Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I thought you were being ‘funny’ Maru...

 

From Lrft to right....

 

Modified stripper puller, bent tool in need of stiffening, The Tool,  and the virgin tool.

593B8440-7A92-4FB0-B113-3DA048DB8CDC.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This morning was a multi tasking day.. a prep day for Monday.. I shifted some new double Nuc boxes to a site ready for Monday’s job of transferring .. time to cut the cold core flute Nuc box from my o

I think if the AFB was found and reported by a beekeeper then they are far from a useless beekeeper and jn fact are very good beekeepers first for finding it and second for reporting it.   I

Hives are absolutely pumping, still 4 weeks left before my bayvarols due out, just wondering if I'm gonna need to super a few weeks early. Doubles are almost ready for splitting and queen rearing

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I thought you were being ‘funny’ Maru...

 

From Lrft to right....

 

Modified stripper puller, bent tool in need of stiffening, The Tool,  and the virgin tool.

593B8440-7A92-4FB0-B113-3DA048DB8CDC.jpeg

So you have working for you, a Stripper, a Virgin, a Bent fellow and a Tool. Happy Days.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I thought you were being ‘funny’ Maru...

 

From Lrft to right....

 

Modified stripper puller, bent tool in need of stiffening, The Tool,  and the virgin tool.

593B8440-7A92-4FB0-B113-3DA048DB8CDC.jpeg

Plus Peanuts. Odd one out, the one with the the toe nail cutter looks interesting

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah ... nuts to the Stripper and the virgin.

Took a walk today to get some perspective on life.

It was all very simple .... follow the trail of those who have gone before....

37E0003B-7CEA-4C1D-ADFF-D08D1CD3AE35.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jamesc said:

Ah ... nuts to the Stripper and the virgin.

Took a walk today to get some perspective on life.

It was all very simple .... follow the trail of those who have gone before....

37E0003B-7CEA-4C1D-ADFF-D08D1CD3AE35.jpeg

And while doing the miles, I had a thought.

The Stripper and The Virginnare lined up in the old grafting room. It’s called the Love Shack, on accont of the Lag who built it for us. Just out of jail, he had that tune on his mind.

So , back to peanuts.... The Stripper and The Virgin have been playing with peanut butter annd honey.

But what happens in the Love Shack stays.... right.

Meanwhile The Bender was washing frames and the tool had B’d off.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Took a walk today to get some perspective on life.

It was all very simple .... follow the trail of those who have gone before....

i'm planning a little walk at the moment. From the west coast (south island) over to mt patriarch, then backtrack and down the karamea for a bit, up a hill for a look at the ridge along to mt arthur - a little nervous about cruising over the twins solo - then up and across into golden bay. Obviously needing some perspective this october

edit to tag @yesbut cos i think he likes walking as well as riding motorbikes?

Edited by tommy dave
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tommy dave said:

i'm planning a little walk at the moment. From the west coast (south island) over to mt patriarch, then backtrack and down the karamea for a bit, up a hill for a look at the ridge along to mt arthur - a little nervous about cruising over the twins solo - then up and across into golden bay. Obviously needing some perspective this october

edit to tag @yesbut cos i think he likes walking as well as riding motorbikes?

I used to like wandering around. Now I get bored walking uphill then down again. No need to be nervous about twins, they're an easy sidle on the Ellis side. South Twin is easy enough to top, but I've never had the nerve to cling along to the North. I dunno why you'd backtrack from Patriarch, it's a nice trip along the Arthur range.

 

Edited by yesbut
  • Good Info 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, yesbut said:

No need to be nervous about twins, they're an easy sidle on the Ellis side. South Twin is easy enough to top, but I've never had the nerve to cling along to the North. I dunno why you'd backtrack from Patriarch, it's a nice trip along the Arthur range.

good intel, i hadn't looked into the twins sidle, just over the top. Might need to do more digging!

as for the patriarch section, i'd heard some interesting things over Mts Sodom and Gomorrah - again, more digging, and probably sidle options

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

good intel, i hadn't looked into the twins sidle, just over the top. Might need to do more digging!

as for the patriarch section, i'd heard some interesting things over Mts Sodom and Gomorrah - again, more digging, and probably sidle options

Thanks!

I've never had any drama along there, but I'm very ready to sidle whereever there's risk of  adrenaline If one insists on sticking to the crest.....

  • Good Info 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got an AFB alert message, rats, all my sites were out of the red zone on apiweb until now, Suxs having useless beekeepers around, if everyone done their job there wouldn't be any.

Hope it wasnt found dead!

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tommy dave said:

good intel, i hadn't looked into the twins sidle, just over the top. Might need to do more digging!

as for the patriarch section, i'd heard some interesting things over Mts Sodom and Gomorrah - again, more digging, and probably sidle options

Thanks!

