• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just watched the big expose on TV one about roundup in manuka honey. Man they must be short of news to put on such a anti roundup biased piece of garbage. No mention of other honey types which

What a blatant piece of advertising from purity to the detriment of every beekeeper in New Zealand. As for some of the crap from the other beekeeper . Saying that hives have died from roundup poisonin

If I had any doubts about television journalism then I have no longer. I just read an article on the TV one News online about how an incest repellent may help protect you from covid . I'm not sur

Posted Images

Apparently it took a month to make that news article so goodness knows how long it will take for them to make a balanced and informed reply.

I wonder if the news item about honey being the best thing for coughs was their way of an early apology.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 2

Not sure what to believe in the news these days.

The other night our CEO of APINZ was filmed saying the industry is in good shape .... and today I read that Comvita is laying off 90 staff.

Maybe we have different ideas of 'Good Shape.'

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
2 hours ago, jamesc said:

Not sure what to believe in the news these days.

The other night our CEO of APINZ was filmed saying the industry is in good shape .... and today I read that Comvita is laying off 90 staff.

has all the publicity about honey being a cure for colds increased honey sales

5 hours ago, jamesc said:

And there is still beeks buying up more beekeeping gear and hives, it must be in good shape, you still here beekeeping, and a lot on this forum still beekeeping. What you should say is, it is not at the highs of a few years ago but its still in good shape. Better than being in the tourism game at the moment, now that's not in good shape. Comvita not wasting a good crises, and clearing house a bit, they still made a shi.load of $$$$$$ this year.

• Disagree 2
7 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

And there is still beeks buying up more beekeeping gear and hives, it must be in good shape, you still here beekeeping, and a lot on this forum still beekeeping. What you should say is, it is not at the highs of a few years ago but its still in good shape. Better than being in the tourism game at the moment, now that's not in good shape.

I dunno I think a lot of us are still beekeeping because we have to.

Theres no one interested in buying a going concern down this way so just gotta keep going.

Not at the highs of a few years ago ? Still in good shape ?
not if you are sitting on your entire crop of honey from last season. 

• Agree 4
  • Sad 2
35 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

And there is still beeks buying up more beekeeping gear and hives, it must be in good shape, you still here beekeeping, and a lot on this forum still beekeeping. What you should say is, it is not at the highs of a few years ago but its still in good shape. Better than being in the tourism game at the moment, now that's not in good shape. Comvita not wasting a good crises, and clearing house a bit, they still made a shi.load of $$$$$$ this year.

Sorry Dennis, had to disagree. 

There is no way your business runs like comvita. Based on high turnover, they made a loss. And got more shareholding to reduce debt.

Probably turning the boat around.

There is real pain out there, and it concerns me that you don't see it. Especially that you're in the APINZ...

If you get the rub from the big fish then maybe you can see it that way?

Those big fish will keep eating sprats.  

Edited by Gino de Graaf
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

I’m thinking of printing a few t-shirts. 

Save the beekeepers, or there won’t be any bees.

Im generally Miss Mary Sunshine. I can find the positive in just about any SNAFU. I’m struggling to find it currently. 

However, I’m pretty happy about the NZ honey story. My concern is that the horse is well bolted.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The thing is .... if you watch Trademe and bees for sale, most are passing in.  There was a bunch of venom collecting devices for sale the other day. I had a thought to buy them, but after doing a bit of 'Due Dilgence' discovered that the Bee venom is now non eligible for EU  access.

The likes of Comvita will possibly survive the storm with it's ability to raise share capital from uninformed investors  to tide it through the lean times.

It's very hard for the likes of myself, or Frazz, or any other small fry to raise a couple of million to see us right.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again ..... Karen needs to get out more and read the mood on the street and then go beat her dustbin lid.

• Agree 1
4 hours ago, kaihoka said:

has all the publicity about honey being a cure for colds increased honey sales

not yet... but ..... I have honey on toast for breakie everyday, honey Sammies for lunch..... haven't had a cold for years ... and managed to avoid Covid so far.

• Like 1

You are missing the point, the beekeeping industry is in good shape. It just isn't what we are used to, and unfortunately some will not be able to stay in beekeeping. There are new young players who see things differently who are excited for their niche they have carved out and are making good money, some making bloody good money. But those that want to stay the way they were doing things during the last 10-15 yrs+ may not survive, but that is them, not the beekeeping industry. If you can't find your place in beekeeping as it goes through changes you will be left out in the cold. Just because we keep bees does not mean we have a business, you only have a business if you have clients, so go find those clients and then match your business to them, if you can't, then find something that you can do. Beekeeping is going through the same issues as all the other primary industries have gone through or are still going through, we are not exempt. I remember lots of very good farmers who loved their herds and were very good at animal husbandry going broke because they could not change their ways when things got tight, I saw a lot of kiwifruit orchardists lose their orchards because could not adapt.

Don't complain about it, go find your niche. That may mean that u have to leave the hives in the paddocks and go do something else until you can decide your direction.

I don't know why people think that just because we are beekeepers we are exempt from business reality.

