• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This morning was a multi tasking day.. a prep day for Monday.. I shifted some new double Nuc boxes to a site ready for Monday’s job of transferring .. time to cut the cold core flute Nuc box from my o

I think if the AFB was found and reported by a beekeeper then they are far from a useless beekeeper and jn fact are very good beekeepers first for finding it and second for reporting it.   I

Hives are absolutely pumping, still 4 weeks left before my bayvarols due out, just wondering if I'm gonna need to super a few weeks early. Doubles are almost ready for splitting and queen rearing

Posted Images

On 29/08/2020 at 7:10 PM, Bighands said:

What give the right to go into other peoples beehives? I get ####ed off when other beekeepers have looked at my hives.I personally could not care what other beekeepers around me are doing as long as mine are ok.Where are your ethics James?

If there's no activity, no ones been to look at them for some time and the landowner gives the ok I'd have a nosy especially if near my sites.

• Agree 2

Got to have a look through a few hives on Saturday.. all got lots of bees. Queens in top box with 4-6 frames brood,some drone brood to,put apitraz strips in.Bottom box mostly empty so swapped around and put new box on top with 5 honey and 5 empty comb. Will check in 3 weeks and move strips to new brood and check feed supplies an look for swarm cells. Hope to do rest of hives Wednesday in the sun 😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

If there's no activity, no ones been to look at them for some time and the landowner gives the ok I'd have a nosy especially if near my sites.

Just remember that is not the land owners property or their  place to give permission to take a look

You might end up with the police knocking at your door.

I have seen wanted posters, complete with photos, put up when hives have been tampered with.

Edited by morporks
  • Agree 1
3 hours ago, morporks said:

Just remember that is not the land owners property or their  place to give permission to take a look

You might end up with the police knocking at your door.

I have seen wanted posters, complete with photos, put up when hives have been tampered with.

If they're dead and havent been getting serviced then why not? And if they had AFB  or not I'd be reporting it straight away.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Went up to taranaki on saturday morning. Bit of a drive, some beekeeping, hanging out with my recently single sister and her two kids (three and under one), then on sunday half a day of re-wiring a fence, working on some irrigation etc, then back to wellington sunday night. 

Interesting going through the hives i have up there bordering the national park, last opened in may sometime. Bit of fuchsia flowering around the place, some gorse, and didn't see much else but didn't go for a decent look around either. Three of the four hives had drones walking around, and plenty of frames of emerging worker and drone brood. Don't think they stopped during winter. The fourth had been a bit more chill, only a few frames of worker brood - so had almost two boxes of honey on...

Added strips, added space, might put a couple of swarm trap hives out just in case next time i'm up in about three weeks. Next time i'm up there i'll also be getting a couple of people i've known since i was six to go through the hives with me - they're keen and interested, and like the idea of learning with someone else's (my) hives before deciding whether to get their own. Might end up being that they simply run my hives up there and deal with the honey, with me helping out from time to time. Similarly, a mate is keen to help/run my hives in dunedin for me in exchange for the first 30kg of honey per hive - which suits me down to the ground so long as he extracts it himself!!!

Found a couple of buckets of honey i hadn't jarred up, got most of that sorted so at least the 2019/20 harvest is in jars before the 2020-21 one kicks off.

based on what little i've seen this late-winter, i suspect it's going to be a frantic spring for all the commercials out there. I wish you good weather, sufficient supers, good health, and willing buyers at a price that makes you smile

• Like 3

Opened up the school hives today for a look. One of the hives I had put a feeder above it, then sitting on that I had placed a box of wets to be cleaned out. I left it like that all winter. So today I lifted off the wet box and the feeder and took a look. Empty frames, very few bees. So my hive died, I thought. But that didn't seem right because it had been very active at the entrance. There were a large amount of bees sitting in the feeder, so I take a peek in the wet box. The queen had migrated up through the broodbox, through the feeder and up into the aforementioned wet box, now merrily laying and 5 frames of brood. I hadn't realsed a queen would move that far. My only experience has been queens finding the lightest gap in a queen excluder and being in the wrong place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Markypoo said:

One of the hives I had put a feeder above it, then sitting on that I had placed a box of wets to be cleaned out. I left it like that all winter.

2-3 days tops for clearing out wets...

edit: oh, and don't do it during a flow...

Edited by tommy dave
38 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

2-3 days tops for clearing out wets...

edit: oh, and don't do it during a flow...

I was just basically storing them on top of the hive. I had meant to put a hivemat on top of the feeder, but never got round to it.

• Like 1