Don't forget the EPIRB.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jamesc said:

I thought you were being ‘funny’ Maru...

 

From Lrft to right....

 

Modified stripper puller, bent tool in need of stiffening, The Tool,  and the virgin tool.

593B8440-7A92-4FB0-B113-3DA048DB8CDC.jpeg

The pliers tool is a good idea😆

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/08/2020 at 10:23 PM, Bee Real said:

I support Gino’s sugestión lets have a National Varroasis and AFB Pest Management Plan! 

At the end of the day to manage AFB you first need to manage varroa!

AFB was on the scene long before varroa

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/08/2020 at 7:26 AM, jamesc said:

I thought you were being ‘funny’ Maru...

 

From Lrft to right....

 

Modified stripper puller, bent tool in need of stiffening, The Tool,  and the virgin tool.

593B8440-7A92-4FB0-B113-3DA048DB8CDC.jpeg

Which one do you use for spreading the peanut butter

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Just got an AFB alert message, rats, all my sites were out of the red zone on apiweb until now, Suxs having useless beekeepers around, if everyone done their job there wouldn't be any.

Hope it wasnt found dead!

6.45 a.m today I also got an alert message.  I have three apiaries within a 14 km radius that are all within 2 km of AFB sites.  I thought we had got over all these large amounts of AFB in this area.

 

It is a concern that this area also includes the Leeston township and there will be quite a lot of unsuspecting hobbyists fall within this zone.  Hopefully its not going to run rampant in both the hobbyist and commercial sectors.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We had the most amazing entourage jangling & jingling down the main drag on Saturday morning, a grand

blend of anti covid, anti lockdown, anti 5G, and and anti 1080. 

  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, yesbut said:

We had the most amazing entourage jangling & jingling down the main drag on Saturday morning, a grand

blend of anti covid, anti lockdown, anti 5G, and and anti 1080.

Looks like the National and Green parties in your area have formed an alliance!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Maggie James said:

 I thought we had got over all these large amounts of AFB in this area.

 

As I look at the last map, Leeston was certainly a hotspot. When things are that bad, you don't just expect to wipe it out in one shot.

 

 

3 hours ago, Maggie James said:

It is a concern that this area also includes the Leeston township and there will be quite a lot of unsuspecting hobbyists fall within this zone. 

 

That. From what I have seen of the process of eliminating bad infections or sources over the years, once the main source or problem hives are identified you go in and deal with that. But when it involves robbed hives etc, the next year you get a bunch of unsuspecting innocents especially if there are hobbyists in the area, who come down with the disease and it takes at least 2 years to clean up the area. Also some of the original beekeepers hives that were not diagnosed originally will have shown the disease and require another cleanup.

 

I don't have all the inside info on the situation in Leeston, but you can probably expect cases to be popping up over the next several years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Maggie James said:

6.45 a.m today I also got an alert message.  I have three apiaries within a 14 km radius that are all within 2 km of AFB sites.  I thought we had got over all these large amounts of AFB in this area.

 

It is a concern that this area also includes the Leeston township and there will be quite a lot of unsuspecting hobbyists fall within this zone.  Hopefully its not going to run rampant in both the hobbyist and commercial sectors.  

I once found full hives in spring when I usually go around to hungry hives at 2 of my sites with a big bulge of honey under the top feeders and thought I wonder what's been flowering this early, nek minit I found 5 AFBs, I managed to destroy and not have any there again and the following spring I was inspected but thought sweet I get another professional to look at them and they were sweet but it did come from somewhere as I never had AFB prior to this but had found it half a dozen times working for another commercial company so thankfull I was able to catch it early.

 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Maggie James said:

AFB was on the scene long before varroa

I agree with you, but varroa was not in NZ when the AFB PMP was created.

 

Varroa weakens afb infected hives faster and they get robbed out earlier than what it used to happen before Varroa Arrived.

Also, PMS signs makes brood inspections for Afb harder and more expensive as they distract the beekeeper’s attention when inspecting the brood. (Far more suspect cells to check).

i have heard of many cases where beekeepers misdiagnosed PMS for AFB and vice versa. In both situations the outcome was very costly to the affected beekeeper.

if it becomes compulsory to treat your hives for varroa twice a year it may help in reducing horizontal transmission of afb and varroa re-invasion 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bee Real said:

if it becomes compulsory to treat your hives for varroa twice a year it may help in reducing horizontal transmission of afb and varroa re-invasion 

This just sounds like another layer of bureaucracy to me.  Beekeepers are already in overload with compulsive regulation.  I totally support the AFB PMP on AFB issues, but what will be the next thing that you are advocating becomes compulsory? 

 

If you are finding AFB inspections difficult because of PMS, then I suspect that you need some continuing education with networking, more experience, and need to find a decent club and join it, and if necessary get a second opinion as to what is occurring in your hive/s.  

 

Or are you an AP2 posting on here? 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...