How to report suspected unregistered apiaries

To report suspected unregistered apiaries, the GPS coordinates have to be given to the AFB management agency.

Not everybody knows how to get the GPS coordinates, so here is an easy way.

First, on your computer go to Google and enter Download Google Earth. It will find the link, click on it and follow the instyructions to download Google earth to your computer.

Once you have downloaded Google Earth, it can give the coordinates of any location. But the GPS coordinates it gives are not in the right format for us, so we have to change it. To do that go to the TOOLS button as per the pic, click it, and from the drop down menu click OPTIONS

tools.png

• Good Info 2
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to see the 30 days rule changed. I  will tell you why. On a Rata year quite a few beekeepers come over here to the otira valley from Canterbury, leave the hives on site for 30 days or lon

To report suspected unregistered apiaries, the GPS coordinates have to be given to the AFB management agency.   Not everybody knows how to get the GPS coordinates, so here is an easy way.

Google Earth will now display the GPS coordinates in the right format.   Now, in the search space at the top left on Google earth, enter the approximate address of the suspect apiary then cl

Posted Images

Google Earth will now display the GPS coordinates in the right format.

Now, in the search space at the top left on Google earth, enter the approximate address of the suspect apiary then click SEARCH. Goodle Earth will zoom into the location. You can zoom in closer by clicking on the screen. Put you mouse on where the apiary is, and the GPS coordinates will show at the bottom of the screen. In this example thay are -36.675577 174.672480

3.png

• Good Info 2

Hi, once a person has these co-ord's, what then? Are we supposed to send an email to Sheryl? 

I've never done any of this, but it would be good to know what they prefer, it could be something to put in our next BoP newsletter...

Patience Chris I am just about to post that 😄.

Once the new Apiweb site is up and running this will not be needed and perhaps a moderator could delete this post. But until then, you go to https://afb.org.nz/, click the CONTACTS button, find the applicable email address, and send a brief description to them and the GPS coordinates by email.

I have not written the email address here, get it from the site, as email addresses change from time to time.

Edited by Alastair
  • Thanks 1

To me the real question is how do i know to suspect that the apiary  is unregistered.   The most flashest of hives have been known to be unregistered,  big corporate hives have been known to be unregistered  and so on

Apiaries full of dead hives can be registered 

So do we just report all apiaries we see as un registered 

Just looking for some meaningful guidance  

Nail on head Morporks, it is impossible to know.

Registered apiaries are required to show the registration number, but the facts on the ground are that many don't. And that is something I would like to see change. 

Mostly people go by gut feel. In my view, if you suspect, report it. Once the system is streamlined and made efficient so human time is not wasted on reports of apiaries that turned out to be registered, the more information that comes in, the more likelihood of catching the unregistered ones.

I personally have known of several disease clusters that were caused by unregistered sites and took several years to resolve because of that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

but it is only the beekeepers registration number anyway. So while most smaller beekeepers do have their rego on the boxes, it is hardly proof the site is registered. Now that the rego fees are based on hives and not sites there is no reason to 'forget' to register a site. 

I don't know the figures but I imagine there are two main problems.

Unregistered hobbyists and registered commercials who can't be bothered with time/trouble of registering every single site, essentially hiding some of their hives. Sometimes one or other group will pipe up in social media fleetingly. The general angle seems to be a "you're not the boss of me" standpoint claiming some kind of rights or other personal freedom.

I can't think of a solution that doesn't increase complance costs. Maybe it would be helpful to outline anything that the majority of cases have in common. I'm expecting it is the urban hobbyist who is clue-less such that the bees die off every year and then gear is left to fester when they give up.

I say this because the AFB map in the magazine is clearly worst in urban centres. While it is all very well spending AFB money on a helicopter to find secret Manuka sites in Taranaki, that doesn't seem to be the red hot centre of AFB(?) 

In contrast city councils pour over maps to find swimming pools and building extensions that are not permited. The chopper money could be used look over these same aerial photos for beehives without needing to put a chopper in the air. It could be a source of income for councils to locate these hives and a cheap solution for the management agency to follow up photographic evidence.

• Agree 1

I did hear gossip that was most likely true, that some beekeepers wouldn't register sites that were in locations that were unlikely to ever be discovered.

The chopper thing, which was a few years ago now, was very successful at finding a good number of unregistered sites. But was also useful for letting others know, who had sites where they thought they would never be found, that they could be found. Helicopter surveillance could be repeated at any time. Last time around some people got warnings, but where concealment appeared intentional especially of multiple sites, more severe penalties were handed out.

We are given 30 days to register a new site but the hope is they will be registered immediately. So the helicopter surveillance was done, then there was a waiting period to see if those beekeepers found to have unregistered sites would register within the 30 days, before any enforcement action was taken.

• Good Info 1

I would like to see the 30 days rule changed. I  will tell you why. On a Rata year quite a few beekeepers come over here to the otira valley from Canterbury, leave the hives on site for 30 days or longer, up to 6 weeks and go back home with 100 kg plus/ hive without registering the site.Is that fair on the rest of us paying our dues, no, I think not.

• Agree 1
  • Stirrer 1
  • Disagree 1
41 minutes ago, Bighands said:

I would like to see the 30 days rule changed. I  will tell you why. On a Rata year quite a few beekeepers come over here to the otira valley from Canterbury, leave the hives on site for 30 days or longer, up to 6 weeks and go back home with 100 kg plus/ hive without registering the site.Is that fair on the rest of us paying our dues, no, I think not.

Wonder how they declare on the HD where they produced the rata honey then..?  Ashburton? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Heya, just some thoughts from a geek.

When you drop a pin in Google Maps it also gives you decimal degree positions, nothing to install, no settings changes required. If you click and hold on any spot, it will drop a pin there and show you a little pop-up at the bottom. In this case I have dropped the pin in what would be a presumably unpopular apiary site:

1140078106_Screenshotfrom2020-09-0815-49-33.thumb.png.de9532a0e68ca3a486a822a034405046.png

I don't know what the agency likes, but while decimal degrees are fine for written media like emails, if you want to communicate a position over the phone you probably want either a "Plus Code" which you can also get from Google Maps by clicking on the coordinates to see the full info pane:

872240427_Screenshotfrom2020-09-0815-46-51.thumb.png.4723442022cbeba07c95bcb3d8f715c7.png

Make sure to include the rough location with the code - in this case the "Wellington" bit. Plus codes are much shorter to communicate, and really easy to turn back in to coordinates (e.g. search for them on Google Maps). It's an open standard so anyone can implement the conversion.

If you want something even easier, but unfortunately mired in licensing issues, What3Words is a very cool idea but rather litigious company.

Edited by Tim Goddard
  • Like 1
  • Good Info 1
On 2/09/2020 at 7:22 PM, Bighands said:

Even if at a temporary site for less than 30 days, a beekeeper is still supposed to register, just cos there is 30 days grace does not mean they should not say where they have been.

That is to enable AFB tracking if the need should arise.

It also costs nothing. A beekeeper is levied on how many hives they have registered on the last day of March. Whatever they did mean time does not cost.

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 1