• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK.  I guess this fits into the thread of ‘finding your niche in beekeeping’.   And yes, it is history.  And yes, it is all true.  I guess, given these are real people, I should check with t

With so many people trying to move their crop on the local market, you have to have a point of difference to other marketers.Mine is sustainability.I use glass jars which are returned to me, sterilise

Followed this rainbow all afternoon!

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

The point of difference may not necessarily be honey.  Many have knowledge, skills & assets they can harness for alternative income

Come on Maggie! It's about the story... A spinner. Full of feel good images, and your love for nature and bees as you inspect hives naked. In sunshine, in harmony.. Oh and people too.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice @NickWallingford , always enjoyable reading well written yarns like that. Put me right there.. I’m imagining him stirring his “door sales” honey wearing a white singlet with black braces holding his woolen pants up and the ol classic Park Drive fine cut roll yer own hangin out the corner of his mouth. 
Can be pretty tough trying to create a point of difference that’s different to everyone else’s, yet sometimes it can be staring us right in the face... Family- and their connections and networks can really explode the home sales...

or maybe it’s @Gino de Graafwearing only a smile cutting out swarm cells in his birthday suit and gaining a bit of mainstream airtime in the process 

Or could be @YTB8TA270 even his busted leg bound in plaster and aided by crutches won’t stop him tearing into the brood and managing his W.C ragers.. 

meanwhile Stellas 500 stallions scream for more as @jamescburies his jandal.. a pot of gold setting on the horizon as the cowboy and his rig tear up the kms, weighed down with brood n bees in search of the dragon.. 

Lots of ways forward I spose, I recon there’s no point in waiting to be handed something.. just gotta get out there and make it happen. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I'll add another aspect of Trevor's bee management back in the middle 1970s.  In the year I worked for him, he did not feed any sugar at all.  I'm pretty sure he didn't even have any feeders to put syrup in.

Most of Trevor's apiaries were on dairy/sheep land around the south side of Mt. Egmont/Taranaki.  For that part of the country, it was pretty light coloured honey through the main part of the season.

But Trevor also had sites up the Taranaki coast as far as Urenui, and some in the rough land out behind Stratford.  Those hives produced manuka, and plenty of it. 

Trevor had no means of dealing with/extracting thixotropic manuka honey - that was his sugar substitute!

When we would take honey from the hives around the mountain, it would be *all* the honey, even digging down into the second box.  And once you got all that fine clover honey to extract - you would feed back the manuka.  Remember, back then if the HMA Honey Grader could taste any manuka, it would take 5 or 10 cents off the payout.  That's assuming you hadn't ruined the drawn combs trying to get the honey out of them...

One part of me really liked that approach (forgetting about it being manuka for the moment...) but I have since seen sugar syrup and other sugar formats used too effectively to ignore.  As someone mentioned, that ability to stimulate/not stimulate the broodrearing as needed for the region.

I think Trevor had it worked out pretty well: he was able to use the (low value, impossibly to extract, undesireable) manuka honey for all of the feeding purposes, while maximising the (high value, more traditional, sought after) clover honey he was able to extract.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2020 at 11:59 AM, Gino de Graaf said:

Come on Maggie! It's about the story... A spinner. Full of feel good images, and your love for nature and bees as you inspect hives naked. In sunshine, in harmony.. Oh and people too.. 

Hey Maruman, get a load of promo checking queens in the nude. 

• Haha 1