I finally got a good day to inspect the hives today. I had seen A drone a couple of weeks ago at Tahi's entrance- didnt see any sign of drone brood inside today, so no idea where it came from.

It was mainly to get used to doing inspections again and make sure the brood looked all good- yep n' nice calm, good looking pearly brood, nice caps, didnt see eggs or the Queens  but I wasnt really looking for them, heaps of pollen and only one moldy old play cup.

One thing I noticed was with Rua, I had painted the top inside edges of the hive, hoping this would lessen the amount of propolis along these edges and it so far seems to have worked. So much easier to get the frames up and out with out 'fighting' them....oh and I just love my pointy edged frame grip/hate the round nosed one.

• Like 1
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This morning was a multi tasking day.. a prep day for Monday.. I shifted some new double Nuc boxes to a site ready for Monday’s job of transferring .. time to cut the cold core flute Nuc box from my o

I think if the AFB was found and reported by a beekeeper then they are far from a useless beekeeper and jn fact are very good beekeepers first for finding it and second for reporting it.   I

Hives are absolutely pumping, still 4 weeks left before my bayvarols due out, just wondering if I'm gonna need to super a few weeks early. Doubles are almost ready for splitting and queen rearing

Posted Images

On 8/1/2020 at 10:49 AM, jamesc said:

Yo ..... a big thanks to the staff at NZ Beeswax for sharing their secrets with us the other day. It's always a great moral booster to actually eyeball the person one is talking to and get that social interaction.

Tania showed us the new product from Bayer ..... the Bayergate mite strip that sits at the hive entrance and has holes that the bees squeeze through, rubbing themselves with pesticide.

I like the idea that one didn't have to open up the hive to administer them ..... just make up a whole heap of 'carriers' in the shed on a wet day and tuck them in the entrance, much like a mouse guard. No skill needed for that job !

I would have been curious too see the frame washer, but I gotta go to Hamilton for that.

Finally, seen the video a few years back and was wondering how long it would be before it would come out. Hopefully they slide into the smart bottom board entrances.

9 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Finally, seen the video a few years back and was wondering how long it would be before it would come out. Hopefully they slide into the smart bottom board entrances.

It seems odd to be treating foragers instead of nurse bees. I guess it could stop reinvasion, but first you have to get the mites out of the brood nest. There are some parallels with Covid 19, community transmission and border control (?).

I've designed several 3d printed entrances that try to combine elements of robbing guard, wasp tunnel, decoy area and screw on the outside of hive/nuc box. It would be fun to make one poorly that was porous so as to have a wet region where OAG was topped up in a reservoir and created a wet area with surface tension in the liquid making the entrance tunnel wet so the foragers walked it around the hive.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

They have been using it for about 3yrs in Europe with good results

On the continent, if the hives have a broodless period in winter and all the mites are phoretic that could be a factor (same as the use of OA Vapour in Europe).

After they have been running it for 3 years in Hawaii with brood all year round, that will get my attention...

However, it is great that people are developing new ideas and trying them, I'm all for it.

• Agree 1

A neighbour came up to visit today. He has an awesome property full of fruit trees and Kowhai and small sheltered paddocks that would probably make great Nuc sites.

He has dabbled in bees for years, and rings many a spring to say his bees have died and would I have a spare nuc. 

This year is different.  He has decided to retire from bees and  offered me a permanent site so he could get his fruit trees pollinated.

My neighbour knows heaps about everything and got talking about sodium, and how had I ever noticed how the bees liked to sup from dirty puddles.

Sort of.

He went on to say he was talking to another beekeeper a while ago who commented that one of his best sites is on a Natural farm with good  sodium soil levels.

My neighbour tells me his property now also  has good levels of soil sodium.

Big Hmm here.  Bees thrive on soil sodium ..... drawn up by plants and secreted in nectar .

Anyone for  Glyphosate ..... ?

