NZ Post Courier - Account and Arrangements for Queen bee delivery

We send our queen bees out to customers using NZ Post Couriers.  We pay for the postage online and print a label.

Delivery is usually pretty good, next day or the day after.

From time to time though there are significant delays in delivery which result in dead bees on arrival, and we incur the

replacement cost.

NZ Post's position is that they wont cover a loss on queen bee delivery, but  I have read that some queen bee suppliers have entered

into an arrangement with NZ Post such that if NZ Post loses a delivery / that there are significant delays resulting in dead bees

then NZ Post covers that loss.

Is anyone out there able to confirm if these arrangements do exist?

• Like 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CourierPost are all care and no responsibility.    We have used them for decades, and generally they are an amazing service.  We meet the Courier, most days during the shipping season, at Ta

Frazz for what its' worth I've found Fastways now Aramax to be the pick of the bunch. Really good service interisland anyway. 

These boxes take 50 queen cages when full. you can easily cut them down for how ever many you want to send and can easily tape them together to send more than 50. we have used them ever sinc

Posted Images

1 hour ago, CraBee said:

We send our queen bees out to customers using NZ Post Couriers.  We pay for the postage online and print a label.

Delivery is usually pretty good, next day or the day after.

From time to time though there are significant delays in delivery which result in dead bees on arrival, and we incur the

replacement cost.

NZ Post's position is that they wont cover a loss on queen bee delivery, but  I have read that some queen bee suppliers have entered

into an arrangement with NZ Post such that if NZ Post loses a delivery / that there are significant delays resulting in dead bees

then NZ Post covers that loss.

Is anyone out there able to confirm if these arrangements do exist?

CourierPost are all care and no responsibility. 

We have used them for decades, and generally they are an amazing service.  We meet the Courier, most days during the shipping season, at Taipa in the Far North at 16:00, and 99% of the time they are with our Customers the next morning.  But, if there is an issue, the most you can expect is a Replacement CourierPost Ticket, they never cover the cost of the Queens lost. 

We value the service, and understand if Beekeepers rock the boat too much, and demand them to cover the cost of the Queens lost(which they won't), then they will just stop carrying live bees. It is a very tiny part of their business, and they don't need the hassle.

To help the Queens get through, safely and on time, make sure that they are packaged properly, and clearly identified as Live Bees.  Do not stick them in Courier Bags or Envelopes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
55 minutes ago, David Yanke said:

CourierPost are all care and no responsibility. 

We have used them for decades, and generally they are an amazing service.  We meet the Courier, most days during the shipping season, at Taipa in the Far North at 16:00, and 99% of the time they are with our Customers the next morning.  But, if there is an issue, the most you can expect is a Replacement CourierPost Ticket, they never cover the cost of the Queens lost. 

We value the service, and understand if Beekeepers rock the boat too much, and demand them to cover the cost of the Queens lost(which they won't), then they will just stop carrying live bees. It is a very tiny part of their business, and they don't need the hassle.

To help the Queens get through, safely and on time, make sure that they are packaged properly, and clearly identified as Live Bees.  Do not stick them in Courier Bags or Envelopes.

Thanks David.  I agree they are usually pretty good.  Its frustrating when Queens die though with all the care put into them.  We send them in small cardboard boxes, with perforations in every side.  I am intending to be up your way within the next month and also intend visiting a friend of mine (ex-Auckland) who works there with you..

• Like 1

We also have used courier post for years but there's been a serious downgrading of service over the past two. We have had many queen packages delayed and one shipment arrived wet with all bees and queens dead.

We are currently looking at alternatives .

Frazz for what its' worth I've found Fastways now Aramax to be the pick of the bunch. Really good service interisland anyway. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

One thing I like about NZ Post Couriers is we can put queens out for collection in our rural letterbox and they are picked up every day.  I'm not sure if other courier companies offer the same service?   If they didn't we'd have to take them into the nearest depot every day and that becomes a hassle and interruption to the day.

On 7/22/2020 at 12:02 PM, yesbut said:

I use Aramex (Fastway) for all my courier stuff.  Great to deal with, prices are good, service is great. And I love the online booking system.

• Good Info 1
17 hours ago, Mummzie said:

image.png.f88c48ddd23e68e488d2f94962dcf877.png

@CHCHPaul These?

Ecrotec for a start

No, not queen cages. I’m after an appropriate postal / courier box for the queen cages to go inside. 

I’ve previously been sending queens in ventilated envelopes... and I’d rather something more specific to the task. 

I use posting boxes specifically for posting queens they come with a "Live Bees" label 

Leonie from Kahurangi queen Bees supplies them I can post some pics when i get home.

Highly recommend them.

• Like 1
On 7/25/2020 at 11:47 AM, frazzledfozzle said:

I use posting boxes specifically for posting queens they come with a "Live Bees" label 

Leonie from Kahurangi queen Bees supplies them I can post some pics when i get home.

Highly recommend them.

Thanks! Yes please to photos. 

These boxes take 50 queen cages when full.

you can easily cut them down for how ever many you want to send and can easily tape them together to send more than 50.

we have used them ever since Leonie got them made and wouldn’t use anything else. 

you can email her at.   leonie@kqb.co.nz

3A2E2EE4-5319-40DF-9FE4-2BA79C222F40.jpeg

59232E06-4850-4E0D-BF92-3E9311DA17E3.jpeg

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1
12 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

If a moderator knows how to fix that mess above feel free to do so :) 

Sorry Frazz, the extra space is within the photos you inserted. We don't have the tools, do we @Grant?

Thanks mummzie .

taking a screenshot then editing it is the only way I can get it to upload even then some photos are still too big and I can’t use them.

its a real pain not being able to post photos any more 

9 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

its a real pain not being able to post photos any more 

That is part of the donation system.  Along with the ability to send and receive messages.

Larger photos and messages are a bonus for being a donor.

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

That is part of the donation system.  Along with the ability to send and receive messages.

I live & learn.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
3 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

how big can photos be for a donor ?

ive been a donor in past hadn’t noticed any difference 

6 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

how big can photos be for a donor ?

ive been a donor in past hadn’t noticed any difference 

I am not sure what that is.  @Grant will have that info.

I have my phone set on the highest resolution possible and I have never been stopped from uploading images.

I wonder if some of the problem may be the data connection that you have.  I have unlimited data and speed and regularly have over 1000 mb upload speed.

12 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Trev are the benefits of donating unlocked as soon as payment is made or does it require the donor to open or activate something in particular? 

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

Trev are the benefits of donating unlocked as soon as payment is made or does it require the donor to open or activate something in particular? 

I am not sure how some of that works.  I hope @Grant can fill in those bits.

• Thanks 1
On 7/30/2020 at 8:32 AM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Larger photos are a bonus for being a donor.

No it isnt. Not being able to post images is a fault at the users end. There is no difference for donor/subscribers

https://www.nzbees.net/subscriptions/

16 hours ago, Stoney said:

If you make payment electronically its automatic. If you make payments manually you have to wait for me. 

• Thanks 1