7 minutes ago, Chrisdub said:

Was the price of NZ honey looking like trending back upwards in a way that might be difficult to compete for stocks again, and it became necessary to stomp it right back down to ensure that you have 'pick of the litter'? ,

Yep Chrisdub, thats it, you hit the nail on the head. A packer who didn't want to pay $4 for bushblend honey has decided to potentially ruin the whole honey industry to save themselves $1.00. Now off to get more tinfoil to repair my hat.

1 hour ago, Gino de Graaf said:

What's the bases of your complaint?

Be good to have some sound argument here to use in a complaint.

The facts are correct, glysophate residues in honey. That buyers overseas don't want that. The story in nut shell.

What's the argument? 

The side story? A brand got promoted.

Glysophate is present in lots of food.

Low residues compared to other countries.

Alarmists.

Need sound argument to uphold complaints.

I wouldn't expect that any of the complaints are upheld, but if there is enough push back, perhaps TVNZ will look into why an article that had "months" of research was so poorly received by players in the industry.

As you said, it was an alarmist piece, which did contain some facts, but also emitted a lot of facts that could have contextualised the glyphosate levels found in honey against the maximum residue levels and limits of detection.

Instead, it jumped from glyphosate in honey to cancer and lawsuits and then ends with a quote from a company that makes all these claims of being certified "Glyphosate Free" with nothing at all on their website to substantiate these claims.

27 minutes ago, Chrisdub said:

Puriti answered the (one and only ?) call, presumably they had something to say... but they could have been more truthful in that all honey is tested and that the levels are practically undetectable.  They just had an opportunity to  market the fact that some of theirs was luckily 'glyphosate-free".    

Very convenient call to answer given the unsubstantiated claims on the website.... Also, other than their own claim, I can't find anything on this website as to where the certification comes from or what the testing parameters are.

23 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Yep Chrisdub, thats it, you hit the nail on the head. A packer who didn't want to pay $4 for bushblend honey has decided to potentially ruin the whole honey industry to save themselves $1.00. Now off to get more tinfoil to repair my hat.

I doubt that was the exact scenario Dennis but I have seen some pretty awful things done by both beekeepers and packers.

Some of those things were done deliberately and some of them were just done stupidly. Nothing much surprises me anymore (although it still disappoints me).

Complaint done!  Let's get more doing it.  Pretty easy and as @ChrisM says, the more the better. 

There is a much more balanced article on honey\glyphosate in the farmers weekly. I would post for you except that I am technically challenged.

• Like 1

Found  this on their site

Comment by Mark Goodwin.

FARMERSWEEKLY.CO.NZ

• Like 1

This might be a bit out of the field of play, but has anybody tested imported propolis for glysophate either here or overseas? It sure would be nice to fire one back the other way :).

On the same tack, have their been some published papers overseas measuring glysophate in a range of honey jars in UK/USA supermarkets? Just how do we(you) compare?

23 hours ago, john berry said:

I doubt that was the exact scenario Dennis but I have seen some pretty awful things done by both beekeepers and packers.

Some of those things were done deliberately and some of them were just done stupidly. Nothing much surprises me anymore (although it still disappoints me).

That is sadly true - in fact one of the 'stupidly' things that was done was the loose use of the phrase "low grade" honey and aligning it with the 'low value' and - ahem - the strong inference that it was therefore, 'low quality'.  Then, when queried about the usage of 'words' was explained that it was just an industry term and that - ahem - it wasn't actually used in marketing to customers (was it? ...) horse bolted, door closed.  

• Agree 4

On 7/30/2020 at 2:18 PM, Dave_Angel said:

Very convenient call to answer given the unsubstantiated claims on the website.... Also, other than their own claim, I can't find anything on this website as to where the certification comes from or what the testing parameters are.

I was interviewed for almost 30 mins and I believed this was edited to about 10 seconds. In the full interview I was very clear that our testing was to demonstrate how clean New Zealand honey is and certainly not in the belief that Glyphosate would be prevalent. I also pointed out that in more than two years of testing we had only twice detected Glyphosate. I also pointed out that as demonstrated by the MPI testing in the article the levels detected have been well bellow the already incredibly low levels set be the World Health Organisation so probably less than 100 parts per Billion. As the news article clearly stated - The honey tested showing trace of Glyphosate was well below WHO safe levels and you would need to consume over a hundred KG per day to  break the WHO safety level. 

It was made clear that of all the brands we produce it is only PURITI that is excessively tested above legal requirements and market standards in all areas. It should also be noted that we are not alone in testing. Another very prominent Company/brand interviewed on the Sunday episode, clearly stated that they test every single barrel. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boot said:

I was interviewed for almost 30 mins and I believed this was edited to about 10 seconds.

