• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forget long-range forecasts. They are extremely unreliable and only indicate general trends. The only really accurate one comes from NIWA and they can be relied upon to be 100% wrong. My father h

At the moment I have paid Phil to mix mine, due to the fact We have been down sizing on staff and cant do everything ourselves.  but do believe that as we have to keep cost cutting I will ne

Think I can feel a drought coming on......    

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Alastair said:

Think I can feel a drought coming on......

The long range Metservie forecast shows 20-30% dryer than normal north of the central south island in November but wetter than normal south of this in September.

Extract

Key conclusions:

• A prevailing southwesterly regime through September will allow for cold/wintry outbreaks, snow at times, possibly even fog or frosts. Late in the month expect a shift from southwesterlies to more settled weather as a blocking high takes hold.

• As we head into October and on into November, blocking High pressure becomes dominant. This pattern brings settled weather, with below normal rainfall and above average temperatures, to most regions of New Zealand.

• On the whole this forecast is for a warmer than average spring, primarily due to the settled weather expected in late spring.

• This forecast is for a drier than average spring – thanks to the blocking high from October onwards. This will be least obvious for the lower South Island.

• Good Info 2

Forget long-range forecasts. They are extremely unreliable and only indicate general trends.

The only really accurate one comes from NIWA and they can be relied upon to be 100% wrong. My father has also pretty good at getting it completely wrong but he's not quite as accurate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I think you are right a bout the drought, it would be the driest i've seen it for at least 12 years here in Marlborough,

had a few hives with the start of new queen cells, one with a supersedure cell as well, seems the bees maybe thinking the same thing

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Quite dry here too. The lake to the right ‘should’ be full...

Looks like Lake Lindon.. spent a magic week on the best coast during school hols, looked at Lindon on The way past and thought Wowee that’s low.. my cockie mate recons springs gonna be real wet.. me I’m not so sure .

interesting to see the bees are chewing staples again this season.. last season they hardly touched them.. is it a sign I wonder 

• Good Info 1
59 minutes ago, Bighands said:

To me it looks as though every thing is early

Pussy willow at a site today is right on track according to my flowering notes Of last season.. 2 trees blooming now majority on track as per last year. Bees strong with drone and cups well underway. Holding back on adding ox staples til next round.. found a mite in D brood today.. have only treated hives with 2 boxes of bees . All be treated next round. 

• Like 3

Saw wots left of tha lake out of am Ambo window on way to chch hosp on saturday. Broke me leg. Lowest ive seen it. Looked in hives week before and all lookin great, heaps of feed still with fresh nectar/pollen comin in. Have ten hives,couple will need thinning down abit, full of bees and about five frames brood. Once can get round on crutches will do and put Apitraz in.

• Like 3

I am a bit over halfway through my spring round and so far the hives aren't too bad but they are a bit weaker than normal. Given the extended autumn drought we had I am quite pleased with how they came through.

Given the very warm early winter I thought they might have been a bit hungry but so far everything is quite a bit heavier than I expected.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1
18 hours ago, Stoney said:

. Holding back on adding ox staples til next round.. found a mite in D brood today.. have only treated hives with 2 boxes of bees . All be treated next round. 

Is that normal time for you to start staple treatment.  I have been surprised that most of our staples are hardly touched.  Am really happy with what I am seeing with staples.  We are putting staples in this round but doing it according to brood numbers allowing for a couple of weeks expansion before the next round.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
41 minutes ago, fieldbee said:

Is that normal time for you to start staple treatment. We are putting staples in this round but doing it according to brood numbers allowing for a couple of weeks expansion before the next round.

Yip.. Absolutely agree 

• Like 1

What goes up must come down.  The last two winters have been warm, the last two springs diabolical - lotsa rain & hail through to the third week of Oct.  Last year no blackcurrant honey as a by product on the pollination contracts.  So far, everything aligning up to repeat this spring.  

• Agree 2
14 hours ago, Alastair said:

Maybe that's the OA/GL secret, don't overtreat. 

Last year we sold some hives that were treated with staples, the other beek rejected some and a few of their comments were they looked as though they were over treated.  We are running 2 high brood in full depth boxes.  At the end of the season treated according to brood numbers. 1 staple over every 2nd frame of brood.  Have been very happy how they have come through the winter.  Still learning but like ox staples.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1