So you have 1mill $ worth of honey in the shed with no way of moving it below cost of production. I have to ask you why are you still trying to produce honey you cannot sell. You must have steel balls or a very good backer.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty stoked with these bad boys (girls)! ... I also have taken @Maggie JamesQC tutorial 😊, though I am using the double screen board method for production. Got a take of 86 out of 90 grafts. 

Really gotta say I don’t like not having the location visible.   I don’t want to have to check a profile every time I want to see where someone’s from to get an idea of whether there Post is mo

The bureaucrats are the only ones making money right now. When I grow up I want to be a bureaucrat   

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I was interested to read in todays 'Rural news' that honey sales are up 20% on last year ...... $425million  worth of sales.

That sounds quite a lot ...... but then I sat down and cracked a cold one and had a big think .....

At an average price , and bear in mind we are small fry producers,  we have a million bucks worth of raw honey sitting in the shed ......

I'm not sure $425 million is a great deal from an industry in good shape ..... bearing in mind that probably most is sold in retail packs .

Pops another top ...... we had pig hunters up last week ..... they bring  a tradeable commodity of pop a tops ..... I quite like pig hunters ..... just gotta educate them on what is good and what is not ..... if you get my drift . 

WAIKATO IS GOOD. Get the drift.

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Bighands said:

So you have 1mill $ worth of honey in the shed with no way of moving it below cost of production. I have to ask you why are you still trying to produce honey you cannot sell. You must have steel balls or a very good backer.

Good question @Bighands .

My balls are quite similar to everyone else's  .... I imagine .

We are in the fortunate position to have  to have no financial backer except my own savings regime.

And  ..... we are passionate about what we do.  And by hook or by crook we will do it ..... and I would rather have a shed full of unsold honey than a shed full of nothing at all ...... and I am quite happy to work another season for nothing , but with the prospect of filling more dums, bearing in mind that nothing from nothing is nothing ...... but a shed  full of something  has significantly more potential than an empty shed.

Today we got home early ..... and spent the later part of the afternoon planting bare rooted oak trees. I mentioned to the crew that in a hundred years time their great grand kids could skite that their great grandfathers planted the forest.

The long ball will always win over the curved ball..... no matter how big or small they are.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, YTB8TA270 said:

WAIKATO IS GOOD. Get the drift.

We had a young fellah on from the Coromandel.   He introduced us to the Waikato water  ..... the young  'un went home halfway through the season ......if you get my drift !

5 minutes ago, jamesc said:

We had a young fellah on from the Coromandel.   He introduced us to the Waikato water  ..... the young  'un went home halfway through the season ......if you get my drift !

They dont make young fellah's like they used to. Ya gota tough it out. Gets easier with time.... Talking bout toughin it out, i did four hives today on crutches. Hives a pumpin. Brood in top an bottom boxes with mature lookin drones(some)and a swarm cell in one hive. Nectar and pollen coming in. Gonin ta have hop around em more often i feel. 

• Like 1
On 5/09/2020 at 8:55 AM, Dennis Crowley said:

Hi all

We are having a discussion day

Zespri and APINZ BOP discussion day,

A preliminary notice, date and venue booked , just some covid details and topics to be finalized.

Kiwifruit Pollination Research  Update – Thursday 24th Sept (9.30am to 3pm) at BayPark Mount Mauganui.

Zespri, Plant and Food Research and the APINZ BOP  invite you to a   pollination research update.

Scientists from the PFR research team will update attendees on a number of recent research  projects that will interest you.

It will provide an opportunity to engage with PFR and Zespri staff so bring along your questions as well.   

At the completion on the research update a light lunch will be provided followed by a APINZ BOP meeting ………

NZ Honey Story what’s it about and how you can use it.

Honey Characterization Project, who’s involved  and why.

What’s the latest Manuka update

AFB the latest.

And more.

Biosecurity issues bother us as

As we do not know the COVID status in late September and for catering purposes,  we require you to  pre-register your intent to attend by  registering through this link ( to be provided by Kelly).  

Will send rest of info when we have it, but the venue and time is booked in.

Dennis

Hi All

Here is the booking link to send out with the email you are going to send -

Kiwifruit Pollination Research  Update – Thursday 24th Sept (9.30am to 4.30pm) at BayPark.

https://www.zesprievents.co.nz/KiwifruitPollination 

Any questions do not hesitate to ask,

Kind regards

Dennis

its an interesting question tho.....we interpret the dance from above and in the light, but the bees they are communicating with are in the dark hive, and are looking at the dancer from the same level- so do not see what we do. There must be something more to the dance than just visual clues.

• Agree 1

Vibrations and sharing of the food source.. I get a kick out of seeing the frantic dances.. willows just starting here.. fingers crossed the nor west winds aren’t too strong to put a finish to the flow before it begins.. wouldn’t be the first time.. 

Watched some bee dancing tuesday when I was shaking bees into packages, still fascinating after all these years. Bees busily doing their thing even while the hive was open. Then bang, they are in a package, all their plans messed up.

They are smart little critters, they do so much more than any other insect. I do believe they think, and are intelligent.

• Agree 1
On 8/09/2020 at 7:17 PM, jamesc said:

Because I like them ......

They have no foliage in the winter to bring the tree down under a weight of snow.

They have a soft light in the spring as the new leaf pops,

The pigs love the acorns in the autumn,

They produce the most durable of timber ..... Heart of Oak built the Empire ....

And they absorb a humungous amount of CO2 as they grow .....

And they should still be here in 400 years time !

Oaks produce honeydew harvested by honey bees.  Oaks provide shelter around the countryside, for apiaries and so bees can fly.  Oaks can also be used to provide shelter so that pollen and nectar producing plants can be grown.

Hmm..  oak fed piggy wiggy - sounds yummy

11 hours ago, Mummzie said:

its an interesting question tho.....we interpret the dance from above and in the light, but the bees they are communicating with are in the dark hive, and are looking at the dancer from the same level- so do not see what we do. There must be something more to the dance than just visual clues.

They communicate with their antennae also

3 hours ago, Alastair said:

They are smart little critters, they do so much more than any other insect. I do believe they think, and are intelligent.

A lot of the ant families are pretty sophisticated.....farming aphids.....

• Agree 1

Ants already do rule the world. 

But some years ago I saw a documentary about termites. An insect we don't give much thought to in NZ. But I was amazed. Not sure about individually, but as a group together they are incredibly smart, the construction and maintenance of a termite mound is incredible.

Here is one thing that a desert dwelling termite species does. Each morning if it will be a hot day, they go out and select white grains of sand and put them all over their termite mound, to deflect the heat of the sun. Later in the day at a time they choose, they go out and take them all off, to capture some of the suns heat before night, when it gets very cold.

How did they ever figure out how to do that? Gotta wonder.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 2

The Unabridged Message to Mate.

We all have them ...eh.

Last night my mate rang 

Mates 

Crates

Days gone by

Buds plugged

Drugged

The green tinge of  spring

The warmth of the sun