The evening is quiet

Dogs sleeps as dogs do by the fire

Gently the sun sinks and paints the hills red

And in the evening peace we watch in silence as a world  struggles on a lurid screen 

The evening is quiet

The Doctor and I commune

Spring springeth slowly

A slumbering force awakening in a tinge of green

And as the sun warms the valley mornings

The Doctor ,Dog and I lift our hearts unto the hills

For this this is the time 

To light the Smoker and give thanks for rebirth.

• Like 2
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This morning was a multi tasking day.. a prep day for Monday.. I shifted some new double Nuc boxes to a site ready for Monday’s job of transferring .. time to cut the cold core flute Nuc box from my o

I think if the AFB was found and reported by a beekeeper then they are far from a useless beekeeper and jn fact are very good beekeepers first for finding it and second for reporting it.   I

Hives are absolutely pumping, still 4 weeks left before my bayvarols due out, just wondering if I'm gonna need to super a few weeks early. Doubles are almost ready for splitting and queen rearing

Posted Images

But wait, there's more ....

The stripper and me

The virgin and Stella

The steady Old Tool

The young 'un with a turbo drool

Rock'n 'roll

The sun riseth

The sap flows

The stripper teaching the virgin to grow.

'No rush Bro,'

We'll take it slow.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
22 minutes ago, jamesc said:

But wait, there's more ....

Well, if the honey sale doesn't come thru, perhaps write a book of poetry based on your life experiences.  I would expect an autographed copy.  

This really does have a Banjo Paterson ring to it, being all rural, and he was made a Baron!  

4 minutes ago, jamesc said:

bar tab  at Coalgate will suffice !

Now there's an idea for a non political meeting.  Do they have accommodation? How many do you think we could get in there?  Would they give us free hire, if we said we would rock up with a few others?  

Aye for sure ..... The Coalgate is in the business of keeping people happy.   No accomadation. Reminds me of the time I rode the nag up to the Races at Hurunui. Such a scorcher of a day I downed three jugs and passed out( sort of) in the sheepyards on the other side of the road from the tavern.

Race day was good. The Arabian  Mare bolted and found an extra gear and we got a ribbon. That was a Glory day.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, jamesc said:

I got some sheepyards ....

Flammin heck it's getting worse.  If it's going to be at yours, I reserve the most comfortable bed in the staff quarters, with the log burner going all night.  And I won't be climbin up that darned hill in a hoar frost, if I need a pee in the night.  

4 minutes ago, jamesc said:

We are by nature migratory beekeepers.  I enjoy it as it gives me time on the road ..... at this time of year we are tripping with boxes of honey sweetening landowners, renewing acquaintances, getting shoved out of sites, and making deals on new sites.

In this post Covid era I have become adept at swiping the app at retail outlets, but am still a bit backward in coming forward meeting new people, which is a shame.

It's an interesting trip.  Many of the old wateringholes are closed down, or we are socially distanced with little inclination for communication.

I camp in the truck rather than lay my head on a pillow that has had  who who knows who on it the night before ..... signs of paranoia ?

One of the more  interesting things has been talking to landowners who haven't seen their beekeeper for a while ....

The hives are still there .....and  out of curiosity  I suggested to landowner today we crack a lid.

All the hives were dead ...... and there were quiet a lot of them.   The other interesting thing was they had O/A staples in them.

And in the quiet of my camper ,as baked beans warm on the jet boil .... I reflect on the day and what I have seen, and it is not a picture of an industry in good shape ...... 

What give the right to go into other peoples beehives? I get ####ed off when other beekeepers have looked at my hives.I personally could not care what other beekeepers around me are doing as long as mine are ok.Where are your ethics James?

7 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I suggested to landowner today we crack a lid.

All the hives were dead ...... and there were quiet a lot of them.   The other interesting thing was they had O/A staples in them.

LOL you stirrer you B|

11 minutes ago, jamesc said:..and  out of curiosity  I suggested to landowner today we crack a lid.

All the hives were dead ...... and there were quiet a lot of them.   The other interesting thing was they had O/A staples in them.. 

Sounds like a clear case of synthetic treatment poisoning to me.. 

The oxalic staples are used to bring it back to life😂 
hows the Truck cab after the baked beans? ... you reap what you sow I spose ;)

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Bighands said:

What give the right to go into other peoples beehives? I get ####ed off when other beekeepers have looked at my hives.I personally could not care what other beekeepers around me are doing as long as mine are ok.Where are your ethics James?

I have no ethics Bighands, as you well know.

In this dog eat dog era we live in, Big dog eats little dog ,,,, and if a landowner wants bees for a job, he has a right to know that all is good. 

Landowners with quality Manuka expect a good return , and get really peed off when it does'nt eventuate.  

Such is the world we live in.

3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Sounds like a clear case of synthetic treatment poisoning to me.. 

The oxalic staples are used to bring it back to life😂 
hows the Truck cab after the baked beans? ... you reap what you sow I spose ;)

The camper is good.

The sleeping bag will be wet with condensation in the morning as the camper  used to be a dog box, but the peace and serenity of the beach makes up for all of that.

I used to shift a lot of hives but these days all my sites are permanent and life is just so much easier.

As to looking in other people's hives, in the past if we ever saw a lid off or a hive knocked over even if it was someone we didn't like (and there weren't many) you would  always hop the fence and straighten things up but not anymore. I have on very rare occasions Inspected hives at a landowners request when they have been obviously abandoned and un-worked for a considerable period. The last time was a few years ago and all the hives were well and truly dead and the apiary was also pretty much central to a bad AFB outbreak two years before. A lot of the gear was also stolen from another beekeeper and I returned it all with the strong advice to burn it all. You couldn't tell if it was infected or not as there was nothing left inside. The landowner had been going to sell all the gear. But as a general rule I agree that you don't look in other people's hives.

• Agree 1

You are right John ..... but sometimes beekeepers promise the earth and deliver very little. Sometimes landowners need a little bit of education .....

If you have quality Manuka, you need a Beekeeper who can deliver bees  that will  do justice to what is on offer.

Anyway, the  beans are warm and   the rain is wet .   

On 15/08/2020 at 11:36 PM, Stoney said:

This morning was a multi tasking day.. a prep day for Monday.. I shifted some new double Nuc boxes to a site ready for Monday’s job of transferring .. time to cut the cold core flute Nuc box from my outfit..  

36 yrs ago I met Pete.. now pushing 80, he taught me how to catch the wily wild pig.. wearing adidas track pants and a swanny with a 1942 303 bayonet strapped to his waist Pete would tear off through the thick deadly flowering gorse into the Ashley forest leaving me.. a 9yr old behind .. to deal to the notoriously fast running boars that his dogs would catch every weekend.. I would be ridiculed at school on mondays as my bare legs filled with gorse prickles and scratched face drew attention.. 

Pete met me at the farm today, with my dogs dragged out of retirement following a call from the cocky regarding his new grass paddock.. well we found the culprits..in the gorse of course.. this time Pete was left behind as my dogs did their job, a glimmer in his eye as I relayed the action to him.

Gorse.. some hate it, I love it.

My hives love it and tomorrow’s roast loved it too. Long live the gorse. 

1D2DFA5D-3AA5-4D7C-B5C6-B01F5B5639DF.png

Mmmmmmm honey roasted wild pork. Awesome story. Heartwarming to see an older hunter out there doing it. Good on you Stoney for taking him there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1