Agree with you John. Main problem, if correct, is that some countries have no tolerance to any residue in products.

For those that didn't see it here's the link.

Weed-killer glyphosate found in New Zealand’s mānuka honey | 1 NEWS | TVNZ https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/weed-killer-glyphosate-found-in-new-zealand-s-m-nuka-honey

Posted (edited)

True. Glyphosate is near endemic, and there are traces of it in just about anything you can buy at the supermarket.

Also, it is not actual glyphosate they are finding, but the metabolites (residue after glyphosate has broken down).

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 1

I wonder who actually comes up with these types of stories ?

does someone approach a tv reporter and say they have a story or what ?

• Agree 3

Just simple proof that there is no “I” in team, not even a team of 5 million. 
Even at best, it’s not very thoughtful. 
Cheers tv1...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I wonder who actually comes up with these types of stories ?

does someone approach a tv reporter and say they have a story or what ?

Spot on Sherlock.

It's been directed by someone, to promote their Manuka product.

Did you notice the bee company involved was not disclosed...

I wonder who?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Spot on Sherlock.

It's been directed by someone, to promote their Manuka product.

Did you notice the bee company involved was not disclosed...

I wonder who?

A hint perhaps  a brand that claims his honey being glyphosate free..... stupid marketing!

• Like 2

There is a kind of advertising which is to attack a competitor product. This is used by some companies if they think they can score some points and make more money themselves. It is called negative advertising.

While it may give some advantage to one particular company, it is normally destructive to an industry as a whole.

Fact is that a high percentage of food consumed in the western world will contain trace amounts of glyphosate. By giving the impression to the average viewer that will associate NZ manuka with being loaded with roundup, long term will hurt us all.

• Agree 1

Well there ya go ......    so much to learn , still.  

Is Glyphosate translocatable from soil to flower as nectar flows  ?

Is Glyphosate translocatable from beehive entrance to honey combs as Bee keepers keep their yards neat and tidy ?

Or are investigative labs trying to drum up a bit of work ?

Or is it all just part of the big conspiracy?

I for one would be curious to send a couple of samples away for testing .

27 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Is Glyphosate translocatable from beehive entrance to honey combs as Bee keepers keep their yards neat and tidy ?

We had some tested a couple seasons back just to see where things sat so to speak.. the results were surprising to say the least.. And the honey wasn’t produced down country amongst the tractors and spray rigs.. the outfit I was employed by at that time has an organic only spray policy for sites only using WeedEnz suggesting the environment has been loaded with this stuff and it certainly is showing up in honey. 

My opinion is it comes in on pollen following spraying and not through nectar secretions where the plant has sucked it up.. 

Id say it spreads through the beehive on bodies and feet similar to oxalic/ glycerine giving everything a nice coating. 

• Good Info 3
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Alastair said:

True. Glyphosate is near endemic, and there are traces of it in just about anything you can buy at the supermarket.

Also, it is not actual glyphosate they are finding, but the metabolites (residue after glyphosate has broken down).

Our method detects glyphosate as well as glufosinate and AMPA: 
image.thumb.png.e692e60136165cc53f013a53c6213cfb.png

We put together the following about glyphosate too for those that are interested, tips for testing/sampling in this article too: 

img-122295246_l_50.jpg
ANALYTICA.CO.NZ

This article 'Glyphosate Residues in Honey' was written by Steve Howse (Analytica General Manager) and published in the NZ Beekeeper magazine in July 2019.  Click on the link...

• Good Info 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Kate R said:

Our method detects glyphosate as well as glufosinate and AMPA: 
image.thumb.png.e692e60136165cc53f013a53c6213cfb.png

We put together the following about glyphosate too for those that are interested, tips for testing/sampling in this article too: 

img-122295246_l_50.jpg
ANALYTICA.CO.NZ

This article 'Glyphosate Residues in Honey' was written by Steve Howse (Analytica General Manager) and published in the NZ Beekeeper magazine in July 2019.  Click on the link...

how much is a test I ve been told it’s expensive ?

it will be another test the beekeepers will be expected to pay for.

seems everyone is making money out of honey except the beekeeper right now.

was it Adams company “Puriti” that advertises as glyphosate free ?

