Comvita committed to propolis despite plant closure

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems to me a lot of acquisitions Comvita has made over the past 10 years or so haven’t stayed around long before being closed or written down to next to nothing .   Must be great to have

I wish as a NZ consumer I could pay “ world price” for butter and lamb.

Undersupply helps keep prices up and is way better than oversupply. I have no idea what this foreign propolis is like, it might be fantastic stuff which makes you wonder why they can't sell under thei

10 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

How? 

You're been trying and it sounds bloody hard. I don't have the resources to do it. I depend on Buyers and Marketers to work With me. The comments by Rob erk me greatly. Shows a great deal of disconnect. 

How to disconnect the chain .....  darn good question ..... you've either got to look at pollination as your main source of income and budget accordingly, looking at the honey crop as a bonus to add to your kiwi saver at some stage ...... maybe take a break and some time out ..... and put things in perspective .

There is no doubt trying to sell honey on your own  is like pushing a sloppy turd uphill with a garden fork ..... shame we couldn't  float the Co op idea , although I hear on the grapevine that Bruce hasn't totally dumped the idea .....

Every year we seem to have to tighten the belt another notch or two and learn some new survival skills .... maybe take on a marketing correspondence course. 

• Like 1

Time out... True. Though it avoids the obvious. Respite. 

It's not that I want great money, it's that it's hard work selling it.

Just cranky pants I guess. And not many on here seem to be having  many selling issues? 

Imagine the year buyers can't find enough non M to fill markets!! And they seek to find easy supply chain solutions overseas..... And say Beekeepers can't be bothered extracting it....it may well happen at this rate. 

We are having lotsa selling issues ..... but I'm not going to go there again.

The real worry is that we are back on the tools again in a couple of weeks  ......  wages, COF's, varroa treatments, fuel, hive site rentals , the list goes on ...... and when I rattle the piggy bank the dollar coin sounds pretty lonely in there ..... 

Hows the market looking for selling Beehives ....? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Time out... True. Though it avoids the obvious. Respite. 

It's not that I want great money, it's that it's hard work selling it.

Just cranky pants I guess. And not many on here seem to be having  many selling issues? 

well I can say we haven’t sold a single drop of this past seasons honey.

I know of plenty of beekeepers who also haven’t sold any honey or very little.

talking non Manuka , multi Manuka and mono Manuka .

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

there is a supplement company in Hamilton who's packaging proudly displays " 100 per cent New Zealand owned" , but the propolis  inside is  made with " local and imported ingredients "

I wonder if that company owner has a beehive in their backyard !!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Probably cause your pasture is 20 bucks per 500gm?? Go figure. Love to sell you some good pasture for say, 5 a half kilo. 

Win win. 

I am working with a beek on this site, specifically for non-Manuka.

Pricing is closer to yours than $20/kg. 

Like all of us, I wish the market response was better.

4 hours ago, Rob's BP said:

I am working with a beek on this site, specifically for non-Manuka.

Pricing is closer to yours than $20/kg. 

Like all of us, I wish the market response was better.

You have me wrong. I can easily find Marketers selling pasture and clover at 20 a Half Kilo! 

It appears that the brands hold an ethos that seek high prices. No matter what variety. And there is a belief that the Consumer will pay premium for a perceived value of product. That the consumer is not overly concerned at pricing. I reckon it's flawed thinking, that selling less at a higher price is ok.

Our non M then fail to get any traction, and the Marketers say there is no demand. End of sales. Happens too often.

At 20 a kilo to the consumer, subtract 4 for producer.

I am a lay man to costs from drum, jar mouth. Probably variable depending on how Premium it goes. 

But I see why it's not selling.

13 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

And they seek to find easy supply chain solutions overseas..... And say Beekeepers can't be bothered extracting it....it may well happen at this rate. 

Food producers in NZ have already found a cheaper option instead of using honey as an ingredient - it's called sugar

the manuka bubble has not popped but it is definitely not increasing in size anymore and indeed is showing some signs of deflating. Despite all the hype we hear about the market there are a lot of beekeepers with a lot of stock. It was  pretty good for manuka production last season and there is now a large oversupply.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

You have me wrong. I can easily find Marketers selling pasture and clover at 20 a Half Kilo! 

It appears that the brands hold an ethos that seek high prices. No matter what variety. And there is a belief that the Consumer will pay premium for a perceived value of product. That the consumer is not overly concerned at pricing. I reckon it's flawed thinking, that selling less at a higher price is ok.

Our non M then fail to get any traction, and the Marketers say there is no demand. End of sales. Happens too often.

At 20 a kilo to the consumer, subtract 4 for producer.

I am a lay man to costs from drum, jar mouth. Probably variable depending on how Premium it goes. 

But I see why it's not selling.

I hear you brother .

Without wanting to give too much sensitive info away ..... when we pack honey we put our honey into the jar at $20/kg. We then add cost of jar, label, labour and a bit of freight.

The customers don't seem to baulk too much.

So when Uncle @Ted tells me I am dreaming at $9.00/kg in the drum ..... it is a nice dream that turns out as reality.

The other thing I am a great fan is not selling too cheaply.  I prefer not to buy Chinese tools because they don't last.  If a product is worth slightly more, consumers are naturally inclined to think it is 'Good' ..... what ever that means.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1