Will you be putting in a complaint to TV1 re their editing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boot said:

I was interviewed for almost 30 mins and I believed this was edited to about 10 seconds. In the full interview I was very clear that our testing was to demonstrate how clean New Zealand honey is and certainly not in the belief that Glyphosate would be prevalent. I also pointed out that in more than two years of testing we had only twice detected Glyphosate. I also pointed out that as demonstrated by the MPI testing in the article the levels detected have been well bellow the already incredibly low levels set be the World Health Organisation so probably less than 100 parts per Billion. As the news article clearly stated - The honey tested showing trace of Glyphosate was well below WHO safe levels and you would need to consume over a hundred KG per day to  break the WHO safety level. 

It was made clear that of all the brands we produce it is only PURITI that is excessively tested above legal requirements and market standards in all areas. It should also be noted that we are not alone in testing. Another very prominent Company/brand interviewed on the Sunday episode, clearly stated that they test every single barrel. 

Happens all the time with TV, been there done that, you have a 30min interview when all they want is a clikbait sound bite that makes people watch so they can get ratings.

Courts are not about justice, they are about the Law, and media are not about the truth, they are about the story.

• Agree 3

37 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Happens all the time with TV, been there done that, you have a 30min interview when all they want is a clikbait sound bite that makes people watch so they can get ratings.

Courts are not about justice, they are about the Law, and media are not about the truth, they are about the story.

I agree with that, but the fact that the media are about the story doesn't make it right and it doesn't absolve us of responsibility to call it out. Edmund Burke evidently had the opposite point of view: “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ― Edmund Burke

That quote is a bit over the top for a trace levels of glysophate, but the media will just get worse and worse unless we push back when they mislead the public.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisM said:

unless we push back when they mislead the public

I seriously doubt any of them would have the nous to know what you were talking about or care enough to bother trying. 

• Agree 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, yesbut said:

I seriously doubt any of them would have the nous to know what you were talking about or care enough to bother trying. 

Unfortunately, you are probably correct.  Just the same as the media blame all the woes of USA on Trump.  He has only been President for 3.5 years.  What about all the politicians who have been in power for over 40 years.

Ah the Media. I wonder if anyone saw the snippet about the Black Lives Matter riots. The cop went to court for murder and the charge got thrown out.  It appears the victim was doing drugs and choking before the cops started to manhandle him .....

Which begs the question ..... did the media try its darnedest to topple the nation with twisted coverage ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, yesbut said:

Or was it that they were on the hunt. Had a conclusion in their head and selected the information to suit?

Edited by StephenP
Change phrase/meaning

18 hours ago, Maggie James said:

Will you be putting in a complaint to TV1 re their editing?

No - Everyone I have talked to (outside of the industry) that saw the news article seemed to have interpreted it quite sensibly. The one thing they picked up on was that even if you consumed hundreds of kg in one day you would still be at WHO safe levels. Even the 20% of tested store samples showing trace residue Glyphosate were all determined perfectly safe and below the very extreme safety WHO levels. So the real story was that New Zealand honey is so clean compared to other parts of the world that Every store sample tested was perfectly safe. Only 20% showed any trace and were so far below WHO safety levels you would need to eat Hundreds of kg in one day to even hit the WHO minimum safety level. 

• Good Info 1

29 minutes ago, Boot said:

No - Everyone I have talked to (outside of the industry) that saw the news article seemed to have interpreted it quite sensibly. The one thing they picked up on was that even if you consumed hundreds of kg in one day you would still be at WHO safe levels. Even the 20% of tested store samples showing trace residue Glyphosate were all determined perfectly safe and below the very extreme safety WHO levels. So the real story was that New Zealand honey is so clean compared to other parts of the world that Every store sample tested was perfectly safe. Only 20% showed any trace and were so far below WHO safety levels you would need to eat Hundreds of kg in one day to even hit the WHO minimum safety level. 

That we got glyso free was NOT the story. I have been explaining my point of view to plenty of ignorants. 

Nice spin though.  

• Agree 2

56 minutes ago, David Yanke said:

Nice try at putting a positive spin on the News Story, and your involvement in it. You were either very foolish, or very self-serving  to let yourself get involved. 

There can be no positive spin put on that story- it was damaging, and has come at a time when we can least afford Own Goals.

I respect your right to that opinion. 

• Good Info 1

Agree with David and Gino there was nothing good about that story and every single person outside the industry that has mentioned To me  has done so in a negative way .

Far as these people are concerned NZ honey has glyphosate in it and causes cancer. 

• Agree 3