Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Yay! I’ve been trying to get my brothers foot wound dealt with using honey. Some people just don’t get it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i hate to say it but there was a trail done which showed manuka was not good for treating leg ulcers. i have no idea why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our beekeeper neighbour is using it on sores on her elderly fathers legs And it’s doing a really good job.

She also uses it for healing cuts and scrapes on her horses.

my girls leg is getting better every day but I can’t say if it’s the honey or the antibiotics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

60604F44-5E0F-445D-B23B-749A632F2C3E.png

Ouch

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, tristan said:

i hate to say it but there was a trail done which showed manuka was not good for treating leg ulcers. i have no idea why.

 

Done overseas? The photos that Peter Molan showed of ulcers that had been treated during the original trials were very graphic in demonstrating the speed with which manuka acted.

Edited by Sailabee
  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Studies into Manuka healing have been documented.  But honey was used as a wound dressing long before the Manuka craze.  Honey wound dressings have been used for thousands of years.  

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what i understand, the wound dressing level for Manuka honey is 10+ according to Dr Molan, or what he would call "medical Manuka" I think the wound dressing market use 16-8+. The higher the + after 18 the less effective it becomes, or there is no better effect.

  • Like 2
  • Good Info 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the UK the NHS is recommending people try honey in hot water, with lemon juice for coughs before rocking up to their GP.  Not only does the NHS not want minor ailments rocking up unnecessarily to the GP, they want the population to avoid the use of antibiotics.  I don't see any comment about what honey varietal, so once again non Manuka is recognised as a health remedy.

 

Honey has also been used as a sleeping remedy for thousands of years.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Maggie James said:

Honey has also been used as a sleeping remedy for thousands of years.

 

That claim is not supported in the trails that led to the cough advice,

 

open-graph.b2674bec1a4b.png
WWW.NHS.UK

'Use honey first for a cough, new guidelines say' BBC News reports


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grant said:

 

That claim is not supported in the trails that led to the cough advice,

 

open-graph.b2674bec1a4b.png
WWW.NHS.UK

'Use honey first for a cough, new guidelines say' BBC News reports


 

 

 I'm not sure she was claiming that it was... as indicated by the new paragraph and the word "also".

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All honeys have the hydrogen peroxide effect.  And for many types of healing, that is enough, when combined with the hygroscopic effect of the honey on the wound.  That hygroscopicity (sorry - I just had to structure the sentence so I can use that word...) is what helps to keep the wound moist.  I clearly recall Peter Molan describing this aspect.  And then he followed up with a sudden, jarring photo of using honey for mastitis and other absolutely 'uhhh...' inspiring slides.  He was a delight to listen to, for sure.  You came away believing in the powers of honey, and manuka honey, in healing.  But also with some images that still disturb my mind...

  • Like 3
  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NickWallingford said:

All honeys have the hydrogen peroxide effect.  And for many types of healing, that is enough, when combined with the hygroscopic effect of the honey on the wound.  That hygroscopicity (sorry - I just had to structure the sentence so I can use that word...) is what helps to keep the wound moist.  I clearly recall Peter Molan describing this aspect.  And then he followed up with a sudden, jarring photo of using honey for mastitis and other absolutely 'uhhh...' inspiring slides.  He was a delight to listen to, for sure.  You came away believing in the powers of honey, and manuka honey, in healing.  But also with some images that still disturb my mind...

Manuka has a non-peroxide way of healing,.

When UMFA was doing work around trademark for Manuka they had to check other honeys for signature compounds they found manuka had approx 2300 different compounds, Kanuka about 1200, most were around 200-300 and clover about 100(clover has been mass bred for agriculture so perhaps some markers lost in breeding)

I understand and happy to be corrected that lepto scarparium (forgive my spelling) our manuka honey, has the non peroxide activity, but other lepto species plants do not.

  • Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a shame that Cleopatra did not know about manuka honey & wound infection.  Maybe it would have saved the girl from an asp wound.

 

Reputedly (sorry folks can't provide any scientific evidence but all are welcome to google to see if it is supported by scientific evidence) Cleo like to bath in YOUNG donkeys' milk, honey & oil.  To the extent she always traveled with  young donkeys for their milk.

 

HEE HAW HEE HAW (- that's a donkey noise Bray Bray) Ha ha

 

 

  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have treated nasty infected looking small wounds with alternating , tea tree oil,  christaderm ( spelling ??) and garlic and manuka honey .

If you apply crushed garlic to the skin and put over a decent cloth sticking plaster it will blister up the skin .The you can apply honey to the open blistered skin .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i tried rubbing some 20+ on my bank balance. 

It has no positive affect.  

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2020 at 5:14 PM, frazzledfozzle said:

My daughter Has a leg ulcer that’s being treated at the local doctors office.

I was pretty impressed when the nurse asked her if she would be OK with having Manuka honey put on it. 

 

C267602B-0A17-49D5-8325-0DF2F63AC8E3.png

If the ulcer gets worse (I hope it does not) talk to your lawyer. The honey in your picture is table honey not medical grade honey. I’m really surprised your doctor is using table honey on open wounds....

  • Chill Out 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For myself I would use table grade in preference to medicinal Manuka and I would rate manuka comb honey as a bit better again.

It's not just the UMF factor that makes honey an effective wound dressing.

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, john berry said:

For myself I would use table grade in preference to medicinal Manuka and I would rate manuka comb honey as a bit better again.

It's not just the UMF factor that makes honey an effective wound dressing.


We have been using our own Sample honey as a dressing and we are very happy with the results :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does the ulcer look now ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much better 

I took a photo but cant upload it cos it’s over the limit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Much better 

I took a photo but cant upload it cos it’s over the limit.

Just how high up is this wound.?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, john berry said:

Just how high up is this wound.?


mid shin area 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...