Ambulance service is a charity but they pay their big knobs big bucks. So maybe this charity only breaks even because they have to pay the best people..

Given the swarm collector lists of Auckland Bee club and Kiwimana and the paid professional bee swarm website company, and now this charity too, where are all these bees coming from that need saving? All this happening in arguably the worst AFB hot spot in NZL.

So, all I have are questions and more questions.

The quote attributed to Alan Bougen is totally fine and good. Plant a camealia. So, that shows there is one positive thing I can say.

But the rest of it seems very suspect pr marketing spin. And just like the TV One News saga probably perfectly legal.

• Agree 2
1 hour ago, ChrisM said:

Following the links, how does someone charge $154 per month $1848 per year for a hive rental?

I find it quite believable that a lot of folk would be fine with that. The $100k pa club in this country is large and growing....

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ChrisM said:

I guess the St John Ambulance service is a charity but they pay their big knobs big bucks. So maybe this charity only breaks even because they have to pay the best people..

St John is in a $30 funding deficit due to Covid, which is now going to get worse due to the level 2 implications. A recent staffing restructure has taken out some of the senior managers. Also they're only funded to 70% of normal daily operations, so 30% has to come from Charity to plug the gap - which btw, also took a covid hit as St John's collection window was during the first lockdown.

4 hours ago, yesbut said:

I find it quite believable that a lot of folk would be fine with that. The $100k pa club in this country is large and growing....

True. Also they find it justifiable as they think they're spending more to save the bees and therefore doing something better or healthier than anyone else. Ultimately its riding the back of 'Honey beats coughs', 'honey beats cancer', lets have a jar of our own backyard honey - which of course they don't actually get.

1 hour ago, Grant said:

St John is in a $30 funding deficit due to Covid, which is now going to get worse due to the level 2 implications. A recent staffing restructure has taken out some of the senior managers. Also they're only funded to 70% of normal daily operations, so 30% has to come from Charity to plug the gap - which btw, also took a covid hit as St John's collection window was during the first lockdown.

yep sorry, not a great example/comparison, but I was aiming more at the MIchelle Boag CEO level (aka the big knobs), rather than people who actually did work.I imagine the staff at St Johns would be better off if it was nationalised and was part of the health service, but it is probably be between a rock and a hard place. Sorry going off topic.