Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty stoked with these bad boys (girls)! ... I also have taken @Maggie JamesQC tutorial 😊, though I am using the double screen board method for production. Got a take of 86 out of 90 grafts. 

Really gotta say I don’t like not having the location visible.   I don’t want to have to check a profile every time I want to see where someone’s from to get an idea of whether there Post is mo

The bureaucrats are the only ones making money right now. When I grow up I want to be a bureaucrat   

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

Relentless gusty nor wester beating me up again today, pulled the pin about 3:30 due to concerns around tree limbs sending me to meet  my maker earlier than I’d like.. popped into the builders to cut out any rogue cells.. pretty happy with the juicy cells.. Thanks @Maggie James for your tips and tricks. However I did revert to cloake board method 😬

2 builders are level above the other and it really shows. 
 

6054D72E-D00D-4B36-A93E-9870776EA92D.png

Woww! You sure they only have one queen in those cells!?😊

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't have barberry in this neck of the woods.  I have seen it in parts of Otago, but not in flower.  Definitely seen it lots in the Nth Is, but not in flower. 

 

I have just had a look at your profile to see where you are.  Is it my imagination, or did that info used to be just below our moniker? 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Maggie James said:

I have just had a look at your profile to see where you are.  Is it my imagination, or did that info used to be just below our moniker? 

 

Nelson. And it's not your imagination. Grant seems to have more time on his hands to fiddle with things these days. This time it's something about speeding up scrolling....

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Nelson. And it's not your imagination. Grant seems to have more time on his hands to fiddle with things these days. This time it's something about speeding up scrolling....

Don't know about others, but I liked immediately seeing where someone was from.  It sometimes makes a difference in interpreting regional comments; particularly about hive health, weather, and sometimes practises specific to an area.  

 

I went into someone's profile yesterday, and it didn't have the area, which was a bit of a nuisance.  And of course, we don't always have time to go into someone's profile or make a post asking them where they are from.  

 

Thanks for your answer.

 

Need to fly now before the weather changes.  

  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, john berry said:

I know how you feel. The strong winds up here are really knocking my broomstick around.

You are lucky to have a broomstick.  Here right now it would get snaped in half.    I can't even stand up in an apiary - have converted my broomstick to hiking poles!  Home now!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

I have heard the term Blue Socks before.  Is it an incidental gathering?  It looks like it is on their legs.  Or is it because they can't pack it in the sacs?

 

Fab brood pattern! 

I assume they try to pack it into their sacs but the stringy nature of it makes it difficult so it loosely sticks to the legs. I have not managed to find bees actually working the flowers for pollen to see how they are trying to do it.

Yes - the brood does look good:)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Maggie James said:

That's the result of a good experienced beekeeper attending one of my queen cell tuts!

Cant wait til you venture back up these ways Maggie,to share your know how,il definitely be attending!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Stoney said:

Relentless gusty nor wester beating me up again today, pulled the pin about 3:30 due to concerns around tree limbs sending me to meet  my maker earlier than I’d like.. popped into the builders to cut out any rogue cells.. pretty happy with the juicy cells.. Thanks @Maggie James for your tips and tricks. However I did revert to cloake board method 😬

2 builders are level above the other and it really shows. 
 

6054D72E-D00D-4B36-A93E-9870776EA92D.png

My queens are looking good too, put down my third graft of the season today, first lots due out on saturday.

I just use the emergency response, split the hive, take the queen and put my grafting frame next to cell cups ready to graft 

  • Like 1
  • Good Info 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all

A reminder

We are having a discussion day

Zespri and APINZ BOP discussion day at Trustpower BayPark Truman Rd

Mount Mauganui.

Kiwifruit Pollination Research  Update – Thursday 24th Sept (9.30am to 3pm)

Zespri, Plant and Food Research and the APINZ BOP  invite you to a   pollination research update.

Scientists from the PFR research team will update attendees on a number of recent research  projects that will interest you.

It will provide an opportunity to engage with PFR and Zespri staff so bring along your questions as well.   

Below is the proposed agenda for the Beekeeper research update morning:

 

9.30:                    Welcome

9.35:                    Industry overview, pollination resources – Shane/Mary

10.00:                  Optimal hive strength and physiology for pollination (Ashley Mortensen)

10.20:                  Bees under nets (Melissa Broussard)

10.40:                  Tea break

10.55:                  Bumblebox (Theo Van Noort)

11.15:                  French bumblebee video

11.20:                  Pollen dispensers (David Pattemore)

11.40:                  Panel Discussion – David, Theo, Ashley, Melissa

12.00:                  Lunch

At the completion on the research update a light lunch will be provided followed by a APINZ BOP meeting ………

NZ Honey Story what’s it about and how you can use it.

Honey Characterization Project, who’s involved  and why.

What’s the latest Manuka update

AFB the latest.

And more.

Biosecurity issues bother us as

 

As we do not know the COVID status in late September and for catering purposes,  we require you to  pre-register your intent to attend by  registering through this link https://www.zesprievents.co.nz/KiwifruitPollination

 

Dennis

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Hi all

A reminder

We are having a discussion day

Zespri and APINZ BOP discussion day at Trustpower BayPark Truman Rd

Mount Mauganui.

Kiwifruit Pollination Research  Update – Thursday 24th Sept (9.30am to 3pm)

Zespri, Plant and Food Research and the APINZ BOP  invite you to a   pollination research update.

Scientists from the PFR research team will update attendees on a number of recent research  projects that will interest you.

It will provide an opportunity to engage with PFR and Zespri staff so bring along your questions as well.   

Below is the proposed agenda for the Beekeeper research update morning:

 

9.30:                    Welcome

9.35:                    Industry overview, pollination resources – Shane/Mary

10.00:                  Optimal hive strength and physiology for pollination (Ashley Mortensen)

10.20:                  Bees under nets (Melissa Broussard)

10.40:                  Tea break

10.55:                  Bumblebox (Theo Van Noort)

11.15:                  French bumblebee video

11.20:                  Pollen dispensers (David Pattemore)

11.40:                  Panel Discussion – David, Theo, Ashley, Melissa

12.00:                  Lunch

At the completion on the research update a light lunch will be provided followed by a APINZ BOP meeting ………

NZ Honey Story what’s it about and how you can use it.

Honey Characterization Project, who’s involved  and why.

What’s the latest Manuka update

AFB the latest.

And more.

Biosecurity issues bother us as

 

As we do not know the COVID status in late September and for catering purposes,  we require you to  pre-register your intent to attend by  registering through this link https://www.zesprievents.co.nz/KiwifruitPollination

 

Dennis

Wish I could. Have a RMP audit today, lol.

Will there be resources available afterwards?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...