3 hours ago, jamesc said:

We won't talk about the COF @Gino de Graaf.  Big truck flew through .  The missus took the Beanie truck in today .The front RH indicator was a bit wobbly, and the seat had a rip in it ..... fail.  what the dickens.

Beanie truck is a handy truck ...... Nissan Atlas 4X4 ...... carries two tonne on a class 1 licence ,,,,, drives like a wild boar with three dogs hanging on it's snout. Everyone hates it .....  but she's a survivor.

The Missus reckoned she needed to visit the chiropractor afterwards.

I used to call it the gutless atlas, struggled to overtake, but yes it did get the job done

• Agree 1
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty stoked with these bad boys (girls)! ... I also have taken @Maggie JamesQC tutorial 😊, though I am using the double screen board method for production. Got a take of 86 out of 90 grafts. 

Really gotta say I don’t like not having the location visible.   I don’t want to have to check a profile every time I want to see where someone’s from to get an idea of whether there Post is mo

The bureaucrats are the only ones making money right now. When I grow up I want to be a bureaucrat   

Posted Images

10 hours ago, jamesc said:

We won't talk about the COF @Gino de Graaf.  Big truck flew through .  The missus took the Beanie truck in today .The front RH indicator was a bit wobbly, and the seat had a rip in it ..... fail.  what the dickens.

Beanie truck is a handy truck ...... Nissan Atlas 4X4 ...... carries two tonne on a class 1 licence ,,,,, drives like a wild boar with three dogs hanging on it's snout. Everyone hates it .....  but she's a survivor.

The Missus reckoned she needed to visit the chiropractor afterwards.

Lol. We drove a daihatsu delta. It had no front damping. Drove round corners like a go kart, if one got any speed up. And things clashed and banged. Especially items thrown on the dash as we flew over bumps. 

The Mazda Titan 4x4 wasn't much better. COF stations bit like a dentist visit.

• Haha 2
12 hours ago, jamesc said:

The other thing that really pees me of is that Grant has been fiddling again ..... and my cellphone is flooded with ads and has lost the thingy to download photos ....

I don't think so.

It will be your phone or PC etc that has done an update and logged you out.

Just sign in again and I am sure all the Ads will disappear.

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 2
  • Haha 1

I was helping a friend work his hives to day when I saw a brood cell with  a darkened cap with and an irregular hole . I would have bet money that it was AFB but upon uncapping it had a live healthy bee.

This was a good outcome but it emphasises the need to look.

If you never see these false alarms then you won't see the real thing either.

I treated my first hive ever with formic acid today. I have done an alcohol wash so I know how many mites there were and I will retest it in a month.

I used formicpro which apart from excessive packaging seemed easy enough to use. The warnings on the packet were fairly dire and I definitely kept up wind but I noticed no smell at all.

A question for those that have used formic before. Can you smell it or is it undetectable until you fall over ?

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, john berry said:

A question for those that have used formic before. Can you smell it or is it undetectable until you fall over ?

It has a really biting smell, but it doesn't seem to travel far....eg a Miteaway Quick you might smell held at arms length upwind. Any closer and it'll feel like it's taking a mouthful out of you.

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
1 hour ago, john berry said:

I was helping a friend work his hives to day when I saw a brood cell with  a darkened cap with and an irregular hole . I would have bet money that it was AFB but upon uncapping it had a live healthy bee.

This was a good outcome but it emphasises the need to look.

If you never see these false alarms then you won't see the real thing either.

I treated my first hive ever with formic acid today. I have done an alcohol wash so I know how many mites there were and I will retest it in a month.

I used formicpro which apart from excessive packaging seemed easy enough to use. The warnings on the packet were fairly dire and I definitely kept up wind but I noticed no smell at all.

I've only used a flash formic treatment squirted onto cloth, and when you bent over the hive applying it the fumes get caught in the bee hood with no where to go. So you learn to treat with your head away from the hive.

Pretty new to this forum, but have used the Miteaway strips last year, agree with yesbut, come to close and it will sting your eyes and throat. We also noticed that it burned off the grass right in front of the hives, must have been the vapour coming out of the entrances and had some queen failure with it. Might be a good way of getting rid of any dubious queens! It worked quick and hard, but needs a follow up a bit later on we found.