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Agree 1

Here’s the link to the Puriti Honey debate that happened a while ago.

it will be interesting to see if a particular company is interviewed for part two of this so called news item. 
the whole Puriti and chemical residue debate was interesting considering the company is involved in seed production and pollination on the Canterbury plains. 

• Agree 3

I hope this is just a stupid beat up that has been created by the anti-chemical lobby. If it turns out to be deliberate negative advertising by  a honey company I think we will all have the right to be pretty upset with them .

There was a time when that sort of behaviour would have led to the person being ostracised by the beekeeping community but these days most of us won't talk to half the other beekeepers anyway.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

how much is a test I ve been told it’s expensive ?

it will be another test the beekeepers will be expected to pay for.

seems everyone is making money out of honey except the beekeeper right now.

was it Adams company “Puriti” that advertises as glyphosate free ?

I know the test is expensive. When i was Biogro, certified organic, I was asked to supply atest for my honey showing it was free of "glyphosate" because a farmer had used it and stated on his declaration. This was the eqarly 90's. The only place to test for it was Australia at 700nzd/test

1 hour ago, Bighands said:

I know the test is expensive. When i was Biogro, certified organic, I was asked to supply atest for my honey showing it was free of "glyphosate" because a farmer had used it and stated on his declaration. This was the eqarly 90's. The only place to test for it was Australia at 700nzd/test

Fortunately things have moved on a bit since then, and the test is now about a third to a fifth of that price, depending on who you go to and what you ask for.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jamesc said:

Well there ya go ......    so much to learn , still.  

Or are investigative labs trying to drum up a bit of work ?

Or is it all just part of the big conspiracy?

Same, I only use sprays after I've weedeated and come back around after the flow, now with my pallets making hives 16 inches off the ground and nowhere near spray will I get residues???

Hopefully not otherwise I got to go back to just weed eating which is alot of work.

10 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Same, I only use sprays after I've weedeated and come back around after the flow, now with my pallets making hives 16 inches off the ground and nowhere near spray will I get residues???

Hopefully not otherwise I got to go back to just weed eating which is alot of work.

I think it's everyone else's spray not just yours.

Nice Puriti plug at the end of episode 2.

They the best!

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, john berry said:

I hope this is just a stupid beat up that has been created by the anti-chemical lobby. If it turns out to be deliberate negative advertising by  a honey company I think we will all have the right to be pretty upset with them .

There was a time when that sort of behaviour would have led to the person being ostracised by the beekeeping community but these days most of us won't talk to half the other beekeepers anyway.

Might be Beeks.

The second episode played today on TV1 News at 6pm. Interviewed a couple of South Island outfits talking about their issues with glyphosate and talking about how they make sure their honey is pure.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Here’s the link to the Puriti Honey debate that happened a while ago.

it will be interesting to see if a particular company is interviewed for part two of this so called news item. 
the whole Puriti and chemical residue debate was interesting considering the company is involved in seed production and pollination on the Canterbury plains. 

and there you go Puriti front and centre.

Was it Adam boot or midlands that got in touch with the media with this “story” for  some free advertising ?

• Agree 3

Negativity around spray in honey has already started on FB.

I follow a number of honey companies pages and more than one has had some negative and uninformed comment.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

Who watches the news now.... But seriously, the farmlands guy helping me broached the topic today. He thought it was a bit rubbish.

Easy enough to contact Thomas Mead, I did! I suggest you do too.

To add, , is the Market for Manuka that poor that a bee company could behave so badly? 

Edited by Gino de Graaf
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Who watches the news now.... But seriously, the farmlands guy helping me broached the topic today. He thought it was a bit rubbish.

Easy enough to contact Thomas Mead, I did! I suggest you do too.

To add, , is the Market for Manuka that poor that a bee company could behave so badly? 

Uh Huh .....Lets do a bit of homegrown journalism tracking down who initiated the story .  I see that for a dollar you can sign up as a Stuff journo.