I have lost a hive and not sure what to do with the frames so any advice would be great, hive had swarmed twice in october and had been a weaker hive than my rehomed prime swarm. on wintering down i noticed that there was very little bees and very little fresh brood in this hive, tried putting a frame of brood from the 2nd hive but this only delayed things. I had treated both hives with oxalic acid for three weeks in a row last month and could not find signs of AFB but frames have mould on them. can i keep the frames ?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is absolutely normal to reuse frames from hives that have died. The secret to success is not so much knowing why the hive died but judging just how good you are at reading the signs. Some people un

Thanks to all for your knowledge and help,  I do not believe the hive died of AFB but will get it checked, i had done a ropiness test and i did not see any sunken caps or pupal tounge but as i am a be

Good to see that you are being analytical about this. Yes, great idea to get someone more experience to check it out.     My only comment here would be: In the event that you have two h

welcome to the forum @dean manners

Its important to be very sure there was/is no AFB before making the decision.

Are the frames plastic or wood and wax?

How used are they?

What is your beekeeping style and what are your future beekeeping plans ? start a new hive?

It is absolutely normal to reuse frames from hives that have died. The secret to success is not so much knowing why the hive died but judging just how good you are at reading the signs. Some people underestimate their abilities but an awful lot overestimate and I have seen innumerable occasions when someone thought they had no problem at all with AFB when in reality they really did. Get someone who really knows what they are talking about to have a look.

Your next problem is sorting out those that really know what they are talking about .

In the meantime you would be well advised to place the dead hive inside where no bees can have access to it.

If you do reuse the hive it is always best practice to keep the gear together as much as possible so that if you do make a mistake you will lose as little as possible.

• Like 1

Agree with comment immediately above.  Once you get someone that really knows their stuff to inspect the frames & make a diagnosis, & if you get the hive repopulated or start up with new gear, I always recommend for a beginner beekeeper that for the first two years they stick with proprietary manufactured varroa treatments.  Often beginner beekeepers lose their hives to varroa because they have treated too little too late. Learn about the basics is beekeeping first.  Beekeeping was a lot easier pre varroa!

I understand that organic miticide treatments will be the way of the future & that many commercial beekeepers use a combination of organic & manufactured treatments, but I believe it is a lot easier & effective for a beginner to stick to the proprietary manufactured treatments the first two seasons.  

Thanks to all for your knowledge and help,  I do not believe the hive died of AFB but will get it checked, i had done a ropiness test and i did not see any sunken caps or pupal tounge but as i am a beginner cant rule this out, i am using plastic frames which are a year and a half old, i keep all the equipment for my two hives separate and do not mix them, the exception to this is the one frame of brood which i put from my healthy hive into the weak hive to try and keep it going. i use the recommended varroa treatments ie bayvarol,apivar and use the oxalic acid in between these as an extra treatment. i had reduced the hive to 1 box and have wrapped and put in the freezer 6 frames that looked ok from the top box .

• Like 1

Good to see that you are being analytical about this. Yes, great idea to get someone more experience to check it out.  

My only comment here would be:

In the event that you have two hives that have started off the same & managed with the same hive manipulations, & one hive is weaker than the other, you must always ask yourself why is that hive weaker?  If it is substantially weaker I would query to myself has it got AFB & clinically not exhibiting yet, or has it got a varroa reinfestation?  Maybe one queen is older than the other or the hive maybe exhibiting sac or chalkbrood.  

All hives in an apiary don't necessarily forage the same floral source, unless it is very handy & most attractive to bees i.e. their foragers are targeting different floral sources or perhaps robbing a hive (either your other hive or someone else's).  

Edited by Maggie James
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Maggie,

I have had the hives checked by a couple of experienced beekeepers that have taught beginner courses and confirmed that there is no AFB , so our thoughts are that as the hive had swarmed 3 times that the numbers were to low to start with and the new queen was not the best, i had got 2 supers of honey off the hive that died and 5 1/2 supers off the hive that housed the prime swarm and is still going good. I will get some new bees for the dead hive and will keep all equipment separate as i do not want to do a split .I have removed the remaining frames and placed them in the freezer to kill anything else and will put them back into the brood box's and store them separate to the other hives box's.

Thanks again to all for the help