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, yesbut said:

It has a really biting smell, but it doesn't seem to travel far....eg a Miteaway Quick you might smell held at arms length upwind. Any closer and it'll feel like it's taking a mouthful out of you.

Agreed, but really you'd be a cowboy and nuts if you didn't wear the proper mask. Blackwoods do a great discount to farmlands card holders, they have the correct filters. Just don't do it any other way.

I no longer use MAQS, I spent a year or two trying to make them work but they are a fast treatment that really only works for 3 days and then tapers off. This doesn't make them suitable for reinvasion and a long spring build up. In Autumn it is far too hot and while they claim they are ok to 30C I would never use them again over 25-26C. They are virtually unusable here in Feb.

We trialed them last autumn, hoping they would replace a treatment, but they don't, which makes them double expensive. We're back to Bayvarol/Apivar and oxalic. I did initially like the quick result, good if you need to deal to a hive quickly.

This one was a free sample. I never smelt a thing and I even gave the empty packet a gentle sniff . Must be something in the product as the bees didn't look  happy a few hours after I put it in.

3 hours ago, southbee said:

We also noticed that it burned off the grass right in front of the hives, must have been the vapour coming out of the entrances 

I once had some pollination hives on an apple orchard and they fumigated some adjoining paddocks along with the local Marae who weren't very happy about it.The leaves were scorched of the apple trees to a height of about 1 m so I was expecting the hives to be dead but they were fine  stop

Hi all

We are having a discussion day

Zespri and APINZ BOP discussion day,

A preliminary notice, date and venue booked , just some covid details and topics to be finalized.

Kiwifruit Pollination Research  Update – Thursday 24th Sept (9.30am to 3pm) at BayPark Mount Mauganui.

Zespri, Plant and Food Research and the APINZ BOP  invite you to a   pollination research update.

Scientists from the PFR research team will update attendees on a number of recent research  projects that will interest you.

It will provide an opportunity to engage with PFR and Zespri staff so bring along your questions as well.   

At the completion on the research update a light lunch will be provided followed by a APINZ BOP meeting ………

NZ Honey Story what’s it about and how you can use it.

Honey Characterization Project, who’s involved  and why.

What’s the latest Manuka update

AFB the latest.

And more.

Biosecurity issues bother us as

As we do not know the COVID status in late September and for catering purposes,  we require you to  pre-register your intent to attend by  registering through this link ( to be provided by Kelly).  

Will send rest of info when we have it, but the venue and time is booked in.

Dennis

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 2
On 4/09/2020 at 3:06 PM, john berry said:

I treated my first hive ever with formic acid today.

With all the time you’ve been beekeeping John, I cant believe you still have your first hive ! 😀

• Haha 7
5 hours ago, JohnF said:

With all the time you’ve been beekeeping John, I cant believe you still have your first hive ! 😀

It's had nine new boxes ,three lids, two floors, 126 frames and 27 new Queen's over the years and it is still going strong.

Actually to be completely truthful my very first hive ended up with AFB and was burnt. A sad but useful life lesson for an eight-year-old.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Alastair said:

When viewing the thread, click the follow button near the top of the page.

follow.png

I’m on my phone and the follow ‘button’ is covered by the number of people following... bit weird. If no one else is following I can see it. 

Pretty slow on the diary today ......  so  I posted a picture from lunchtime, a 30. minute break from the 'mahe mahe' of 'crack, check scrape' .......

I had a thought to create a new thread .......'Conversations in the Bee yard' ....... the sort of conversations that happen as you pause between the crack and the scrape ,,,,,, as you ease your back and straighten the spine .....

'Did yah see that thing on the news last night about that mom  making ten k a week on some X rated app ......'

Hmm.

"conversations in the bee yard"

I was interested to read in todays 'Rural news' that honey sales are up 20% on last year ...... $425million  worth of sales.

That sounds quite a lot ...... but then I sat down and cracked a cold one and had a big think .....

At an average price , and bear in mind we are small fry producers,  we have a million bucks worth of raw honey sitting in the shed ......

I'm not sure $425 million is a great deal from an industry in good shape ..... bearing in mind that probably most is sold in retail packs .

Pops another top ...... we had pig hunters up last week ..... they bring  a tradeable commodity of pop a tops ..... I quite like pig hunters ..... just gotta educate them on what is good and what is not ..... if you get my drift .