The circle of life is a bit like computers...... rubbish in , rubbish out.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, jamesc said:

My neighbour knows heaps about everything

sounds like all of us ;)

i'm likely to be fairly peripatetic over spring. Imagine us drinking speights and spouting our respective views on carbon credits :)

or, even worse, me trying to survive a day of real/commercial beekeeping

Perfect.

Perhaps we should organise a night to wsrm the Honky Tonk .... the final stages of the Covid project.

Perhaps we could get a celebrity Unicorn to play Piano...

The interesting and enlightening thing about this project is that it was built mosyly from junk we had lieing around .

87C26A50-A7B9-4838-A555-70308AD1F38B.jpeg

• Like 3

Why not bid and see what you get .....  like the auctioneer said at the Coalgate Cattle sales today ...... $150 for a yearling heifer .

" stick some green grass in her and bring 'er back in two months and treble yer money !"

2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Why not bid and see what you get .....  like the auctioneer said at the Coalgate Cattle sales today ...... $150 for a yearling heifer .

" stick some green grass in her and bring 'er back in two months and treble yer money !"

helped manhandle a calf out of a ditch on saturday arvo. Dead on monday. saved on ammo cost i guess.

Just got another booking for my queen cell tut in Leeston on Sunday.  Can take several more.

15 degrees here today.  Have a cuppa and give the grafting yard a quick slurp of syrup.  Varroa levels incredibly low

• Like 1

My bees are loving this weather. They seem to be on a flow up in the valley’s. Barely a cell to spare. Had to undersuper (brood) a couple of singles today and have at least one double with 6-7 frames of brood. If we don’t get some rain and cooler weather soon there could be swarming probs on the horizon...

(got some photos to put up but they keep uploading sideways... any ideas @Grant? - I’m on an iPhone, but it has only been a problem for a few months)

22 hours ago, jamesc said:

Perfect.

Perhaps we should organise a night to wsrm the Honky Tonk .... the final stages of the Covid project.

Perhaps we could get a celebrity Unicorn to play Piano...

The interesting and enlightening thing about this project is that it was built mosyly from junk we had lieing around .

87C26A50-A7B9-4838-A555-70308AD1F38B.jpeg

a blind man would be pleased to see it, awesome and even the rustic door stop.

58 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

(got some photos to put up but they keep uploading sideways... any ideas @Grant? - I’m on an iPhone, but it has only been a problem for a few months)

Iphone or probably more likely safari always seems to have this issue. Yet I cant get to replicate it on my work iphone.
suggestions - try chrome, use the gallery as you can rotate in that.
in time - there is an upgrade coming that will allow you to use an app to view the forum, so that might also fix it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Stoney said:

I agree, went through a site today below the mountain, dew is really stimulating them.. majority of the 28 have drone brood  between the brood boxes, slabs of healthy brood and fresh white wax glueing them up.. surprised to see them this advanced with Queen cups built in the strongest.. 

I’ll pull the grunty ones out and use them as my cell raisers. 

Was 2 colonies here that missed the autumn varroa treatment somehow.. both have visible mites and were given meds and emerging brood to aid recovery. 

Definately too early for me to have this strength. They will be split into my weakest site next round. 

68DC7591-2480-4D29-9F7B-CFDF5D997A92.png

Hmmm .... the power of Bayvarol eh 😊 

• Haha 2
On 6/08/2020 at 8:34 AM, ChrisM said:

On the continent, if the hives have a broodless period in winter and all the mites are phoretic that could be a factor (same as the use of OA Vapour in Europe).

After they have been running it for 3 years in Hawaii with brood all year round, that will get my attention...

However, it is great that people are developing new ideas and trying them, I'm all for it.

They may work well if someone is using bayvarol strips in the same time. But the costs then........

6 hours ago, jamesc said:

Hmmm .... the power of Bayvarol eh 😊 

Certainly done it’s job jimmy.. and now the spring build up varroa battle begins..

what have you decided to use as spring medicine this time round?