• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On my Facebook feed ... never mind about Manuka, and love the 35+ !!

I'm torn about these total activity ("TA") measurements. One the one hand they're a perfectly legitimate measure of the activity of a honey, though on the other hand the use of the "+" designation rid

Don't even get me started on sunblock! The way that's tested it's no wonder there's so many exposés about it.  At least with TA, I suppose, a high number of equivalent magnitude to an NPA reading is s

Posted Images

I'm torn about these total activity ("TA") measurements. One the one hand they're a perfectly legitimate measure of the activity of a honey, though on the other hand the use of the "+" designation rides the coat-tails of manuka's non-peroxide activity ("NPA") and confuses the labelling issue further.

• Agree 2
38 minutes ago, Jacob said:

I'm torn about these total activity ("TA") measurements. One the one hand they're a perfectly legitimate measure of the activity of a honey, though on the other hand the use of the "+" designation rides the coat-tails of manuka's non-peroxide activity ("NPA") and confuses the labelling issue further.

Yes.  I put it into the realms of Sunblock.  We are lead to believe that the higher the number the better the product.

That same conditioning is being used in the marketing of honey.  I think this is very slightly underhand.

17 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Yes.  I put it into the realms of Sunblock.  We are lead to believe that the higher the number the better the product.

That same conditioning is being used in the marketing of honey.  I think this is very slightly underhand.

Don't even get me started on sunblock! The way that's tested it's no wonder there's so many exposés about it.  At least with TA, I suppose, a high number of equivalent magnitude to an NPA reading is still going to give you something with decent efficacy. It just may not necessarily be effective against the same things.

• Agree 2

Shame we can’t market our honeys using TA.

im pretty sure I remember being “outlawed” because we had to fit into the same labelling laws as Australia .

if that’s true it’s a shame it doesn’t work the other way.

• Agree 2
On 7/6/2020 at 3:37 PM, frazzledfozzle said:

Shame we can’t market our honeys using TA.

im pretty sure I remember being “outlawed” because we had to fit into the same labelling laws as Australia .

if that’s true it’s a shame it doesn’t work the other way.

Well, you could always label the honey with the actual peroxide content, since that's what causes the activity. I bet people wouldn't like that either though because its "chemicals". Can't please everyone I guess 🙄

3 hours ago, Jacob said:

Well, you could always label the honey with the actual peroxide content, since that's what causes the activity. I bet people wouldn't like that either though because its "chemicals". Can't please everyone I guess 🙄

I don’t think that’s allowed ?

15 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I don’t think that’s allowed ?

My understanding is that as long as you can prove the claim you're making then it's allowed*. That's why we can label with MGO which can be objectively measured in a lab, but can't label with NPA because it's an inferred health claim which is difficult to prove. The parallel here would be labelling with the actual peroxide content as measured objectively by a laboratory, rather than the total activity which again is an inferred health claim.

* however I'm a scientist not a food labelling expert so don't quote me on that 🤣

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1