Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty stoked with these bad boys (girls)! ... I also have taken @Maggie JamesQC tutorial 😊, though I am using the double screen board method for production. Got a take of 86 out of 90 grafts. 

Really gotta say I don’t like not having the location visible.   I don’t want to have to check a profile every time I want to see where someone’s from to get an idea of whether there Post is mo

The bureaucrats are the only ones making money right now. When I grow up I want to be a bureaucrat   

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Reckon it's safe enough to drop a new hive in straight away. 

We used to torch the diseased pallet corner with the hot devil then put the embers out with janola, generally the disease would show on another one or two on that pallet which was probably due to only equalising from within the same pallet.. when we would have the sniffer dogs around the now quarantine site they would always indicate at or next to the burnt corner.. was there disease in the live neighbours or spores on the ground?.. .. well we found generally the answer is BOTH. 
not always possible to not put bees back on the exact spot the disease was, which made our elimination and identification a real challenge . 

Edited by Stoney
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Stoney said:

We used to torch the diseased pallet corner with the hot devil then put the embers out with janola, generally the disease would show on another one or two on that pallet which was probably due to only equalising from within the same pallet.. when we would have the sniffer dogs around the now quarantine site they would always indicate at or next to the burnt corner.. was there disease in the live neighbours or spores on the ground?.. .. well we found generally the answer is BOTH. 
not always possible to not put bees back on the exact spot the disease was, which made our elimination and identification a real challenge . 

Was the pallet also the base board? Or a separate item.

Bit difficult for us to have pallets of 3 for pollination... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Don’t ya just love the school holidays....

Small boys dragging u out of bed to catch the sunrise...

And maybe something else.

I have never been out for a shot wearing a knee high skirt.  Well - there's always next time!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway.... busy day on the bees.

Cells due friday.... so today we zipped around snd whacked queeen excluders between two 

brood boxes so that friday we can breeze through and split and make up the winter losses.

It’s a cheap and cheerfull operation we run this year... at a projected $4/kg return.... every expense will be spared.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Was the pallet also the base board? Or a separate item.

Bit difficult for us to have pallets of 3 for pollination... 

yea also base board, big square of mesh with about 90mm timber edging.. once the dreaded Foulbrood was found the whole site stayed put til a couple years clean, so never had 3 bangers shifted for Polly or M. 
was unbelievable to see the dog indicate on stinkbrood spores on the bare earth even a year later.. moral of the story for me is if the burnt corners do get repopulated there can be ongoing issues. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting day ....

Darren from MyApiary came out to visit.

 

I have seen My Apiary around a bit and always thought ...'Oh yeah ...probably should, but you know, life can go on without.'

 

Darren showed up at half eight. It was cold. Very cold . When I asked him how he was going he said he needed a coffee. Sweet, a man after my own tastes.

Only problem was the water was frozen.

 

I like My Apiary.  The thing I like most is the track and trace for when honey comes off ..... goes in the shed , might wait a week or so before extracting before ending up in the drum..... and the eternal question ..... where did that drum come from.

It's always been our stressful time, identifying the drums that the crop went into, keeping tracks of odds and end pallets and ensuring a smooth traceability when Asure quality come to visit and ask how our recall procedure is.

 

Darren made it sound easy . It's almost a no brainer .   

 

The day warmed , the water thawed, the coffee brewed ..... All was good.

Thanks to you Darren for venturing up our gully.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/09/2020 at 4:33 PM, Stoney said:

We used to torch the diseased pallet corner with the hot devil then put the embers out with janola, generally the disease would show on another one or two on that pallet which was probably due to only equalising from within the same pallet.. when we would have the sniffer dogs around the now quarantine site they would always indicate at or next to the burnt corner.. was there disease in the live neighbours or spores on the ground?.. .. well we found generally the answer is BOTH. 
not always possible to not put bees back on the exact spot the disease was, which made our elimination and identification a real challenge . 

I had a diseased hive and burnt it, burnt the pallet where the hive was and put another one in its position, next season that same spot got AFB so now I'm just gonna have to replace the pallet and move it away a few meters. So far I have 4 empty spots and had mo make 10 nucs from a site that had AFB this season because they were nearly all developing swarm cells even the one with AFB.

20200927_123335.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...