At last, a frame that will biodegrade, or burn clean

12 hours ago, john berry said:

It seems crazy that wooden frames are imported from overseas.

Given the amount of pine we produce here I'd just go with it is crazy rather than only seeming crazy...

• Like 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd like to know what they're made from. Palm kernel comes into the country by the cubic kilometre...I'd hate to think NZ beeks were contributing to Orangutan habitat destruction alongside the dairy c

Congratulations Ecrotek!   To anyone who has had to burn AFB, you will know what a mess it is burning plastic frames.   This invention has been a long time coming, but finally it i

I'm sorry guys ..... but the bio frame is a big yawn from me..... sort of.   We've spent over three weeks washing wax out of frames and cleaning them up ready for new foundation. These were

Posted Images

I really like the idea of these. As a hobby keeper, having to clean and redo foundation is a pain. And I refuse to buy plastic. As soon as these come in ¾ I will be all over it, seems like a great solution.

Economics will change. These may be the first, but they wont be the only ones for long

3 hours ago, Sailabee said:

From a hobbyist point of view, the Russian pine is streets ahead of the local fast grown stuff, and much easier to assemble.

But it is not sustainable. 200 years to grow shipped to China, assembled and wired there, then shipped to N.Z. where people like you buy it. What is this doing to the planet and inj these ti9mes are you helping local businesses. No I think not.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Given that >90% of hives are commercial, I'm sure that these frames are aimed at commercial beekeepers. Ecrotek has to try to stay in business and commercial beekeeping is the only thing that can do that.

However, if you go down the cheapest, most sustainable route using NZ pine and if you are a hobbiest, but NOT a commercial then surely the problem was already solved a long time ago. I'll repost an old photo I put on forum previously. I realise it is not to everyone's liking but even an unwired foundationless frame in a long hive would suit a lot of hobbiests...

tiger honey.jpg

19 hours ago, Bighands said:

But it is not sustainable. 200 years to grow shipped to China, assembled and wired there, then shipped to N.Z. where people like you buy it. What is this doing to the planet and inj these ti9mes are you helping local businesses. No I think not.

We buy kitset, so no Chinese component, and the trees here grow in 18 years, so no comparison in the density of the wood fibres.

Frames are one of the few things that fast grown pine  is really good for. Even New Zealand grown pine from places with harsher winters is not as good as it often contains hard winter growth rings. These are fine if they are vertical or horizontal in the timber but when they run at an angle they can deflect the frame staple. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the slow-growing foreign timber.