Edited by Mummzie
  • Agree 2

@Dennis Crowley I beg to differ, but from where I sit, the bee industry is not in good shape.

You only gotta look at the figures.  Almost a million beehives in the country, that's up six hundred thousand on ten years ago ..... why .... silly question. Go google Manuka and look at finds that tell you how to make million bucks in the first year from bees.

Step one .... go get 1000 hives.

So every one did.

Step two.... go find some Manuka to put them on ..... and this is where it gets tricky , because there is the same or marginally more Manuka than there there was ten years ago, but then the Gvt stepped in  and what was Manuka is now not Manuka.....

So we've got an extra 600,000 hives chasing a limited resource.

That is a recipe for disaster and not  exactly a solid foundation to grow a stable  and financially secure industry on.

So you got an extra 600,000 hives all of a sudden producing a dark honey that takes a lot of hard work to sell at a world price that is below production cost. 

And yes, young fellahs are jumping into the industry ..... some  ..... but if heaps of young fellahs are jumping in, why then in a pandemic is the industry sweating because we can't import skilled labour from overseas ?

And what really annoys the crap out of me is that those who purport to guide  industry don't seem to give a damn about the vast majority,  who are struggling and going into yet another season knowing that they probably won't be able to make a margin on what they produce . 

But Beekeepers seem to be a stoic breed, and rather than stand up and voice their concerns and unite to talk about the issues and find a solution  generally stick their heads in the sand and do what they've always done.

And as we all know, if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got, which in this neck of the woods is diddly squat.

Sups on The Doctors special remedy, pulls the pin and ....... looks for another special remedy.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, Dennis Crowley said:

You are missing the point, the beekeeping industry is in good shape. It just isn't what we are used to, and unfortunately some will not be able to stay in beekeeping. There are new young players who see things differently who are excited for their niche they have carved out and are making good money, some making bloody good money. But those that want to stay the way they were doing things during the last 10-15 yrs+ may not survive, but that is them, not the beekeeping industry. If you can't find your place in beekeeping as it goes through changes you will be left out in the cold. Just because we keep bees does not mean we have a business, you only have a business if you have clients, so go find those clients and then match your business to them, if you can't, then find something that you can do. Beekeeping is going through the same issues as all the other primary industries have gone through or are still going through, we are not exempt. I remember lots of very good farmers who loved their herds and were very good at animal husbandry going broke because they could not change their ways when things got tight, I saw a lot of kiwifruit orchardists lose their orchards because could not adapt.

Don't complain about it, go find your niche. That may mean that u have to leave the hives in the paddocks and go do something else until you can decide your direction.

I don't know why people think that just because we are beekeepers we are exempt from business reality.

You're so out of touch Dennis. 

What stupid niche? Manuka? 

Carve what?? Get into a block by under cutting? Pottle up some pasture? Stock more ..

You think we are not working hard to keep ahead.

Leaving hives in a paddock until you work out what to do, !  Crazy talk and spin that into a industry doing well. 

I suggest you sitting smugly and not in a squeeze. You better hope that no young ambitious doesn't snatch away your loot. 

I thought you were representing small commercial.

You are backing winners. 

And you're a winner. 

Too bad losers.

So depressing to hear. 

Apinz equals top dogs.

Edited by Gino de Graaf
  • Like 2
18 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

You're so out of touch Dennis. 

What stupid niche? Manuka? 

Carve what?? Get into a block by under cutting? Pottle up some pasture? Stock more ..

You think we are not working hard to keep ahead.

Leaving hives in a paddock until you work out what to do, !  Crazy talk and spin that into a industry doing well. 

I suggest you sitting smugly and not in a squeeze. You better hope that no young ambitious doesn't snatch away your loot. 

I thought you were representing small commercial.

You are backing winners. 

And you're a winner. 

Too bad losers.

So depressing to hear. 

Apinz equals top dogs.

I didn't know you were a poet @Gino de Graaf  nice !

22 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

I have lost my sites, this year was the last one, been on them for 7-8 years. But I didn't go and complain I went out and found some more, I know what my clientele wants. If I didn't find any I still would of adapted to another string I have up my sleeve. That's what I'm talking about you need to look at what else you can do. The world does not owe you a living just because you are a beekeeper.

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

So we've got an extra 600,000 hives chasing a limited resource.

When I started there was only 250,000 hives, so should I complain about the extra 750,000 hives that have impacted on my pocket. And how many on here have come in after me, should they stop beekeeping so i can say we have a good shape industry. 

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

but then the Gvt stepped in  and what was Manuka is now not Manuka.....

Was it manuka though?

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

And what really annoys the crap out of me is that those who purport to guide  industry don't seem to give a damn about the vast majority,  who are struggling and going into yet another season knowing that they probably won't be able to make a margin on what they produce . 

You chose to become a beekeeper, an industry organisation didn't make you do it, you decide on your fate not an industry organisation, industry org can advocate on your behalf, so you can keep doing what you chose to do, but don't complain when the path you have chosen is not paved with gold.